can i transfer from one hub to another and keep seniority

ok so im about to start working at a ups hub in my town. i live about 45 from chicago and hopefully will live there in the near future. if i was to work at my local hub for say two years and transfer to the chicago hub, would those two years count for something or would i have to start new?

The Milkman

Whenever you transfer, at least when I was driving I believe you do not lose your company seniority but you lose your center seniority. So when a rte comes up for bid the driver that is there before you transfered will have a crack at the rte before you. You do not lose vacation time credit and I believe if it comes down to layoffs ,company seniority will apply.. Things may have changed since I retired but I had vacation picks in my ctr before others who had more company time.

JonFrum

Usually the answer to this question is in your particular Supplement. But since you mention Chicago, you may be in, or transfering into, Local 710 or 705. They don't have Supplements, just (seperate) Contracts. In any event, the answer is in there somewhere.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We are not allowed to transfer here. We have a couple of drivers who originally started with UPS in another state. One had to quit and then reapply like a new hire. Another was from New Orleans and got rehired after the Katrina disaster. Both of them lost all Center seniority and had to go to the bottom of the list. I know the one from Florida had to start over at the bottom of the pay scale, he moved up here to be near his father who was in bad health. Both had twenty years in at the time they moved. I think its a bad policy, especially in hardship cases.