can management kick you out of the building?

Loco170Brownie

I have myself been kicked out of a building, long story I will not get into but in the end I filed a grievance and won. I have been an Alt Steward, and am thinking about running for Steward in my area now, so I have a little bit of insite to speak on this. Union members need to be concerned about any violation of their contract, there are not and will never be enough Reps or Stewards to cover large buildings and all shifts. Being in a union means sticking up for your rights under your contract and standing with your brothers and sisters when they are fighting against a contract violation. The more we trun our heads and say its not my area of that Sup isn't doing that to me, the more we watch all we work and fight for slip away.

More on point you should always work as directed (Or in this case stop working and leave as directed lol) and file later as a couple people have said. It can be frustrating and it does open some more grey area that some Sups will try to work, but thats why if more than one person is involved it will never go to far.

I am sure a Sup of some sort will chime in to say I am wrong, but the bottom line is this. You do things the right way we do things the right way and everything just gets done, we all make money and go home happy. :happy-very:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Red

Its obvious that redshift has an issue with the union and or shop stewards and business agents. It is his line of thinking that drives a wedge between the union and the hourly(read failed management wanna be type). Or while eloquent, does not have a clue about reality.

I hate to state the obvious, but the hourly ARE THE UNION. Not the BA. The hourly are to be able to stand for what has been negotiated, stewards are volunteers that attempt to take care off contract issues that arise, and the BA takes care of the day to day business of the local, including attending hearings that go past the initial one.

Our BA draws down about 60 grand a year, has 7 UPS centers, not to mention other teamsters at other companies. Several of them several hundred miles apart. So it would be impossible for him to be everywhere at all times. And the local can not afford more either. We do try and operate our local financially sound.

So the stewards do their jobs as laid out in the contract, get paid for it, and all is well.

Slow mover

As for you being appointed as a alternate steward, that is a thought, but only after you have had some basic training as to what you can and cant do. Nothing like sending out a new guy, only to have him picked off for something he doesn't know about.

d

redshift1

Its obvious that redshift has an issue with the union and or shop stewards and business agents. It is his line of thinking that drives a wedge between the union and the hourly(read failed management wanna be type). Or while eloquent, does not have a clue about reality.

This is a common argument called Ad Hominem and is a fallacy. Your statement is not valid.

705red

Browncafe Steward

This is a common argument called Ad Hominem and is a fallacy. Your statement is not valid.
Once again that must have taken a lot of thought!

If you do not like the union do something about it! I hated the union only 7 years ago! I did something about it! I got involved, i campaigned for change and i helped to get our current slate in power.

I was sick of hearing your lucky to have a job, or this isn't a valid grievance. Or seeing the agents in the building smelling like booze fighting with the employees taking managements side.

If your not happy do something about it! Or stop bitching!

I'm not happy with our international right now as a matter of fact i haven't been happy with them for several years now. And again i'm putting away money to donate to a legitimate slate when one arises. And i will help that slate campaign in Chicago, Indiana and Wisconsin when the time comes.

Hopefully something positive will happen, but if it doesn't, at least i tried and i have earned the right to complain!

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
705red your right Hoffa has not done anything for UPS. Sure he brags about UPS Freight but they are not Hoffa's bread and butter. UPS employees are the largest group of Teamsters. We pay for everything that makes the organization run, but sense Hoffa is getting paid by UPS to make sure no one causes trouble, he wont fight for us. The more local 705 causes trouble the less Hoffa gets from UPS. I'm waiting for him to try to put us in trusteeship. Maybe that will make some of us want to put him with his father. I think Steve and his group should run against Hoffa. He got us in 705 a decent contract. Maybe he could finally change article 40 for once so us full time combo air drivers can make good money.

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
Oh, one last thing about kicking you out of the building. As being a combo,UPS management at Addison has the 8 and out rule. Apparently if you go 1 min over 8 hours they will try to discipline you. I've also heard story's of people going 15 mins over and they wipe the time off or let you go home early to make the time difference.

gandydancer

Oh, one last thing about kicking you out of the building. As being a combo,UPS management at Addison has the 8 and out rule. Apparently if you go 1 min over 8 hours they will try to discipline you. I've also heard story's of people going 15 mins over and they wipe the time off or let you go home early to make the time difference.

I've got a grievance going to panel here, after deadlock at the first level, over being ordered off the clock so that my work could be completed by a part-timer with 19 years less company seniority than I (I'm 22.3). They've tried this nonsense every year for a few years, and it was never in effect for more than a few days. I've won at pre-panel on one occasion, seen the grievance disappear without a trace in another, but this is the first time I've seen a first level decision. We'll see...

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Yup, and you started with the Ad Hominem thought process by your post. So I followed your example.

So where to now?

d

redshift1

Yup, and you started with the Ad Hominem thought process by your post. So I followed your example.

So where to now?

d

Below is your comment and below that is an example of Ad Hominem. While I asked for the Union to do its job you responded with a derogatory comment. Pointing out the method of argumentation is not a personal attack. I believe Unions have provided a valuable service in the past but in this economic crisis grievances for supervisors working are frivolous unless a supervisor is continually covering a position for the entire shift.

" read failed management wanna be type "

Person A makes claim X.
Person B makes an attack on person A.
Therefore A's claim is false.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I believe Unions have provided a valuable service in the past but in this economic crisis grievances for supervisors working are frivolous unless a supervisor is continually covering a position for the entire shift.

So the unions have outlived their purpose?

There is no crisis, only man made calamities.

The grievances are not frivolous when a supervisor sends people home early, and then finished that employees job. And I find it interesting that you think that should only apply if he replaced the person for the whole shift.

Out of your own mouth, you have proved the point.

Thankyou for your candor.

d

yeah well more than 75% of all grievances are all about harrassment, oversupervising, supervisor is being mean again.......... only about 15% to 25% of the grievances are about real issues like money owed, or hours lost, or damages/ injuries! those are the ones that get heard first! there is something to be said of a person trying to provoke autority by filing frivolous grievances..... it reduces your credibility! you need to know what you're doing when you go filing on your super.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
yeah well more than 75% of all grievances are all about harrassment, oversupervising, supervisor is being mean again.......... only about 15% to 25% of the grievances are about real issues like money owed, or hours lost, or damages/ injuries! those are the ones that get heard first! there is something to be said of a person trying to provoke autority by filing frivolous grievances..... it reduces your credibility! you need to know what you're doing when you go filing on your super.

These are valid grievances......its too bad the Teamsters do not care and that makes them invalid.

That is why I am now a UPS'er and not a Teamster. We have so many UPS'ers and no Teamsters in our hub that you cannot get anywhere if you take on management. It took a while to figure it out.

From now on I applaud supervisors working and infact help them achieve their fantasy numbers any way possible! :D I might even bring in an extra pair of gloves for the next sup I see working. That'd be funny.

bsmart

ok thanks for the info and advice everyone, I personally think its kind of messed up that she has the right to kick me out expecially considering that i was not walking through any active areas but when my shop steward comes back (hopefully soon) im going to see about following Dark Teams advice and filing for harassment.

I didnt include this in my original post but when she found me at the machines i was talking to another off the clock employee, she didnt say a word to him. on top of that she issued a order to my part time sup that under no circumstance is he to allow me to work after secondary has gone down.. kind of rough since secondary goes down as soon as 2.5 hours after the shifts starts

on the bright side my full time sup is back from vacation next week and unlike my sort manager, he is not an *******

why don't you file a grievance for the hour of work you missed because you were ordered out of the building.

if you cant get a statement from the other employee that was standing beside you when you were told to leave and they werent then that will be that much more to your favor.

anytime you are sent home early the possibility for a grievance exist because there are more than likely less senior people still working in the building.

anytime that you are told to leave the building the best thing to do is leave because the next thing to happen is the local authorities will come and remove you...