Can one get a raise just because?

brother in brown

Apply then ease into it like this :

3_7_9v.gif
Doesnt that just remind you of all those people around us, the ones you would like to slap in the back of the head and ask what the ****** are you doing. So much more to say about that but once you start down that road, where would you decide to cut out.

happyboy

Look my 100th post..

A pay raise would be nice but do you know what would be better? How about you get you whole paycheck no taxes taken out, no social security, no medicaid, no fica, no income Taxes at all, That is change we can believe in. support the Fairtax

BryantheLion

I leef deengs up n boot dem down
Look my 100th post..

A pay raise would be nice but do you know what would be better? How about you get you whole paycheck no taxes taken out, no social security, no medicaid, no fica, no income Taxes at all, That is change we can believe in. support the Fairtax

That would be better A LOT better.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Maybe you can find another job that gives you security and health benefits. If you don't understand what you are getting into at UPS, LEAVE.

Just quit and go pimping

10_1_114.gif

chopstic

Bologna! I hear this argument all the time, and my response to it is, if you want to pay them more money just call the hall and make the offer, there is no way we would refuse it! Wages are a minimum in the contract!

We do allow ups to recognize the workers, as a whole unit, now if ups has a problem with someones work ethic this is the time during their probationary period for ups to thin the herd, but if they allow them to attain seniority than that's ups's fault!

Is this really the policy??? if I recieved a random $5/hr raise and no one else did it couldn't be grieved by other employees?

I appreciate the union, and the benifits I recieve because of it, but it is also very ignorant to ignore the millions of other successful companies who recieve raises on merit . I believe some of these extreme pro-union guys have never in their life experienced work outside UPS, I bare witness to all of you that YES!, it does actualy work, in fact everyone else in my family is employed non-union and almost everyone one of them loves their job and recieves very competitive pay.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I appreciate the union, and the benifits I recieve because of it, but it is also very ignorant to ignore the millions of other successful companies who recieve raises on merit . I believe some of these extreme pro-union guys have never in their life experienced work outside UPS, I bare witness to all of you that YES!, it does actualy work, in fact everyone else in my family is employed non-union and almost everyone one of them loves their job and recieves very competitive pay.

I am hardly the Norma Rae type (Google it if you don't know what I am talking about) but how many of the millions of successful companies who receive raises on merit are union? To answer your question, no, your co-workers could not grieve your raise, but your working environment could become less than pleasant if word got out. Now, my 2 primary careers have been the military, where raises were approved by Congress and paid by the taxpayers (thank you!), and UPS, where raises were contractual, so I have never had the pleasure of having to go to the boss and ask for a raise.

The key to your post are the words non-union. As I said, I am by no means a poster boy for the Teamsters and would need directions to find the union hall, but I do know that individual raises just ain't gonna happen. I will concede that your argument has merit but not in a Union environment.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Is this really the policy??? if I recieved a random $5/hr raise and no one else did it couldn't be grieved by other employees?

It could and would be grieved. Article 6 section 1 of our (705) contract forbids ups from entering in to any side agreements with the employees.

I appreciate the union, and the benifits I recieve because of it, but it is also very ignorant to ignore the millions of other successful companies who recieve raises on merit .

We deal with a very physical job, and while we are young we are able to keep up with the pace of the job and even meet some unrealistic goals that management has set. But as we get older or injured our production tends to slow down at no fault of our own.

It would not be fair to the employees of ups who have dedicated their lives, missing family events, working late, sacrificing what we do on a daily basis especially when we get older. Should a 20 year employee have to take no raise or even a pay cut to keep his/her job because some 21 year old is able to do it faster? Absolutely not. IMO

We are not comparing a stock broker, admin asst, dental hygienist, school teacher, etc to the work we do i hope. While all of these jobs can be stressful none of them can compare in reality to what we do for a living.

I believe some of these extreme pro-union guys have never in their life experienced work outside UPS, I bare witness to all of you that YES!,

Actually this is my first union job, and i did start at ups at an early age of 20, i also worked many jobs before and even during my 5 year ptime career that were not union. Non of these jobs offered me free medical, only a handful offered me paid vacations, none of them offered me a retirement package, sick time or even close to a wage that ups pays.
Some of the jobs i truly liked, but there was no future. And when some of these jobs had the typical bs none of the bs can compare to some of the bs i have seen at ups through my 15 years.

it does actualy work, in fact everyone else in my family is employed non-union and almost everyone one of them loves their job and recieves very competitive pay.

Do you think that ups would be paying us what we make without a union? Just look through the forums today and see that some drivers cant even get a handcart to replace a broken one, or some driver do not have uniforms because ups says the center can't afford them.

A fulltime package driver earns $28.55 an hour for $59,384 a year without overtime.

Medical benefits for your family are free (at least here) at roughly another $800 per month for another $9600 a year.

Our pension plan gets roughly $275 a week paid in to it on our behalf for a total of $14,300 a year.

This totals $83,284 a year without over time. Compare what we do and what we make with your family and ask yourself how much of this would ups really give you without the union!

chopstic

again... I'm for the most part pro-union, since i enjoy all these benefits i just can't agree with a lot of people who post here thinking that without a union UPS would be the most unethical company in existence. Some of you talk as if there was not a union UPS would run rampant; murdering, raping, and commiting horrible crimes against humanity.

705red

Browncafe Steward
again... I'm for the most part pro-union, since i enjoy all these benefits i just can't agree with a lot of people who post here thinking that without a union UPS would be the most unethical company in existence. Some of you talk as if there was not a union UPS would run rampant; murdering, raping, and commiting horrible crimes against humanity.
Chop, how long have you been working with ups? Because what you have listed already goes on to those that dont stand up for themselves! Seriously!

tourists24

not really saying that, but Im pretty confident you would be working for a lot less than you are now without health benefits unless you paid for it.

chopstic

not really saying that, but Im pretty confident you would be working for a lot less than you are now without health benefits unless you paid for it.

on the flip side of that coin... while some UPS drivers are enjoying nice 80k a year paychecks there are a lot, and i mean a LOT, of our union brothers and sisters getting laid off. maybe if some of us made just a little less others could afford to keep food on the table.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

I know you are just posting a hypothetical question.

The only union employees that would get anything like a $5/hr raise would be a driver in progression. At least when I started, we had many big bumps in pay after 1, 1 1/2, and 2 years. But that was all in the contract, nothing out of the ordinary.

Now I know the contract changed it to 30 or 36 months to top rate, but I think the last pay raise is the biggest.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
on the flip side of that coin... while some UPS drivers are enjoying nice 80k a year paychecks there are a lot, and i mean a LOT, of our union brothers and sisters getting laid off. maybe if some of us made just a little less others could afford to keep food on the table.

That's hillarious

The more time ,sweat and tears you put into this job, the sweeter the reward.

GET OVER YOUSELF AND WAIT YOUR TURN

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

President Obama will take care of that with he begins to Share the Wealth.