Can seasonal drivers get Seniority?

sodak

So we have a seasonal driver who has been driving almost everyday since thanksgiving. I was under the impression that seasonal drivers were only allowed to drive through certain dates. I started looking through the Central supplement and it indicates that the days worked from Nov. 1st through the second full week in January do not count towards seniority. But, days worked outside of that time would count toward the 30 in 90. I mentioned to the driver that they should look into this. That person said they contacted our local steward who said "since the driver signed a seasonal bid no days will ever count towards seniority."

I may be wrong but from what I am reading in the suppliment (which I will quote below) I think that the seasonal driver can get seniority because they are driving outside the specified seasonal dates. Does anyone have any definitive information on this?

ARTICLE 1-PROBATIONARY EMPLOYEES-SEASONAL EMPLOYEES Section 1 (b) Seasonal Employees: Time worked from November 1st through the Friday of the second full week of January of the following year December 31st of each year shall not accrue toward seniority. This period may be extended upon approval from the Local Union. Any employee who is retained after December 31st, the Friday of the second full week of January, or recalled within sixty (60) days after the Friday of the second full week of January, December 31st, must work thirty (30) in a ninety (90) consecutive day period commencing with the first (1st) day worked after the Friday of the second full week of January, December 31st, and his/her seniority shall revert back to the first (1st) day of his/her ninety (90) day qualification period. However, those employees hired prior to November 1st who are retained or recalled within sixty (60) days after the Friday of the second full week in January December 31st will retain credit for the number of days worked prior to November 1st. These days retained will count toward the thirty (30) days worked in a ninety (90) consecutive day period commencing with the first (1st) day worked after the Friday of the second full week in January December 31st and they shall be rehired on a six-for-one basis, as outlined elsewhere in this Agreement, and shall be placed on the seniority list with credit back to the first (1st) day worked after the Friday of the second full week of January. December 31st. An employee filling a permanent new job or job vacancy shall gain seniority under the thirty (30) working days in ninety (90) calendar days seniority provision. This provision will not affect the Company’s obligation to bid permanent full-time job vacancies pursuant to Article 3, Section 8 of the Central Region Supplement or any applicable language in any Local Rider or Addendum. Seasonal and probationary employees will not receive any of the benefits of this Agreement other than wages spelled out in this Agreement. Any employee put to work during the seasonal period shall be paid the appropriate seasonal rate of pay.

sodak

Does your local have an agreement to extend the seasonal period?
I read that part but I am unsure of the answer. I told the driver that they should contact our local to ask if they made an agreement to extend the seasonal period. And also, if an agreement was made find out how long the period was extended.

johnny_hotdog

Sounds like your steward doesn't know what he is talking about. I'm Pretty sure we had a driver go through this in my center a couple years back. Can't remember how it turned out but I'm pretty sure I remember hearing about a seasonal who was driving way out of the seasonal time. Tell thw driver they need to contact your local union rep.

Started as a seasonal driver kept on as part time preload after peak. Does this still apply? And what about benefits? I dont think its hardly fair I have to work with the company 16 months before i get benefits.

You're a part timer. Be very happy you get benefits.
@ 11$ an hour for a graveyard shift and only getting 20ish hours a week making it necassary to have another real full time job if they didnt offer benefits the turnover would be insanely ridiculous for the slave operation they run. So no I dont feel lucky to have benefits if i stick around for 16 months I've more than earned them and they should be available @12 months.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
@ 11$ an hour for a graveyard shift and only getting 20ish hours a week making it necassary to have another real full time job if they didnt offer benefits the turnover would be insanely ridiculous for the slave operation they run. So no I dont feel lucky to have benefits if i stick around for 16 months I've more than earned them and they should be available @12 months.
The entitlement is strong in you.

No you haven't more than earned them. You'll get them a year after you reach seniority, just like everybody else has.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This doesn't sound like the place for you.

Maybe try the management route?

T

Turdferguson

fries.gif

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I worked way harder for less at my full time job outside of ups when I was a part timer.
I challenge this guy to find the level of benefits at 20 hours a week at another company. It's extremely rare. Hell everyone hates the health insurance here, but it's pretty amazing compared to many companies.

Not everyone has to work 16 months to get their benefits the vast majority work 12. If a persons work ethic is good enough to keep them on with the company after peak those months should be accredited bottom line. This 12 months vs 16 months isnt even the point in my "entitlement" the point is part timers MORE than earn their benefits they arent "lucky". And no thanks to pt management

Turnover inside the building is high as is. Without benefits it would be ridiculous at the wage they pay. I cant think of one person I know that would stick around if they werent offered.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
image.jpg
Not everyone has to work 16 months to get their benefits the vast majority work 12. If a persons work ethic is good enough to keep them on with the company after peak those months should be accredited bottom line. This 12 months vs 16 months isnt even the point in my "entitlement" the point is part timers MORE than earn their benefits they arent "lucky". And no thanks to pt management