Can supervisors fire you?

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
If for instance you blatantly refused to follow the supervisors instructions then he could fire you on the spot and the manager would support that decision unless you had a very good reason for refusing those instructions.

I once had a full-time supervisor get real frustrated with the sort manager overriding his instructions. Enraged, he told me to ignore instructions and consider invalid all orders given by the sort manager. A steward told me it was a messy one and to call her when I was in that situation. Ever seen a sort manager go atmospheric, Tie? This one did. That week, he found out several standing orders I'd been given he rescinded once and for all. -Rocky

tieguy

Banned
I once had a full-time supervisor get real frustrated with the sort manager overriding his instructions. Enraged, he told me to ignore instructions and consider invalid all orders given by the sort manager. A steward told me it was a messy one and to call her when I was in that situation. Ever seen a sort manager go atmospheric, Tie? This one did. That week, he found out several standing orders I'd been given he rescinded once and for all. -Rocky

Ok you got me there rocky. I didn't expect a scenario where a sup tells you to ignore a managers instructions.

No I'm concerned this person would walk away from this thread thinking a sup does not have the authority to fire. There are clearly instances where a sup does have that authority and I don't want to see her test the waters to find out when.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Ok you got me there rocky. I didn't expect a scenario where a sup tells you to ignore a managers instructions.

haha. If it makes you feel any better, he thought he was in the right. He was a micro-managing jerk. The other standing instructions he gave me were ego-boosters for him / manipulative stunts (dictating who I could help after inbounds were down and I was released from my work area). I was doing what I was told, so I was covered :laughing:. He was chomping at the bit to get rid of me from that point on. -Rocky

KidUPS

This comes from experience.

I had an employee refusing to work as directed. Blatant and disrespectful. I informed him to work as directed but he flat out refused. This happened between a very precious time frame where air volume needed to be processed and shipped by a certain time. I radioed to a lead who was around (my lead was currently not in the building.) Lead happened to be near, I asked again, employee refused. I took employee to a steward as a favor in hopes he would work as directed. He worked. Steward tried to mediate. I explained to the steward I was now representing the company and would be contacting security to walk out the employee. Security walked him out. Employee returned to work 7 months later, however I cannot state whether or not he was paid or not. I do know my manager and the business agent had a meeting on the matter.

But from that one experience, I do believe in most cases that it is up to the supervisor to make a case (write ups, progressive discipline) and up to the manager to make the final call on each case with a business agent.

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
Sonya let me give you some tips on surviving UPS and this situation. Go ahead and write down the numbers of the bags. Hell, if it was me I would have to write these numbers down slowly just so I got them right. I would love to have a supervisor tell me that, especially in a heavy load. if your belt backs up don't worry about it. If your sup comes in your load and yells at you to go faster ignore it then when you have a chance file a grievance under article 37. also if he try's to do any work make note of that and file for supervisors working. remember this, you can not be disciplined for production what so ever(the union doesnt reconize it. what i'm trying to say is write down your bag numbers and don't worry about production that's your sups job not yours. your job is to come in and load and follow instructions that do not go against the contract or federal law . your supervisor will reverse that order when his belt is always off and hes always gettting greaved for working. remember you can only "work to the best of your ability":wink2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

But don't ever believe that a supervisor does not have the authority. If your behavior is aggregious enough that person can fire you. Respect the position and do your job and you'll be fine.

Why would you ever want it to get to that point? Work as directed and then follow up, whether it be verbally or in writing, with the sup in question or his sup if you feel that strongly about it.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
A good rule to follow: Work first, grieve later. Thelus was right, do it even if your line starts backing up. There are always ways to make a sup suffer his decisions.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
A supervisor doesnt even have the authority to decide which hand he uses to wipe his butt with, he has to wait for the memo to come from Corporate. Some sups might try to come across like they have the ability to fire you, but they dont. On more than one occasion I have had a sup tell me that if I didnt run scratch that day he would have me fired. I didnt run scratch, and I'm still here.

slantnosechevy

That's a big no no for a supe to threaten to fire you especially for production and especially in front of witnesses. I've seen a part-time pre-load supe fired for that as well as a driver supe relocated to another center. 15 years ago they could get away with it. Not now. They are to treat employees with dignity and respect as are we to reciprocate. There are times when the controlled panic work enviroment heats up and tempers flare. UPS doesn't like anyone to be comfortable no matter what their position is with the company.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
That's a big no no for a supe to threaten to fire you especially for production and especially in front of witnesses.

I had a supe threaten to have my a%& in front of two part-time supes for following a manager's directives. It didn't worry me because I knew the manager wouldn't stand for it when he found out. I was upset by being threatened, though. I don't like being threatened unless you're capable of carrying it out. I knew he wasn't and 'cage-rattling' tactics have never been my favorite. -Rocky

tieguy

Banned
A supervisor doesnt even have the authority to decide which hand he uses to wipe his butt with, he has to wait for the memo to come from Corporate. Some sups might try to come across like they have the ability to fire you, but they dont. On more than one occasion I have had a sup tell me that if I didnt run scratch that day he would have me fired. I didnt run scratch, and I'm still here.

Sober two different issues here. The sup does have the authority to fire you. He does not have the authority to fire you outside of the article 7 guidelines. A production discharge would require him building a case against you before he could discharge you. Even then it would be an Article 7 working until grievance settlement.

You guys have to be careful here with the advice you dispense. If some part time leaves this site thinking a sup does not have that authority then they may do something stupid that puts them out on the street.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Quick question -

I should know this, or I should look it up (but I'm lazy today) - Attendance - what is the procedure for termination for poor attendance?

sonyatx

When I worked on night, my supervisor told me he would get into a lot of trouble if he even joked about firing an employee.

I am not stupid and know my what will get me in serious trouble at work. I just HATE being treated like am a child, with constant threats of being written up. After I talked with the manager , he has pretty much stopped.

All I wanted to know is if they could write us up constantly and take it upon themselves to send us home. I do not think so because the manager seems to have put him in check.

Also I it depends on how much the manager respects that supervisor.

Thanks again for all you comment!