Can the HR department be trusted ?

Jj1213

Need that full time
Enough of your complaining! Why do you sound so surprised?? If in the 16 years of being a PTer, you haven't realized the games that the big brown management machine can play (especially on new drivers trying to make book)...you obviously haven't been paying much attention.
It's a game I can't win but I'm going to try Im going out with a fight

upschuck

You were 23 days in and they DQ'd you? Here they work you 29 days to give the full amount of time to improve to satisfactory numbers, and work you the 30th day it you are good. Only way they dq early is if you get in an accident or other egregious event.

Why did they tell you were dq'd for? your numbers? if so, they didn't give you a fair chance of your full time. Were you a trouble employee when you were PT, and FT sups knew about that? Sunds like there is something more going on then we are getting here.

Just don't wait too long to file if you wait, only have 1 week to grieve.

Jj1213

Need that full time
You were 23 days in and they DQ'd you? Here they work you 29 days to give the full amount of time to improve to satisfactory numbers, and work you the 30th day it you are good. Only way they dq early is if you get in an accident or other egregious event.

Why did they tell you were dq'd for? your numbers? if so, they didn't give you a fair chance of your full time. Were you a trouble employee when you were PT, and FT sups knew about that? Sunds like there is something more going on then we are getting here.

Just don't wait too long to file if you wait, only have 1 week to grieve.
The moment I got to center and told them I had 16 years in I felt they looked at me different
On car and center manager said it was all about numbers. I feel if they would have gave me the. 29 days at least it would have been fair. I know all DOK like the back if my hand and no accidents in the bad conditions
No beefs with management as a pt just come and do my job

Pacman

I understand your angry, however name calling will get you nothing. Won't get your driving job back and won't win you any friends here.

I will give you the weather, I have 2 in progression right now and they had a couple of rough days in the past couple of the weeks. When you punch out your DIAD at the end of the day you are telling me "here is the job I did today". If I feel you did not meet the criteria for the job or will not meet the criteria in the future I have responsibility to let you go and find the employee that will meet the criteria. I do not run the business as a social experiment.

In the distant past we looked upon a failure of a driver candidate as a failure of our training. The new UPS doesn't seem to want to invest the time up front to insure a new driver has the skill and confidence to do the job. There is no one more miserable than a driver that struggles everyday because they didn't understand the job and were not trained properly.

upschuck

The moment I got to center and told them I had 16 years in I felt they looked at me different
What does that matter? I'm sure they knew how long you have worked at UPS before that, they would have your file, and on the bid list would see your seniority date.
On car and center manager said it was all about numbers.
Did you have good numbers when it was good conditions, even if no, they should have given you the full time.

Evidently you did something for them not to want you, because here they do everything they can to get the person qualified. As long as you do better then the bid driver on the route, you are good.

Good luck

Jj1213

Need that full time
I b
What does that matter? I'm sure they knew how long you have worked at UPS before that, they would have your file, and on the bid list would see your seniority date.

Did you have good numbers when it was good conditions, even if no, they should have given you the full time.

Evidently you did something for them not to want you, because here they do everything they can to get the person qualified. As long as you do better then the bid driver on the route, you are good.

Good luck
I never had good conditions when the snow began to melt and conditions improved they only worked me 1 of 8 days
The thing I can think if is the shop steward seen me standing there everyday and began asking on car when are you going to work him meaning me and on car replied you want to push the issue ok let's push the issue. They dq me next day

upschuck

Sounds like you got between a spat with the steward and sup.

Were you on the same route everyday? If not, then here, you'd be qualified.

Jj1213

Need that full time
Sounds like you got between a spat with the steward and sup.

Were you on the same route everyday? If not, then here, you'd be qualified.
1st day out they put work on truck that I was not trained in and 2 other times as we'll. I would do east side when trained and those 3 days they put west side work on

upschuck

1st day out they put work on truck that I was not trained in and 2 other times as we'll. I would do east side when trained and those 3 days they put west side work on

How can they move you around and expect you to run the proper numbers during qualifying? rhetorical question If they could, then all the ones they don't want q'd, they'd move them around a lot. Like UpState said, wait for HR, and if not resolved by day before grievance filing deadline, then file.

Island

This has been an interesting conversation except for people jumping on Dragon as if he was the one who DQ'd our fellow Teamster. He didn't and he doesn't deserve these personal attacks.
The issue with fishy DQ's it seems is that management can make that call based on dozens of factors and does not have to provide very much evidence to support their decision. I feel that the lack of transparency makes it more fishy than it is, though it is fishy depending on your management. If you get a manager who will lay out all the facts to your face when you are DQ'd, you are lucky. He is providing you with the information you need to grieve it if you strongly disagree with him.

Jj1213

Need that full time
This has been an interesting conversation except for people jumping on Dragon as if he was the one who DQ'd our fellow Teamster. He didn't and he doesn't deserve these personal attacks.
The issue with fishy DQ's it seems is that management can make that call based on dozens of factors and does not have to provide very much evidence to support their decision. I feel that the lack of transparency makes it more fishy than it is, though it is fishy depending on your management. If you get a manager who will lay out all the facts to your face when you are DQ'd, you are lucky. He is providing you with the information you need to grieve it if you strongly disagree with him.
I believe our union should be able to defend us in that 30 day period not just only protecting our pt job but to see it was done fairly

Island

I believe our union should be able to defend us in that 30 day period not just only protecting our pt job but to see it was done fairly
Indeed, but you may notice the language about the trial period and DQs are a relatively tiny part of the contract. It is not something the union will be concerned about until they realize in the future that very few drivers are getting to retirement and therefore the union dues coming in are a lot lower. Then they'll scramble to make it easier to get to the high pay jobs.

Jj1213

Need that full time
Indeed, but you may notice the language about the trial period and DQs are a relatively tiny part of the contract. It is not something the union will be concerned about until they realize in the future that very few drivers are getting to retirement and therefore the union dues coming in are a lot lower. Then they'll scramble to make it easier to get to the high pay jobs.
Very true during that 30 days it's almost like your not even in union
Getting layed off and no guaranteed pay for when they do

Indecisi0n

I once had an argument with HR about how they don't help me with anything. One time another employee physically attacked me and I went to HR, figuring maybe they'll care about that. Of course they didn't. They answer to my hub management, atleast here where I work. My manager ordered all the other supervisors to force me and the other guy to work side by side for two days straight and stand there and stare at us to be ready to take our badges once we fought. My deposition to HR literally almost got me fired because they'd rather fire both of us than just one of us. I happen to be a pacifist (most of the time) so they didn't get their bloodsport but next time I'm calling the federal cops for the federal land I happen to be federally cleared to federally work on. :)
I say, friend* HR.
And they've attempted to DQ me for nonsense reasons in the past as well.

You should have called 911 from the get-go if you were a victim of work related violence.

Island

You should have called 911 from the get-go if you were a victim of work related violence.
I'm a big guy. People don't fight me, they hit me once and then they realize it was a mistake. The more dbag-minded ones will then back off and talk a lot of noise. Which is what happened. I wasn't about to call the cops because I was hit once, but since the company wants to fire me, I'll totally bring cops in the hub.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
There is thread on this forum titled "Why does UPS hate us so much???...you now have your answer.

Signature Only's sense of entitlement, I can talk to management any way I want cause I am in the union, I am smarter than you, I can do your job better etc. etc. brings out the hate in the buildings between management and union at UPS.

I typed out a better response to your post above but took the high road and deleted it before posting because I think you get the idea from the short reply.

Enjoy your Saturday.
Taking the high road?

The only sense of entitlement I have is the enjoyment of being fortunate enough to be a citizen of our republic.

I am not smarter than you.

I am not better than you.

I cannot do my job better than the next experienced employee.

But I am free.

And freedom means:

Nobody can force you to lie.

Island

The only sense of entitlement I have is the enjoyment of being fortunate enough to be a citizen of our republic.
But I am free.
if you havin entitlement problems I feel bad for you son but I got 99 rights and real freedom ain't one.
this isn't a republic, it's a plutocracy, and while you are free to think, you are not free to disrupt corporate profits.
Sorry, felt like exercising my one derail for the day.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
if you havin entitlement problems I feel bad for you son but I got 99 rights and real freedom ain't one.
this isn't a republic, it's a plutocracy, and while you are free to think, you are not free to disrupt corporate profits.
Sorry, felt like exercising my one derail for the day.
I stand corrected.

There's clean water, food, housing and medical services available for most.

I suppose you can do most anything except interdict the corporate/governmental money flow.

Get in the way and they'll come down on you like a load of bricks.