Can the supervisors really fire me for simply not unloading at the pace they want me to work at?

JLGjr1995

I've been working as a unloader/package handler for 3 weeks and I've been constantly been told by one supervisor that I need to work at a faster pace, even though the fastest I can go is 21 packages per minute. They expected me to go 26 packages per minute today, despite that I've been trying to follow safety procedures. When I do try harder to work at the pace they want me to work at, I put myself at a higher risk of injurying myself, so I guess either way, my efforts are never good enough to them.

Anyways, I ask this question because I've been told by a SPA person of mine today for unload that he's overheard some of the supervisors saying that they're planning on trying to get rid of me before I gain my seniority because I'm "too slow" even when I've been going 21 packages per minute for most of the time(with a few slow downs because of large and heavy packages blocking my way). However, a few other long-time preloaders have told me they technically can fire me for whatever reason they want(regardless of how stupid the reasons behind my termination are) but at the same time, they can't tell me to work at a certain pace they want me to since it says no where in the UPS employee book that that supervisors can tell their pt unloaders to work at that certain pace, as long as I work at a steady but safe pace(following safety procedures). They've also told me that even if they can fire me whenever they want, they really won't since they have too many holes. The funny thing is, none of the supervisors have told me upfront that they feel like getting rid of me for my production rate.

It's not that I'm intimidated by supervisors but I do already have more than enough problems already outside of work and I don't want some of the crappy supervisors to add up to my list of problems I have to deal with on a daily basis.

How would you guys deal with this as your advice to me?

Last edited:

Dr.Brownz

Ok if you are in your probationary period (30 or 40 working days not sure) they can fire you for anything. After that they cannot fire you for production. When they say go faster just say "yes I'll try harder" or something that makes them think you have a POSITIVE attitude. Ask them if they have any advice to go faster. After you pass your probationary period and join the union, slow down and work safe always. Always work safe anyway. If they think you are working hard they will keep you. It's all a mind game. Just ignore them but make them think you want to work really hard for them.

21 pieces a minute is 1260 an hour.. Not bad if you can keep that pace for the whole sort. 26 pieces a minute is 1560 an hour and not at all realistic with irregs and large boxes and damages. Just do the best you can and don't worry about loosing a minimum wage part time job with no benefits. You can do better.

KOG72

I’m full of it
Birds of :censored: Ladder.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

snarts

Try to meet their demands until you are able to join the union and once you do work at a pace that works best for you. Just don't drag your feet.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
Work hard at a steady pace. If you go extremely hard then that will be your new norm that you'll be measured by every day.

Was told today by my sup to go faster. When I finished I was told to go help out in the other bay because the other guy was slower.

Working faster doesn't mean you'll get done sooner.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
You have to bust your can until you qualify. Even after you qualify you have to work at a quick pace. Before you qualify they can let you go for lack of production. After you qualify, that is no longer an issue but can lead to you having a target on your back.

JLGjr1995

You have to bust your can until you qualify. Even after you qualify you have to work at a quick pace. Before you qualify they can let you go for lack of production. After you qualify, that is no longer an issue but can lead to you having a target on your back.
One advice given to me by long-time package handler employees of UPS is that if they ever threaten to fire me, tell them straight up to retrain me on how I should get my work done and if it's effective enough for me to go at a faster pace.

JLGjr1995

21 pieces a minute is 1260 an hour.. Not bad if you can keep that pace for the whole sort. 26 pieces a minute is 1560 an hour and not at all realistic with irregs and large boxes and damages. Just do the best you can and don't worry about loosing a minimum wage part time job with no benefits. You can do better.
I kinda have to worry about it since I'm just a young college student at the moment trying to pay his bills while still living with parents(who won't be very happy of me losing a job, regardless of how crappy the job is), taking advantage of being able to still live with them while not being overwhelmed with many more bills.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
I kinda have to worry about it since I'm just a young college student at the moment trying to pay his bills while still living with parents(who won't be very happy of me losing a job, regardless of how crappy the job is), taking advantage of being able to still live with them while not being overwhelmed with many more bills.

Apply to be a reg-temp driver then they'll back off your case since they want you in "tip top shape" for driving.

That or pray you don't get the feeder filled with dog food and boxes of computer paper.

I guess even a crappy job making a hundred dollars a week is better then no job. If you can stick it out for a year you will receive benefits and two weeks paid vacation and paid Holidays. Your body will get used to strain in a month or so and you can just put it on cruise control and turn your mind off.