Can the Union help get my job back?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I don't think he made this thread expecting anything other than an answer to the question "Can the union help me get my job back?"

It's a reasonable thought. I mean, he's not paying them now but he did fork over a good portion of his weekly UPS income to the union-- it's not much of a stretch to hope that they might be able to help a member retain their job after a mistake.

I do think OP's SOL with regard to retaining his job, seniority, pay rate and benefits, though, regardless of what the union might be able to help with. There's a chance they could get you back in, I suppose, so I wouldn't give up if I were in your shoes, OP. I just think you're in a situation where the company, if they want you back, would much rather rehire you than to reinstate you.
If he was a reliable employee...no doubt they'd take him back....I know a PTer who was sent to jail for a little over a year...nothing work or theft related. He was here a few years at the time..he came back, and kept his seniority.

RolloTony Brown Town

I had a kid put in his 2 weeks because he thought he was moving. He was gone for 3 weeks and got his job back and retained his seniority. But he was a good worker, had a good steward, good BA, and his coordinator was a solid guy too. Sometimes it pays to do the job and do it well. It could never hurt to pick up the phone and make some calls though. Good luck.

J

jibbs

Maybe he's under the impression that he's hated because of the way supervisors chase numbers, are quick to chastise and almost never give credit or compliment quality work (not that I expect a pat on the back, it's just that that kind of mentality can and does lead good workers to feel underappreciated and, as a result, like their work is never good enough for anybody even though they feel like they've given it 100%.)

idk, I know several reliable employees (that I consider the hardest-working coworkers I have outside of the primary) that consistently think their loads look terrible. If they would just take a look at some of the loads around them they'd be able to see that they do an awesome job, but the way management constantly pushes us to be a little faster, a little more accurate, a little better at multi-tasking leaves them thinking that, despite their amazing job, management still thinks they suck.

If I'm being honest, though, that's the kind of situation where "thick skin" comes in handy.... meh....

I had a kid put in his 2 weeks because he thought he was moving. He was gone for 3 weeks and got his job back and retained his seniority. But he was a good worker, had a good steward, good BA, and his coordinator was a solid guy too. Sometimes it pays to do the job and do it well. It could never hurt to pick up the phone and make some calls though. Good luck.

That's what I'm saying. What the OP wants doesn't seem impossible, it just has to be something that everybody involved wants to make happen.

HardknocksUPSer

A guy at my center worked preload and in his 30 day probationary period he said he quit so the sups jumped all over that offer from him and he was let go because he was letting to many packages go by him and not using proper methods to pull the belt, he wrote a apology letter to the center manager telling him that he still wanted to work there and that he just wasn't built to work in the area he was givin on preload so he asked if he could work reload even after he had self disqualified himself, the center manager gave him mercy and he went to reload. Maybe asking to go to another shift is a option that you can try. Goodluck

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
It's a reasonable thought. I mean, he's not paying them now but he did fork over a good portion of his UPS income to the union-- it's not much of a stretch to hope that they might be able to help a member retain their job after a mistake.

Maybe, if he got a withdrawal card before he left.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
A guy at my center worked preload and in his 30 day probationary period he said he quit so the sups jumped all over that offer from him and he was let go because he was letting to many packages go by him and not using proper methods to pull the belt, he wrote a apology letter to the center manager telling him that he still wanted to work there and that he just wasn't built to work in the area he was givin on preload so he asked if he could work reload even after he had self disqualified himself, the center manager gave him mercy and he went to reload. Maybe asking to go to another shift is a option that you can try. Goodluck
Cool story...at least have the danglers to say it was about YOU.....FFS.

Letter of apology....:rofl:

HardknocksUPSer

I was brung in smack dab in the middle of peak season and expected to load 1500 peices and had misloads, oh well peak season is over, I got to keep my job and I now keep my misloads down as low as the guys who have been there years, so what. The guy I'm referring to worked in unload during peak and was moved to load trucks in his 30 day probationary period and could hack it, honestly I probably couldn't either if I wouldn't have been loading trucks during peak season. I currently do my job and do it well. And yes I did beg to let them keep my job as I want to make a career of this and felt that I would get better in time, and I have. Now get over yourself.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I was brung in smack dab in the middle of peak season and expected to load 1500 peices and had misloads, oh well peak season is over, I got to keep my job and I now keep my misloads down as low as the guys who have been there years, so what. The guy I'm referring to worked in unload during peak and was moved to load trucks in his 30 day probationary period and could hack it, honestly I probably couldn't either if I wouldn't have been loading trucks during peak season. I currently do my job and do it well. And yes I did beg to let them keep my job as I want to make a career of this and felt that I would get better in time, and I have. Now get over youurself.
I'm not bragging about myself....I'm laughing at your story. So, what did the apology letter say? Lmao

HardknocksUPSer

I'm not bragging about myself....I'm laughing at your story. So, what did the apology letter say? Lmao
I have no clue what it said other than him asking if he could get his job back but be moved to reload, I'm assuming he was apologizing for storming out of the center dropping friend-bombs at the sups and telling them UPS treats their employees like chit, just guessing.

Ups_nooe93

I did call the My local union before posting this but they just gave me a solid NO.. I wasnt sure if the person i was talking to was being lazy, didnt know, or he was actually telling me the truth. I asked the question on here in hopes to find a similiar story to mine, where a previous empolyee got rehired.

And yes i do have my withdrawal card

PT Car Washer

We had a guy on Twi who's last day was last Friday. His name is still on the schedule under "Save". I bet if he changes his mind in the next week or so he could come back with his seniority. He also is a rock star wherever they put him.