Can they do this?

BUCN85

Right now our center is in desperate need of drivers believe it or not. We have one driver that has just started his training. But there are days where our center will bring in a driver from 2 different centers. (And one of these centers is under a different local). And these drivers work over him. Now this doesn't effect me at all. I was just curious if this is allowed only because we need drivers so bad. Yet the driver in training isn't getting to work.

BUCN85

Wow that kinda sucks then to be in his position. Not really getting a fair shot only working 2 days a week. Oh well I guess

undies

It sure sounds legal. If the driver from another building is laid off and full time, he gets to displace any part time driver from their work. Get your facts together before you complain!

Overpaid Union Thug

Right now our center is in desperate need of drivers believe it or not. We have one driver that has just started his training. But there are days where our center will bring in a driver from 2 different centers. (And one of these centers is under a different local). And these drivers work over him. Now this doesn't effect me at all. I was just curious if this is allowed only because we need drivers so bad. Yet the driver in training isn't getting to work.

Some locals have agreements with the company that allows building to borrow people from another. Sometimes its not even a local thing but maybe a deal that only applies to certain buildings within a local. Those drivers that are helping your building shouldn't be working over your drivers in yours unless they are laid off full-timers bumping into your building. If your local even allows that. When my center is short of drivers they just pile the work from the driverless routes onto those that are working. If it's emergency where the center is behind because of bad weather we end up getting management employees from other areas that weren't affected instead of actual drivers.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Did you miss the part where one of the drivers being brought in is not even in their local?

Not relevant. A card-carrying member of the union w/ seniority has the right to work. An employee in their 30 days does not.

I imagine this has happened before near me in NYC, where there are two locals within the 5 boroughs.

EDIT: also, don't forget those four magic words in the contract that serve as a trump card for the company: "needs of the business".

BUCN85

It sure sounds legal. If the driver from another building is laid off and full time, he gets to displace any part time driver from their work. Get your facts together before you complain!
Like I said before I can care less. I was just asking a simple question for general knowledge or like you say " getting my facts together"

onehandsolo

It happens in my center all the time. The thing is in my 20 plus years as a driver 50% of the time we have been tight on staffing. It is always something basically __it happens.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
We got around 15 training routes according to management. They were trying to put "training route" on every one that went up for bid.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have 5 loops---each has a training route. They normally use the same route to train all new drivers as it has a good commercial/residential mix with a lot of pickups.

By The Book

Some locals have agreements with the company that allows building to borrow people from another. Sometimes its not even a local thing but maybe a deal that only applies to certain buildings within a local. Those drivers that are helping your building shouldn't be working over your drivers in yours unless they are laid off full-timers bumping into your building. If your local even allows that. When my center is short of drivers they just pile the work from the driverless routes onto those that are working. If it's emergency where the center is behind because of bad weather we end up getting management employees from other areas that weren't affected instead of actual drivers.
Do these management take an hourly with them?