Can UPS City drivers move to a UPS Feeder driver position??

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
No you cant move from ups freight to ups small package. Pick one and your stuck there

For the most part. There is one exception....

Locals that have both UPS freight and Package, (during peak season) laid-off UPS freight drivers

can be "considered" to fill vacancies before using contractors.

"During peak season, the Employer will make every reasonable effort, in accordance with the appropriate Supplement, Rider or Addendum, to use current UPS employees and hire a sufficient number of employees to handle peak volume. After doing so, the Employer may use alternate means of transporting packages during peak season and will utilize union carriers whenever possible. Plans to utilize outside carriers will be reviewed and agreed with the Local Union. Such agreement will not be unreasonably withheld."

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/6161478090_master_final.pdf

-Bug-

Johney

For the most part. There is one exception....

Locals that have both UPS freight and Package, (during peak season) laid-off UPS freight drivers

can be "considered" to fill vacancies before using contractors.

"During peak season, the Employer will make every reasonable effort, in accordance with the appropriate Supplement, Rider or Addendum, to use current UPS employees and hire a sufficient number of employees to handle peak volume. After doing so, the Employer may use alternate means of transporting packages during peak season and will utilize union carriers whenever possible. Plans to utilize outside carriers will be reviewed and agreed with the Local Union. Such agreement will not be unreasonably withheld."

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/6161478090_master_final.pdf

-Bug-
That's a joke, I see Gypsies pulling our loads on the highway every Thursday night. Why just on Thursday?

Johney

What has been the outcome....

Every time, you have filed a grievance ?

-Bug-
Unfortunately they are heading south while I'm going north, so impossible to get the trailer numbers to file on. Although I'm working as are all the guys in my center so I'm not sure what "I,we" could file on. I have mentioned it to our steward and no one seems to know where they came from or where they end up.

Drake L.

Would you guys think its better to apply for a UPS package delivery driver, then with my CDL and truck driving experiance get into
When a new center was opened up in Sumner, WA I asked if there was any ways that I could transfer into feeders there after all feeders that wanted to transfer were transferred and was told no. I even asked if I would have an advantage over an off the street new hire, I was also told no. So that would be your answer. We are two different companies with two different contracts.
So what can city drivers move up to ? Is there not a great big time position at ups freight? Also would you recommend me to get on with ups and not ups freight? And how much does the ups city driver pay? Thank you sir

Drake L.

Would you guys think its better to apply for a UPS package delivery driver, then with my CDL and truck driving experiance get into
When a new center was opened up in Sumner, WA I asked if there was any ways that I could transfer into feeders there after all feeders that wanted to transfer were transferred and was told no. I even asked if I would have an advantage over an off the street new hire, I was also told no. So that would be your answer. We are two different companies with two different contracts.
So what can city drivers move up to ? Is there not a great big time position at ups freight? Also would you recommend me to get on with ups and not ups freight? And how much does the ups city driver pay? Thank you sir

oldngray

nowhere special
UPS Freight is a different company. It is the old Overnight that UPS bought and rebranded. UPS does have semi drivers and some used to be package drivers and others were hired off the street.

sppollock

@Drake L. There is nothing to move up to from a city driver at UPS Freight. You can either be a city driver or a linehaul driver, which is terminal to terminal mostly at night. The hourly rate for a city driver at this time tops out at $27.65/hr and it takes 4 years to progress to that rate. To get into a tractor trailer driver in small package usually takes multiple years, you would have to talk to the small package drivers on the site here, in fact I am one of just a few UPS Freight drivers that post here.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Thank you sir

You can drive tractor trailer right away for ups small package. Search for tractor trailer driver on upsjobs.com

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Unfortunately they are heading south while I'm going north, so impossible to get the trailer numbers to file on.

That makes it hard.

It's not like you can do a U-turn, and follow them.

Are you sure they aren't UPS freight or sleeper teams ?

Although I'm working as are all the guys in my center so I'm not sure what "I,we" could file on. I have mentioned it to our steward and no one seems to know where they came from or where they end up.

You can always file.

If not to get paid.... just to stop the company from doing it.

Because, they have to be denying a work opportunity for someone, somewhere.

-Bug-

Johney

That makes it hard.

It's not like you can do a U-turn, and follow them.

Are you sure they aren't UPS freight or sleeper teams ?

-Bug-
Could be freight the trailers don't have the Freight badge on the back and all our sleeper teams have a clearly marked UPS on the side door also everyone of our sleeper teams always seem to be pulling sets. I have heard about guys trying to file and they want a trailer number or it get denied.

Drake L.

@Drake L. There is nothing to move up to from a city driver at UPS Freight. You can either be a city driver or a linehaul driver, which is terminal to terminal mostly at night. The hourly rate for a city driver at this time tops out at $27.65/hr and it takes 4 years to progress to that rate. To get into a tractor trailer driver in small package usually takes multiple years, you would have to talk to the small package drivers on the site here, in fact I am one of just a few UPS Freight drivers that post here.
Would you of rather started out with ups or are you happy with ups freight. I recently found out they were not the same company. I was going to stay with averitt as a city driver to build experience then switch to ups but it seems my plans have to change. But I don't mind doing package delivery, I just know it will be seasonal or temporary for a wile :P what do you think?

silenze

Would you of rather started out with ups or are you happy with ups freight. I recently found out they were not the same company. I was going to stay with averitt as a city driver to build experience then switch to ups but it seems my plans have to change. But I don't mind doing package delivery, I just know it will be seasonal or temporary for a wile :P what do you think?
You dont have to do package if your a qualified cdl a driver. They hire off the street. Search for tractor trailer driver on upsjobs.com

Drake L.

You dont have to do package if your a qualified cdl a driver. They hire off the street. Search for tractor trailer driver on upsjobs.com
But isn't it hard to get on with them, I'm just starting off driving, I only have about 3 months of experience now. How much are they wanting?

sppollock

I think if you are able to go small package. I don't know the area you live in, but with every job you have your good and your bad. If I started younger I would of gone small package, I started at age 36 with UPS Freight and know I never would of made s small package delivery driver, they work ten times as hard.

silenze

But isn't it hard to get on with them, I'm just starting off driving, I only have about 3 months of experience now. How much are they wanting?
Job posting says you need 1 year of experience
Why are things not working out at avirrit

Drake L.

I think if you are able to go small package. I don't know the area you live in, but with every job you have your good and your bad. If I started younger I would of gone small package, I started at age 36 with UPS Freight and know I never would of made s small package delivery driver, they work ten times as hard.
I live near little rock, Arkansas ups terminal and it is a pretty good sized place, also I like Averitt a lot I just know ups pays so much more and way better benefits, I want to work in a company that has a very bright future. I know ups has raised there pay a lot in the last few years so what's stopping then from raising it more ? More and more people are ordering things online every day. And no one will ever catch up to ups. I bet Amazon and ups will merge together some day to. My uncle is a feeder driver for UPS and he loves it, been with them for a long time. I want to be with the best company I can be with and nothing will stop me from trying.

Cementups

Box Monkey

Then we should make MORE than feeder drivers. But for some reason it's the other way around. I never understood that.