Can UPS Drivers do This?

O

omega man

Chan, It's not the customers fault that UPS doesn't make allowances for bad weather. That day, they cut routes and sent drivers home. They should have added a few to help get the packages delivered. The "emergency condition" option should only be used when a valid attempt is made on the delivery. Anything else should be recorded as "missed". Why does UPS always try to hide or mask their wrongdoings. I urge every employee both management and hourly to record/report honestly. This is the only way we can fix this broken company.

Channahon

I'm sorry Chan,
In my opinion Emergency Conditions shouldn't even be an option in the diad because if its "Emergency Conditions", then what the hell are we doing out on the road? I say if the UPS fleet is out there and the package can't be delivered it should be recorded as missed and the customer should get a refund.:tongue_sm
Keep in mind the emergency conditions are weather related. So if a hurricane, tornado or earthquake were to delay delivery, UPS would have no control over those conditions.

I understand your point that if a driver is on the road, the package should be delivered.

However, there are ocassions where the sun is shining in the morning and by afternoon, snow, sleet and ice can have the roads covered. I have seen those conditions and the drivers being pulled off the road for their safety, or in some states, the counties shut down the roads.

There is no doubt that if UPS is at fault for a service failure the refund is due the customers.

V

veteran driver

Nope!!! there is no time allowed for that But since its so impossible to beat a route anymore I guess I could do it anyway as it would not make much difference will be getting beat anyway, as long as it did not cause a business service failure, late air or missed pickup.

tieguy

Banned
In my district, we were all handed a Delivery Recording Procedures sheet that described this in detail. Second attempts on ground packages are to be recorded as "Duplicate" stops and only attempted by instruction from management. Who cares if you get credit for making a second stop? There numbers are a joke and nobody has respect for them. Just run three hours over everyday like we all do. I use the "Duplicate" stop option for everything that I can. This last snow storm management instructed/ordered drivers to record whole areas that no delivery attempt was made on as "emergency conditions". We were told to "work as directed", so many of us also used the "Duplicate" stop option to record these stops. This way no time credit is given to the center. We all know these should have been recorded as "missed". UPS chooses to run their operation half-assed. Just sit back and enjoy the show!

Interesting point. You say the numbers mean nothing to you yet you try to completely wreck the centers numbers by over using the duplicate stop option? Why not do it the right way?

S

speeddemon

Keep in mind the emergency conditions are weather related. So if a hurricane, tornado or earthquake were to delay delivery, UPS would have no control over those conditions.

I understand your point that if a driver is on the road, the package should be delivered.

However, there are ocassions where the sun is shining in the morning and by afternoon, snow, sleet and ice can have the roads covered. I have seen those conditions and the drivers being pulled off the road for their safety, or in some states, the counties shut down the roads.

There is no doubt that if UPS is at fault for a service failure the refund is due the customers.

Refund? I dont think so. If you choose to live on some of our south Alabama dirt roads in the county, and it rains several inches in one day, your not going to get your box. You will get stuck. Missed it is. But no refund.

O

omega man

Tie??? I did do it the right way. UPS was trying to get me to do it the wrong way! I had an argument with the management team over their efforts to try to have me misreport what actually happened. No attempt was made on these deliveries and they should have been recorded as missed. I wanted to record these stops as such but was ordered to do otherwise. After calling my steward, he stated that they will try to hang me for not working as directed which is the only reason why I complied. Since no attempt was ever made on these stops no center credit should be given so I used the Dup stop option. Ask yourself who was more accurate reporting what actually happened. The center shouldn't get time credit for deliveries that were never attempted. If we all were allowed to report these as missed, as they should have been, then maybe there would be pressure, next time, on the lower ups to make an effort to service these stops instead of hiding their failure to make allowances for the weather. If UPS didn't cut routes, more and hopefully most of these stops would have had a valid attempt made on them. The customer should come first. UPS has forgotten this. Shame on you UPS!

Overpaid Union Thug

Refund? I dont think so. If you choose to live on some of our south Alabama dirt roads in the county, and it rains several inches in one day, your not going to get your box. You will get stuck. Missed it is. But no refund.

Somewhere in the "fine print" it says that UPS doesn't have to pay a refund if a package is missed "due to an act of god". I'm surprised the ACLU hasn't sued UPS yet for that one. LOL.

aspenleaf

I'm sorry Chan,
In my opinion Emergency Conditions shouldn't even be an option in the diad because if its "Emergency Conditions", then what the hell are we doing out on the road? I say if the UPS fleet is out there and the package can't be delivered it should be recorded as missed and the customer should get a refund.:tongue_sm

We had this happen during our blizzard and it was bad out and the trucks were on the road. Most of the bus stops could be taken care but the resi roads had over 4 feet of snow so they would us the EC on those packages. I had 4 trucks full of packages that could not be del. Most of it might have happened because my center would count getting stuck as an accident so I am sure many didn't attempt some areas.

browniehound

We had this happen during our blizzard and it was bad out and the trucks were on the road. Most of the bus stops could be taken care but the resi roads had over 4 feet of snow so they would us the EC on those packages. I had 4 trucks full of packages that could not be del. Most of it might have happened because my center would count getting stuck as an accident so I am sure many didn't attempt some areas.

Aspen,
You're making my point. If there is 4 feet of snow on the roads UPS should not be driving on them (I don't know how they could?) I also see Chan's point also. I live in Boston where in Febuary it can be 55 dergrees one day and then get 27 inches of snow the next. But I have a question. Of all the customers that ship with us, how may of them are aware of the service failures? What percentage actually ask for a refund. And what percentage of them actually get one?

Channahon

Aspen,
You're making my point. If there is 4 feet of snow on the roads UPS should not be driving on them (I don't know how they could?) I also see Chan's point also. I live in Boston where in Febuary it can be 55 dergrees one day and then get 27 inches of snow the next. But I have a question. Of all the customers that ship with us, how may of them are aware of the service failures? What percentage actually ask for a refund. And what percentage of them actually get one?
There are companies independent of UPS that offer tracking for customers for all carriers and file guaranteed service refunds. The keep a certain percentage as a fee.

As far as UPS, the shipper has 30 days to request a refund and if the refund meets the service failure criteria, the refund is paid.

The next time you see a Business Development person ask them how much was refunded for your center or district. He/She should have access to that information.

Cole

Sure you can go back, just sheet it as duplicate stop. Or they can meet you, but still sheet it as a duplicate, so they don't try to say you are trying to pad your stop count.

DS

Fenderbender
Interesting point. You say the numbers mean nothing to you yet you try to completely wreck the centers numbers by over using the duplicate stop option? Why not do it the right way?
Tie I`ve seen this from time to time in my center as well.
Sometimes they call it "emergency conditions"when its beautiful outside,or future ,and its the young guys that
actually do it.I rarely have missed,but when I do,thats what they are,and I sheet em as missed.

Cole

Yes if it is missed let your sup or manager know, and sheet it accordingly. If it is questionable about the disposition like emergency conditions, send a message questioning it, so there's a record that they instructed you to state something that is not necessarily true. I have had to make management have drivers go back and change a bogus emergency conditions to missed, so bring it to your stewards attention.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I asked this of my boss, just because it has been presented so many times. So you all should do the same if you are not positive. At least while this boss is here...................
If you are already back in the truck and they come to the door use duplicate stop key. While I disagree, if thats how he wants it thats what I do.
But as differs from others here, if I go back in the eve, meet them on area, they run me off the road, to see if I have their pkg. That is not a duplicate stop. I get to count it again. It truly is another stop. So I dont know why other centers have discepancies with it, except that is how they do thier volume estimates?, and all those extra stops might cause them to add a run!!:thumbup1: