Can UPS work at 55 years old?

babyboy

I notice that UPS has a lot of openings for driver helper in my area of Southern Maryland and would like to know if at 55 yrs old, would I be able withstand the physical routine?

James

over9five

Staff member
Welcome to Brown Cafe, Babyboy. It really all depends on your physical condition. Can you climb in and out of the truck 150 times a day? Are you active? In good shape?

UPS Lifer

Welcome to Brown Cafe, Babyboy. It really all depends on your physical condition. Can you climb in and out of the truck 150 times a day? Are you active? In good shape?

This about sums it up. As long as you are physically fit and have the stamina you can do the job.

brownrodster

I notice that UPS has a lot of openings for driver helper in my area of Southern Maryland and would like to know if at 55 yrs old, would I be able withstand the physical routine?

James

As long as you can walk while carrying 25-30 pounds of stuff you should be fine.

I always tell my helpers that as long as they walk quickly and fasten their seatbeld immediately upon entering my vehicle they'll do fine.

Although this has never been a concern for me or my helpers, what over9 said is important. Can your knees handle getting into and out of a truck 150-200 times within 10 hours or so?

bumped

I had a helper a couple years ago that was 50 years old. He was one of the best helpers I ever had. My route was mostly residental with a minimum of 300 deliveries to a peak maximum of 400 deliveries. He also worked a regular night 10-12 hour night job. This helper was a machine... he slept 3-4 hours a night, maximum. I also am in a snowy part of the state, so there was no cutting across lawns.

We joked around all day, basically about his age, but it was all in good fun. He did the helper job for extra money to pay for his kids college bills.

It can be done as long as your in pretty good shape, and can follow directions well.

whiskey

James
If your in the same condition now as when you were a Navy Seal, ya sure, go for it.
Driver helper? I wasn't aware of any spike in volume.

old levi's

blank space

James

Don't know if you can do it, but I run a package route every day and I'm closer to 60 than 50. Some people say I'm a tough old bird.

rod

Retired 22 years
Just speaking from experience I was running out of steam when I retired at 53. (or was that enthusiasm). I did perk right back up after retiring:wink2:

satellitedriver

If you need the money, then just try it. Christmas help is a temporary gig and you can quit at anytime.
I am almost 57 and have been a driver for over 23 years.
I just did the math.
Age plus years of service.
No wonder I feel like I am 80 when I get up in the morning.:happy2:
Go for it, James

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Remember all cartons aren't heavyweights. You'll get help on those over 70 packages (ask for it). You'll be fine - so you're past the century mark, you'll be surprised when you see people working as helpers close or older to your age.

Bad Gas!

Now that the physical requirements have been covered, it's time to briefly talk about the mentality of the UPS driver... You have to find probably the fastest work ethic you ever had only to come back into work the next day and hear a wide range of nit-pickings..If you had a perfect day the day before, that means you probably pissed off some customers for not saying hello or you failed to rain- bag one stop in the rain out of a zillion...There are a lot of eye's to dot and tee's to cross....
All this said, you should try it..You have nothing to lose ..and if you can do it..it is self rewarding....with a nice paycheck...

bumped

Remember all cartons aren't heavyweights. You'll get help on those over 70 packages (ask for it). You'll be fine - so you're past the century mark, you'll be surprised when you see people working as helpers close or older to your age.

Jeeezzeee..He's not that old. Half century.