Can ur sup determine how many people can be off?

I recently asked for some vacation days and my sup is claiming three people max can she do that? And what does me being off have to do with the two people who no longer work here.

Billy

she is only contractually obligated to let 10% off and 1 per loop, but she could allow more if she chose to. Get with your steward and see if they can influence her your way if you cant. Good luck

UPSGUY72

I recently asked for some vacation days and my sup is claiming three people max can she do that? And what does me being off have to do with the two people who no longer work here.

Don't you pick your vacation weeks at the begin of the year for the coming year ? Are you asking for personal days ???? or just time off unpaid ???

Anyways just because you ask doesn't mean they have give it to you. Personal day should be asked for a week in advance. Your SUP has to have enough people staffed to handle the volume and can only have some many people scheduled off at anyone time.

Remember if you NEED to have one or two days off just call in if you WOULD LIKE a day or two off ask.

No using vacation days and my request is a week or more prior to the days I asked for. And its also seems strange that my sup normally lets more then three people off.

UPSGUY72

No using vacation days and my request is a week or more prior to the days I asked for. And its also seems strange that my sup normally lets more then three people off.

Our building doesn't work that way we all pick are vacation weeks in April for the year running May 1- April 31 and it goes by senority most senoir driver picks first. You need to read your rider and see if that is allowed it isn't in my building.

We also get 5 sick days and 3 personal days that we can take. then there are the days that they ask anyone if they just want a day off.

Like I said if you need to take a couple of days off call in however if it's going to be for 3 or more days your going to need a DR note.

@upsguy72 My area is apparently different from yours because we can put in vacation time anytime after christmas then from then on whenever it is needed. The only time you have to plan a head of time is your option week and vacation week possibly. My area also does not get sick days and all those other type of days you mention. My sup however did manage to give me my days off. But thanks for your comments.

@UPSSOCKS Your right in a way they can possibly do whatever they want but under certain circumstances and this one however must not have been one of them. However this situation is not that serious to consider quitting. Maybe for you but not Me, sorry. Anywho regardless of if I didn't get them I could always call in like upsguy72 said. Considering I rarely call in. Anyway Thanks for your comment also.

brett636

@UPSSOCKS Your right in a way they can possibly do whatever they want but under certain circumstances and this one however must not have been one of them. However this situation is not that serious to consider quitting. Maybe for you but not Me, sorry. Anywho regardless of if I didn't get them I could always call in like upsguy72 said. Considering I rarely call in. Anyway Thanks for your comment also.

Do yourself a favor and add UPSSOCKS to your ignore list. He is just a troll.

Anywho, back to your original question, I believe it is dependent on your local area as to how many get off. For vacations here we pick the next year's vacations in Nov., and are allowed 10% off each week from Jan.-april, 17% of the workers off from May-Aug., and back to 10% off from Sept.-Dec., but nobody is allowed to take off the weeks after Thanksgiving through Christmas for obvious reasons. I imagine if your Sup did grant you the time off then it would be treated as a personal day, as your vacation picks are made well in advance. When it comes to personal days the company is only required to allow one person off per day per center in my area. It may be different where you work. Bottom line is the company is only required to allow this many people off per the contract, but if they felt like being nice could allow more if they chose too. It all depends on the available workers in your area and how nice your management team feels like being that day. As a part timer I never had trouble getting time off. As a fulltimer it has been more by the book, but until my latest job move I could get just about any week or day off I wanted depending on the request.

TheKid

I usually do not agree with Socks but he does have a point. They are the boss, who do you think should decide on the staffing, the drivers ? That would make for some interesting Fridays in the summer. Here is a situation where the Golden Rule applies...."The one with the Gold makes the rules."

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I usually do not agree with Socks but he does have a point. They are the boss, who do you think should decide on the staffing, the drivers ? That would make for some interesting Fridays in the summer. Here is a situation where the Golden Rule applies...."The one with the Gold makes the rules."
Sock's point is the same as always: to belittle and denigrate the hourly employee. Obviously the center team determines staffing, but they still have to comply with the contractual guidelines for allowing days off. They don't just make up the rules as they go along....

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Sock's point is the same as always: to belittle and denigrate the hourly employee. Obviously the center team determines staffing, but they still have to comply with the contractual guidelines for allowing days off. They don't just make up the rules as they go along....

You mean they're not suppose to.:wink2:

UnconTROLLed

perfection

Wow, and you're a steward in NE? That is scary.

Our supplement has very definitve language regarding personal days and staffing. Employee must give 1 week notice, and management has 48 hours ( I believe) to accept or deny day based upon staffing. Steward has right to investigate whether or not the day was accepted or denied reasonably.

The company can of course violate the contract , however it's probably not in their best interest for someone like SOCKS to violate it by denying a personal day out of spite or jealousy.

Last edited by a moderator:

UPSSOCKS

Our supplement has very definitve language regarding personal days and staffing. Employee must give 1 week notice, and management has 48 hours ( I believe) to accept or deny day based upon staffing. Steward has right to investigate whether or not the day was accepted or denied reasonably.

The company can of course violate the contract , however it's probably not in their best interest for some shmuck like SOCKS to violate it by denying a personal day out of spite or jealousy.

I can do anything I want to. It's not is a hourlys best interest to challenge me..

UPSSOCKS

The company can of course violate the contract , however it's probably not in their best interest for some shmuck like SOCKS to violate it by denying a personal day out of spite or jealousy.

Yes language about the process but no language that guarantees days to be granted. The days of calling off sick as much as you want to are over. If you don't believe that yet, you soon will. Most of you in here have seen drastic measures to discipline people with excessive call offs. Very soon you all will feel it, it's just a matter of time before the company as a whole has it under control. In the meantime work as instructed and leave the staffing issues up to other people.....