Can We Be Fired For Not Coming In From Vacation?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Company has been calling me everyday to come in from vacation. made the mistake of answering phone on Monday and volunteering info that I wasn't going out of town. ( didn't go in. dispatch begged me. )

messages have been getting nastier everyday. sometimes they call 2-3 times a day. no longer answering phone.

called a reliable co worker and they said that they have threatened other drivers for not coming in off vacation if they are in town.

I work 55-60 hrs every week and look forward to my vacations. I usually stay home and take the dogs for long walks in the woods and work on my yard. I just stay home. watch Netflix and take naps.

do I have anything to worry about? dreading going back to work Monday. maybe I will call in sick, ha ha.

Fedex Guy

Company has been calling me everyday to come in from vacation. made the mistake of answering phone on Monday and volunteering info that I wasn't going out of town. ( didn't go in. dispatch begged me. )

messages have been getting nastier everyday. sometimes they call 2-3 times a day. no longer answering phone.

called a reliable co worker and they said that they have threatened other drivers for not coming in off vacation if they are in town.

I work 55-60 hrs every week and look forward to my vacations. I usually stay home and take the dogs for long walks in the woods and work on my yard. I just stay home. watch Netflix and take naps.

do I have anything to worry about? dreading going back to work Monday. maybe I will call in sick, ha ha.

I think you're fine. It's your vacation week FFS.

Just to be clear, I don't work for FedEx. Crazy I know.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I would of informed them Monday that if they called again I would be calling my BA.

Vacation doesn't mean you have to go somewhere just means you're paid not to work. I would not so kindly suggest they hire more drivers.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Tell them that you've been drinking or that you're resting a sore whatever. There's plenty of drivers that say they feel a back or leg injury coming on without the proper rest. It's a little off...but no worse than what they're doing.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
They tried to call me while I was on vacation several times. I would just tell them I had plans to go out of town and to not call me again the rest of the week. I live in a small town in the suburbs of Houston. I can go down the street about 1/4 of a mille and be in the next little town to get a coke at sonic during happy hour and technically not be lying. haha. I don't care how bad I needed the money, I would NEVER come in when I was on vacation to "help them out." Not the way they treat us. No sir.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
It's entirely to UPS' advantage to have a crew of skilled TCD's for vacation coverage. It's cheaper for them, the TCD's can either get valuable experience or stay a TCD (enough of those fellas where I'm at) and have the flexibility in their schedules to do the things they need to do.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
This thread worries me. On what planet could UPS do anything because they knew months ahead of time you would be off, they pay to be off, and threaten you with anything. Bullies can only bully you if you allow it. Next time they call tell them to friend off, and no I'm not kidding. I bet dimes to dollar it will stop.

Fullhouse

"No employee shall accept vacation pay in lieu of vacation. " Article 55 sec 2 in the atlantic area supplement.
Meaning an employee cannot work during their scheduled vacation. I bet a dime to a dollar the sups are trying get out of working routes. Too bad for them!
Again UPS has failed to maintain a sufficient work force... imagine that!

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

"No employee shall accept vacation pay in lieu of vacation. " Article 55 sec 2 in the atlantic area supplement.
Meaning an employee cannot work during their scheduled vacation. I bet a dime to a dollar the sups are trying get out of working routes. Too bad for them!
Again UPS has failed to maintain a sufficient work force... imagine that!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Not even to pay for your son to party in the Bahamas for a week?

Resident know-it-all.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This thread worries me. On what planet could UPS do anything because they knew months ahead of time you would be off, they pay to be off, and threaten you with anything. Bullies can only bully you if you allow it. Next time they call tell them to friend off, and no I'm not kidding. I bet dimes to dollar it will stop.

Do not tell them to friend off. You do have to go back there when your vacation is over.

Resident know-it-all.