can we change our uniform colors please

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I would love to have a section on this site as the "unofficial" official UPS museum for us all to enjoy. Things like old photos, old documents. I know UPS owns most if not all the really good things, but you never know. I think it would be a cool project.

d
d, I know a retired feeder driver that had a very extensive collection of old UPS stuff:uniforms, founders day trinkets, forms, awards etc. . I'll have to see if he still has it. Matt

wrenny

Be so ever so Thankful that your package cars are brown. I cannot tell you how many times a UPS package car has dug up someone's lawn, taken down a basket ball hoop, or smashed someone's mailbox and took off without being seen. Believe me, because your trucks are brown, you are not the first delivery company people call. Everyone always calls the big white trucks - Fed Ex Ground or Home Delivery first. The only thing people remember being in the neighborhood is a big white truck. That brown truck just blends in so well. You don't know how many claims have been paid on your behalf because people swear they only saw a big white truck that day. I can't count how many times I've actually gone around back to someone's house and found a UPS package that was delivered and showed customers that we were no where near their house. I've asked so many why they thought we damaged their property when there is a UPS package at their doorstep that day and none from us, and we were no where near their house.
My only salvation is a nice big yellow DHL truck...now they take some of the complaints. Brown does blend in. People always remember the white truck when something gets damaged in their neighborhood, never the brown one.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
DHL guys an their trucks looks like the Oscar Myer Wiener guys from the 70"s tv adds just need a big ole hot dog on top of those trucks even their tractor trailers look stupid we sit at Logan and laugh at em every nite :funny::funny::funny::funny:

Tony31yrs

I always heard that they tested different colors at first and dark brown was the best color to hide dirt and still look presentable. Why would they change a color that is known worldwide? When people would try to make jokes about the uniform, I would just tell them that I get paid good money to wear it and none of my clothes at home are dark brown.

over9five

Staff member
Be so ever so Thankful that your package cars are brown. I cannot tell you how many times a UPS package car has dug up someone's lawn, taken down a basket ball hoop, or smashed someone's mailbox and took off without being seen.

Of course you cannot tell us that. Probably because it didn't happen. Just because a "big white truck" didn't deliver to that house doesn't mean it didn't try to turn around in their driveway.

Seems to me there's a reason everybody remembers the big white truck. Because they look out their window when they hear it hitting things.

filthpig

It looks like cockky its embarassin. please. people say one time I look like a walkin ****. yuck and I'm a real good looking guy so I dont want that color no more. DHL look like **** but **** is better than cockky
Yeah, sure Dude. That's gonna happen. Right after they air-condition the package cars.
Personally I like our uniforms. As far as uniforms go, they're functional, don't show dirt and are classic. The color ain't gonna change. If you don't want to wear it, go to college and be a stock broker.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
The Old Ones Are Also Good For Cutting The Lawn,painting And Doing Odd Jobs Around The House!!! The Best Part Is When I Put Em On To Do A Job At Home I Get That Sense Of Urgencey!!! Also Good To Wear To Bed ,keeps Me Reminded Of The Three Points Of Contact, Keeps The Mrs. Happy !!!!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
UPS Brown is tradition. It isn't going to change. And I like it. I will admit that I don't own any dark brown suits though.....:happy2:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Scratch....retired hubby doesn't own anything brown......except maybe a 2-sided belt and he wears the black side all the time.

wrenny

Over9... it has happened..many times. I've had calls from Staples customers where I had to personally come out and investigate the incident. Out of all of those times, there were times in which I referred them to the UPS terminal and the claims were settled by the UPS Center in question.
And I admit that there were some times that the Fed Ex guy was in the area, and tried to lie about it by saying he was no where near the area and insisted I visit the house to see if UPS delivered a package that day. Some times the damage was UPS, and sometimes it was the Fed Ex driver. I can remember one driver actually doing damage at the end of the driveway, then going back to get the package he just delivered and trying to blame it on the UPS guy. (He also took down a branch on his way back down the drive that left tell tale scratches on the top of his vehicle). But the scanner said otherwise, the scratches to his vehicle said otherwise. And when the same packaged showed delivered two weeks latter by the same driver...mmm... I know who does what. But it's always the White truck people see. (It did make my job very interesting).

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
While doing accident follow ups, I found just the opposite to be true. Where we were nowhere near the addy, and the fedex driver had been.

So you see them both ways.

d

LeddySS98

I also read the color was picked to help hide the dirt... I like the brown myself. I snap my neck to every time I see another brown truck go driving by. Of course watching the other driver scrambling to close his bulk head door when he sees you is classic as well:wink2:

satellitedriver

I guess Its time to do some actual research on the subject. Ive heard all the above stories, but you know, I really cant say where I heard them from.

I do have some books that have some of the history of UPS in them.

I would love to have a section on this site as the "unofficial" official UPS museum for us all to enjoy. Things like old photos, old documents. I know UPS owns most if not all the really good things, but you never know. I think it would be a cool project.

JMHO

d
I agree, it would be a great project.
UPS should have an official online museum.
I also think a UPS commercial could be made with archival footage showing our growth and service through the last century.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Wrenny, I cant say it doesnt happen, but do yours get charged with an accident if they do it. Do yours get charged for a scratch of a tree branch? As for me and ours, I report stuff I probably shouldnt worry about. And unreported accident is usually terminal at UPS, it falls under honesty, which is a cardinal sin. Ive seen it once or twice, and never saw the driver again.

959Nanook

Coincidentally, I watched the UPS Legacy video just hours ago. According to the video, some package cars were red, yellow, and other colors. At any rate, one of Jim Casey's precursors to UPS (Merchants Parcel Delivery), wanted vehicles that would not stand out when at the retail stores (much of the volume at the time was delivering goods purchased at a store to the customer's home) so they went with a color that was similiar to the color of Pullman cars (a respected brand).

Initial uniforms for American Messenger Company (Jim Casey's original business venure) consisted of a distinctive hat with the company name on them. Messengers could wear clothing of their choice; however, they had to be presentable and clean-shaven. Over time, the uniforms became more standardized and eventually browns were issued.

There is also a Fact Sheet entitled "UPS BRownie Points" at http://www.pressroom.ups.com with some other brown trivia facts.

ol'browneye

I agree that they shouldn't change the UPS color from brown. But they could fancy up our shirts a little by offering some contrasting tan on it somewhere. I have some UPS polo shirts that I bought with some kind of points I earned years ago. They are UPS brown but have tan trim on the end of the shirt sleeves, in the collar and around the button area. Other drivers always ask me about them. They do look a lot nicer than the same 'ol same'ol!