Can you be forced to work....

EmraldArcher

Two shifts on the same day?

My hub started a day shift (sun-thu) for peak season. On Sundays we usually work around 7 hours.

Today however they are trying to force us to work a second shift after the first with an unpaid 60-90 minute break between the two.

Is this allowed? I know an employee can be forced to work on a day they would otherwise have off but I have never heard of a forced double.

PT Car Washer

If you are PT I don't see how UPS can force you to cover another sort after you completed your sort. Tell UPS to hire more people and give them a better wage.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Two shifts on the same day?

My hub started a day shift (sun-thu) for peak season. On Sundays we usually work around 7 hours.

Today however they are trying to force us to work a second shift after the first with an unpaid 60-90 minute break between the two.

Is this allowed? I know an employee can be forced to work on a day they would otherwise have off but I have never heard of a forced double.
How exactly are they "forcing" you? However, on a 7 hour shift...they can make you take an unpaid break to "encourage" you to work a second shift. But how can they force you to work?

EmraldArcher

If you are PT I don't see how UPS can force you to cover another sort after you completed your sort. Tell UPS to hire more people and give them a better wage.

Its not a normal sort, its a one-off thing because theyre expecting a :censored2: ton of air from Jacksonville or something. I wouldnt have minded if they had given us a little warning but they didnt tell us until this mornings pcm.

The fact that were punching out for this hour+ break is whats irking me. If it was just another couple of hours added to the shift fine, but now they want me to sit around the hub not getting paid.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Its not a normal sort, its a one-off thing because theyre expecting a :censored2: ton of air from Jacksonville or something. I wouldnt have minded if they had given us a little warning but they didnt tell us until this mornings pcm.

The fact that were punching out for this hour+ break is whats irking me. If it was just another couple of hours added to the shift fine, but now they want me to sit around the hub not getting paid.
They can force you to take a break...they cannot force you to work a double. Call your steward.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I assume they are having you go on break rather than paying you until the air comes in from the airport. Today is also the busiest travel day of the year so there may be delays.

Can you be forced? Depends on your seniority.

EmraldArcher

Once you punch out and leave the day is over unless you want to come back for more hours.

Yea this was my thinking as well but our timecards mysteriously disappeared beween thursday and today so the paranoid side of me is just worried they might try and hit anyone who doesnt come back with job abandonment.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
How long of an unpaid break can they force you to take beyond the break mandated in the supplement?
Just what the supplement says. Or what is mandated by state law. After that, work me or I'm going home. They can't expect you to sit around off the clock for 2 hours waiting for air. You are not on call!