Can you be forced to work....

If you are talking about the Orlando hub my friend works there on the day shift. Last Sunday he showed up at 11am and was told he had to take a 30 minute unpaid break at 4:30pm and then clock back in until about 9:30pm. He knew this was BS so he informed his supervisor that he would be leaving immediately after punching out. I guess management panicked and just worked him straight through the 30 minute break. They also informed him that anyone that clocked out without permission would be fired.

This worked out well for him as he was paid OT for any time over five hours.(like a normal Sunday Day Shift) The negative part is that most other people on the shift just followed management's orders and clocked out and back in so they only got OT for anything over 8 hours. Doesn't seem fair to him. Just another way for management to take away OT that he normally gets on Sunday anyway. They tried saying it's a combined shift Day-Twilight but then he told them that he did not bid for a combined shift and will be leaving after he clocks out at 4:30pm. Either it's a single shift with OT after 5 hours or two shifts with the option to leave after clocking out. The shop steward told him that management cannot force him to work through 30 minute unpaid break.(forced double). I hear they are doing the same thing again this Sunday. Enjoy the OT.