Can you be harassed with facial expressions

Channahon

There is a manager in my building that gives me and other ladies looks that make us uncomfortable. He has never said anything to me directly but the look and tone in his voice is very un-nerving. What should I do?

Ask the other ladies if they feel the same way. If so, ask for a meeting with the Manager along with the other ladies and let him know of your concern. If it continues, go to Human Resources.

I once had a co worker who would always open doors for me. Quite the genteleman, until I realized we never walked side by my side afterwards. I had a feeling he was enjoying the view. I told him one day, I appreciate him opening the door for me, but would appreciate it even more if he would not walk behind me and walk with me. Never a problem after that.

It's human nature to look at other people and you just never know what anyone is thinking, could be good or bad.

In any event, you need to voice your concern how you see fit, it you are uncomfortable in the work place.

athena

I agree with Channahon. Check with the other women about how they feel. Also, I agree, if you feel comfortable, you should mention it to the manager that you are uncomfortable. Although this may be way off base, he may not realize it is inappropriate. My mom tells me all the time when I concentrate on when someone is giving a lecture, it looks like I am giving them a dirty look.

ImpactedTSG

Oh he looked at me and I feel ickey..............please. You're probably the type to go out with a low cut shirt then get mad becuase guys stare at your boobs.

T

trucker1946

I believe this matter was on the Jerry Springer show on Monday,WOW, you should have seen the fight:thumbup1:

tieguy

Banned
Steffie could you describe the feeling. Do you feel he is oggling you or looking at you as a boss would look at a slacker? How does he talk to you. Is it with stern contempt or dripping with innuendo. You have to be able to describe it a little more clearly before anyone can really tell you what to do.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
I find this hard to swallow. Seems to me, if you were intelligent enough to find this site, register, and post here, then you would most certainly have some clue how to handle this on your own. What's that smell? sniff sniff Smells kinda like bull :poop:. Maybe you, the crybaby that gets beat up all the time by his sup., and that other troll, should get together and take UPS to cleaners.

dillweed

steffie, I think I know the look you're talking about and it can certainly feel like harassment.

Just don't look at the creep. Do your work best you can and disregard him. He may get a thrill out of intimidating the gals with his leering so don't give it to him.

You could make issue of sexual harassment but it will take you through the wringer like you've never been before.

If he gets physically close tell him it bothers you and please stand back. If he says anything sexual or out of line take it to a higher up right away. But the looks can most easily be handled by ignoring. Concentrate on your work and communicate with decent co-workers. You'll be fine.

Raw, your comment about her asking for it was just awful. It was one of the crudest, back-woods, redneck statements I've ever read on this forum. dw

Raw

Raw Member
Raw, your comment about her asking for it was just awful. It was one of the crudest, back-woods, redneck statements I've ever read on this forum. dw
Leave it to a girl to take the fun out of sex discrimination.
She's the kind of girl who climbed the ladder of success wrong by wrong. Remember men, we're fighting for this woman's honor; which is probably more than she ever did. A man is only as old as the woman he feels. A Code of Honor: Never approach a friend's girlfriend or wife with mischief as your goal. There are just too many women in the world to justify that sort of dishonorable behavior. Unless she's really attractive.
Why do women close their eyes during sex?
They can't stand seeing a man have a good time.
What's worse than a male chauvinist pig?
A woman that won't do what she's told. Anyone who says he can see through women is missing a lot

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Leave it to a girl to take the fun out of sex discrimination.
She's the kind of girl who climbed the ladder of success wrong by wrong. Remember men, we're fighting for this woman's honor; which is probably more than she ever did. A man is only as old as the woman he feels. A Code of Honor: Never approach a friend's girlfriend or wife with mischief as your goal. There are just too many women in the world to justify that sort of dishonorable behavior. Unless she's really attractive.
Why do women close their eyes during sex?
They can't stand seeing a man have a good time.
What's worse than a male chauvinist pig?
A woman that won't do what she's told. Anyone who says he can see through women is missing a lot

Raw, I don't know where you got that code of honor but it's bad, sad & funny!

Dutch Dawg

I'm gonna risk saying after reading thru this thread, there are some here that could use oversensitivity training.

Sure seems to be a lot of advice concerning the plantiff's rights based on so little information of what the acccused is actually doing in the original post.

I believe that no matter what one does or says there can always be someone found to take offense at said action.

Unfortunately today the trend seems to be if someone's perception disagrees or differs in beliefs with one, society encourages to readily apply a negative label such as bigot, racist, sexist, or phobic.

This could be nothing more than a misunderstanding due to poor communication.

athena

I'm gonna risk saying after reading thru this thread, there are some here that could use oversensitivity training.

Sure seems to be a lot of advice concerning the plantiff's rights based on so little information of what the acccused is actually doing in the original post.

I believe that no matter what one does or says there can always be someone found to take offense at said action.

Unfortunately today the trend seems to be if someone's perception disagrees or differs in beliefs with one, society encourages to readily apply a negative label such as bigot, racist, sexist, or phobic.

This could be nothing more than a misunderstanding due to poor communication.

I didn't see any posts that said "Run to a lawyer and sue the pants of UPS!" or "Go to your steward right away! They can't do that!" These are some of the responses I have seen in other threads where it is something much more mild than potential sexual harassment and both parties usually carry some of the responsibility for the incident (i.e. I had little accident and now I have to wait a year to try to become a driver.)

When should she take action, after he physically/mentally violates her. I don't wait to talk to my son about preventing people from abusing him until after it happens. First, I sit down and tell him what is appropriate and inappropriate. Then, I tell him if anyone makes him feel uncomfortable or asks him to do any of these things, he should say NO and go immediately to an adult he can trust to tell them. This is b/c of the power differential b/w him and adults. Same thing applies to management/employee relationships.

I am sorry, but I do not think for one second anyone should have to put up with inappropriate behavior. It is that kind of thinking that leads to tolerance of sexual harassment in the first place. The amazing thing is, if this guy is a potential sexual harasser, simply putting up a boundary now by telling him the looks make her feel uncomfortable is usually enough to prevent future harassment. If he didn't mean anything by it, no harm done.

I would think by some of the comments on this thread, it would be pretty easy to see that there isn't quite an agreement on what is and is not appropriate. I mean, how many posts included something that indicated if the manager was looking then it was Steffie's fault for wearing tight, revealing clothing. That is a pretty big assumption about her "based on so little information". If I were Steffie, I would have been insulted! I do not wear revealing/tight clothing and truckers freakin' honk at me and wave when I am driving down the highway at 70 mph. But, I am sure it is my fault in some way and shouldn't be upset that once I almost wrecked b/c of it. :w00t:

tieguy

Banned
Ah one post by a troll and we are off to the races. Meanwhile our friend who started this seems to have dissapeared.

Ok. Guess we do this one on our own.

Ready? Everyone look at my face and tell me what I am thinking. :thumbup1:

aspenleaf

Oh my I'm in trouble. I mentally violate just about every hot chick I see, and some of the fat ones too depending on the mood I am in.

That is okay; the hot chicks are most likely thinking "not in your dreams" when you walk by! :tongue_sm

But as long as you are not leering at them they will never know what goes on in your mind.