Can you get a 1$ "skilled worker" raise being a loader?

Ant12

I know you only get one right off the bat as a sorter and preload, but loaders i work with have the extra dollar by apparently knowing the belts on our PD. They didn't take the sorter test or anything. How would I go about getting the raise by being a loader?

Cincypackagehandler

Be really good friends with your sup or manager. He or she can code anything out.

Bingo. I got my dollar in 2012 and I only pick off maybe 10 times a year. I have a good relationship with the boss who runs the outbound and I asked him what I had to do to get the dollar raise and he said he'd take care of me and he did just that.

browntroll

talk to your sup/management team. i have seen ppl get the $1 raise when they have only been unloading
and i see other guys that do pickoff/preload but are not getting it they get told we are using pal system which
makes their job non skilled.

Nimnim

The Nim
Take the appropriate test for the skilled position. If you pass you get the $1 raise, but that also means they can have you actually do the skilled position.

DoctorMario

Yes you can as long as you can pass the pickoff test. A lot of people I know have the $1 raise who don't pick off

Sent using BrownCafe App

SpM509

Ushally u have to do the job for a period of time. Take the test kiss some center manager ass and get it locked in. I was second pick for awhile before I got it locked in. But I'm not very good at kissing brown eye.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Robert91

Where does the "skilled" and "unskilled" language fit in now days? I know that the previous contract said, "Preloaders and sorters" and "all others", but didn't mention the "skilled" and "unskilled". I once questioned a pt sup about this, he swore that I was wrong (he preloaded in the contract before). He spent two hours digging in the little blue contract agreement at the back of the belt trying to prove it was in there. Lol.

Has it become a local practice thing? I think all the guys at my center get it after three months.

PT Car Washer

That was your first mistake, asking a PT sup. These decisions are made at a lot higher level. If UPS needs bodies and paying an extra Dollar an hour for 3 or 4 hours will keep people they will pay it. Just more office politics and way above your pay grade.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I know you only get one right off the bat as a sorter and preload, but loaders i work with have the extra dollar by apparently knowing the belts on our PD. They didn't take the sorter test or anything. How would I go about getting the raise by being a loader?
When I worked inside as a loader, we got a raise after 90 days, then I got another raise (the one you're talking about.) Here you can get the raise if:
1) You become a sorter or pickoff
2) You learn all the loads on your outbound belt.
They gave me the raise when I was still just a loader before I became a pickoff or sort aisle guy because I learned all the loads on the belt. My wall sup did say at the time he could only put x # of guys in for that raise in a period of time though.

Robert91

That was your first mistake, asking a PT sup.

That's the best part - I was telling a coworker that he needed to get the extra dollar, since he was practically the only guy in the building not getting it at the time. The pt sup jumped into the conversation and starting saying things about the "skilled employees"... Etc. I told him he was wrong, so when he challenged my assumption, I asked him to show it to me. Lol.

At least there are some days we get entertained at work.