Can you get a warning letter for 'missed'

Logb17

So i'm a pretty new driver and got sent out cold on a resi/com route with pick ups. I didnt get to 2 apartment complex offices before 5 and one business. They sat me down and said "no, warning letter, but you need to make sure you don't have any missed today"

I had one business at the end of the route today that appeared to be a resi in edd. Also missed another apartment office that was at the end of the route. Route has 10 or so different apartment complexes in it. Sucks balls!!

Wondering what will happen tomorrow morning..

Indecisi0n

I was always told that if the "office" has an apartment number to sheet those as res. Like if it says Goodwill Apartments room 211 and when you arrive the door says "office" it's sheeted as res. When you quick eye your load looking for misloads make sure you look at the labels and not EDD to determine whats a business or not. Also remember houses that have small businesses ran out of them are res not commercial.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was always told that if the "office" has an apartment number to sheet those as res. Like if it says Goodwill Apartments room 211 and when you arrive the door says "office" it's sheeted as res. When you quick eye your load looking for misloads make sure you look at the labels and not EDD to determine whats a business or not. Also remember houses that have small businesses ran out of them are res not commercial.

If the office is a separate entity then it would be commercial--if it is one of the apartments it would be residential.

Kirk

It's just a piece of paper with writing on it!! Just don't get to many of them!! And remember don't sheet any business being closed between 12:00 and 1:00, they don't like that one either! Good Luck!!:-)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's just a piece of paper with writing on it!! Just don't get to many of them!! And remember don't sheet any business being closed between 12:00 and 1:00, they don't like that one either! Good Luck!!:-)

The new one in my center is not sheeting call tags for businesses as NR1 between noon and 1. We had a driver who had to go back in, void out the original stop and then resheet after 1, even though the business was open and he made contact with an employee who said the package was not ready.

upsman68

The new one in my center is not sheeting call tags for businesses as NR1 between noon and 1. We had a driver who had to go back in, void out the original stop and then resheet after 1, even though the business was open and he made contact with an employee who said the package was not ready.

That happened to me two days ago. I thought this was ridiculous. The business was open and I del 6 pkgs to them plus the call tag was not ready. I had to void it out and resheet the call tag. I wonder if they would do the same thing for NM1

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Same happened to me. They wanted me to go back. I told them I'm pretty sure it will still not be ready but to cover my arse I re-sheeted it close to the original stop so I wouldn't be on another report for sheeting away from the stop. It must be a rewarding career spending your day coming up with useless crap.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
So i'm a pretty new driver and got sent out cold on a resi/com route with pick ups. I didnt get to 2 apartment complex offices before 5 and one business. They sat me down and said "no, warning letter, but you need to make sure you don't have any missed today"

I had one business at the end of the route today that appeared to be a resi in edd. Also missed another apartment office that was at the end of the route. Route has 10 or so different apartment complexes in it. Sucks balls!!

Wondering what will happen tomorrow morning..

Are you serious with these questions? Service Failures are NOT an option. Once you get behind the wheel of a package car, you are RESPONSIBLE for controlling the load. You have to act proactively to control the delivery process and that means identifying all business stops for the day. If you have to break off trace to get them delivered, then thats what you do.

You dont have an option to fail packages.

You are lucky you havent been fired as of yet, but keep up this kind of activity and you will be.

Service failing packages is not an option when you lose control of the load.

Peace

TOS

over9five

Staff member
Are you serious with these questions? Service Failures are NOT an option. Once you get behind the wheel of a package car, you are RESPONSIBLE for controlling the load. You have to act proactively to control the delivery process and that means identifying all business stops for the day. If you have to break off trace to get them delivered, then thats what you do.

You are lucky you havent been fired as of yet, but keep up this kind of activity and you will be.

Peace

TOS
I disagree. He said he was sent out "cold", which I believe means "blind". If the company doesn't want to train him (aka do their job), then the company will have to eat the missed packages until he learns the route.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I disagree. He said he was sent out "cold", which I believe means "blind". If the company doesn't want to train him (aka do their job), then the company will have to eat the missed packages until he learns the route.

"COLD" can you point me to the protocol for word "COLD" in either the UPS handbook or the NMA?

We get paid a lot of money to make decisions on the road. Those decisions include learning as we go. ON ALL routes, by 3 pm, the truck should be half empty, and moving remaining pkgs forward is the proceedure we are are trained to do. At that point, all remaining pkgs should be identified. With the exception of PEAK, this is the daily process.

On a drivers first mistake, ok, a talk with, on his second, documentation, on his third a suspension, anything beyond that and its a walk to the fence.

It isnt the companies job to hold our hand everyday, they train us to do the job and when a driver says "I DONT KNOW THAT ROUTE", the answer is always "YOU WONT BE ABLE TO SAY THAT TOMORROW".

All drivers need to take service failures seriously. Communicating with the center when they know they will have failures and let the company decide what to do with the pkgs. But, once on a route, you cant repeat the same mistakes the next day.

Peace

TOS

HTML:
Ok but in the cold real world of ups if this keeps happening he will keep getting warning letters. They (ups) will have a hearing on him. At this hearing they will ask for a three day suspension. He will either have to accept the suspension or grieve it. If he grieves it and its deadlocked then it goes to panel and if they (panel) uphold the suspension the next step is another hearing and ups will put him on a working termination. Wouldn't it just be easier to up your game and not have missed?? I know it would make my job a whole hell of a lot easier.

The real world sucks and so does ups. Up your game

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'

Peace

TOS
I lost control of my load this morning.
Too much Mexican food last night.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Can you? Yes.

So to avoid it you should check your load once you start in the AM and ANY business you have, break off and run it. If its 10 miles away, break off and hit it and then go back to the section you were last in. Extra miles makes for a better "planned day" Not like that even matters. lol

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
If your a cover driver just sheet it up as ni1 res, Thats what the guy that covers my rte does. The first monday back of vacation always sucks with send agains, but management always looks the other way, but if it was me I would get a one on one with the center manager. There is only one cover guy that does it right, the rest suck.

Indecisi0n

If your a cover driver just sheet it up as ni1 res, Thats what the guy that covers my rte does. The first monday back of vacation always sucks with send agains, but management always looks the other way, but if it was me I would get a one on one with the center manager. There is only one cover guy that does it right, the rest suck.

If your suggesting he sheet a business as NI1 res then your an idiot. I'd rather have a missed business verse getting fired for dishonesty.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Cover drivers like that eventually get caught or get made as an example. I don't know anyone with more then 10 years driving that wouldn't cringe at the thought of NI1 residentials to cover that up.

BrownArmy

I got sent on the blind once, lo and behold 6 packages for some holistic center in a residential neighborhood in the 8000 section, sheeted them all missed.

DM gave me a warning letter.

Now I will drive out of my way to make service on each and every package/saver/call tag/ etc.

I cover split routes all the time and it's amazing how many businesses are in the 8000 sections that get pulled and made into a junk route.

My paycheck goes up and up...

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
If your suggesting he sheet a business as NI1 res then your an idiot. I'd rather have a missed business then getting fired for dishonesty.
I was just making point about different rules for different people. The runners and gunners always do this or the sheet it up a no such number, and that just pisses off the clerks.