Can you get a warning letter for 'missed'

ymelord

"COLD" can you point me to the protocol for word "COLD" in either the UPS handbook or the NMA?

We get paid a lot of money to make decisions on the road. Those decisions include learning as we go. ON ALL routes, by 3 pm, the truck should be half empty, and moving remaining pkgs forward is the proceedure we are are trained to do. At that point, all remaining pkgs should be identified. With the exception of PEAK, this is the daily process.

On a drivers first mistake, ok, a talk with, on his second, documentation, on his third a suspension, anything beyond that and its a walk to the fence.

It isnt the companies job to hold our hand everyday, they train us to do the job and when a driver says "I DONT KNOW THAT ROUTE", the answer is always "YOU WONT BE ABLE TO SAY THAT TOMORROW".

All drivers need to take service failures seriously. Communicating with the center when they know they will have failures and let the company decide what to do with the pkgs. But, once on a route, you cant repeat the same mistakes the next day.

Peace

TOS
First off I don't get paid enough money for the stupid **** I have to put up with each day. Second off our methods for handling packages in the back are to pull 30 inch of packages forward at a time and to keep around 8 to 10 packages in selection area at a time, not to sort or pull them all forward at once(page 18). Third off the company could trace the route so com stops are in edd earlier in the day, it's logistics that's what their so good at. If management could do their job right this driver probably would have made all his stops and earned that big pay check. My service failures are always misloads, and I could care less about them, just call them in and let someone else stress out.

over9five

Staff member
Lol, a couple of you are members of some weak-ass locals if you let members get fired because management was too lazy to train a new driver.
And then you side with management, and spew stuff that they say!

kingOFchester

Lol, a couple of you are members of some weak-ass locals if you let members get fired because management was too lazy to train a new driver.

I was surprised by one of the posts from a Steward here.......didn't really fit his modus operandi.
\

Indecisi0n

I was just making point about different rules for different people. The runners and gunners always do this or the sheet it up a no such number, and that just pisses off the clerks.

If you sheet a business at 4:45PM from the other side of town as NSN and the customer complains your still toast. I said it before and ill say it again YOU CAN'T BEAT TELEMATICS PEOPLE !

HomeDelivery

The DIAD should indicate resi or commercial. The technology is there.

this same problem exist on the other side as well... it rests on the regular driver to spot them before closing time and may/may not break trace to deliver it.

But for cover/swing drivers, management should be more lenient since we don't know what addresses are business or residential

when I cover on saturdays & I arrived to a closed business, i just shrug, service cross the package, and slap a doortag on their door

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Okay, running a route blind , cold isn't easy. I've gone to my center and been 911'nd to a completely different center and stuck running routes completely BLIND and with absolutly 0 AREA KNOWLEDGE and yes I did okay but boy did I drown. I did it with a FREAKING PAY CUT being used as seasonal which is $8 bones below my part time driver rate!!
So I guess I can C a driver running Blind having missed when there is no NOTE in E.D.D. and it's in a resi area. A surprise little school, etc....
I don't C though how you could miss the apts. though, unless u wear running pretty late and management told u to come in cause D.O.T. , to drop pick-ups , or for #'s sake.

4 " T.O.S.'s " information - the defintive explanation of the previous terms are ; a driver doing a route without any training by management, Which , mind you is protocal to train a driver for 2-3 days. It's in managements handbook !!!

Day 1: Manager drives, trainee sheets and delivers stops/pick-ups,

Day 2: Trainee drives, sheets and does pick-ups while getting coached by Manager on loop of route, and commercial.

Day 3: Same as day 2 except manager coaches him on effeciancy and safety.

Day 4: Jump in truck and just run with it. Good luck with the Add Cuts that makes the route completely different from the training period.

This , I was told by management, (well, didn't mention day 4), though we R lucky to get day 1.

A blind Day for a driver, especially a newby is a drivers own personal " PEAK DAY "

Is T.O.S. a manager or something cause he's all worked up like this kids driving on T.O.S.'s watch.

I suggest u run work off those stops best u can and scroll threw E.D.D. B4 start of day checking DETAILS button on every stop making notes of commercial stops.

Do what u gotta do to not have missed and if you don't have enough time. O.D.S. center A.S.A.P. !!!

NI1 resi. cough, Apt 100. cough.

Consider those blind days, training days and I believe those are the commercial stops you will never forget again. you will dream about them. Most of us know cause most of us are drivers .

Learn from those days and if you really have to, put it on paper noting the addresses or the missed and what route # keeping small note pad with notes for specific routes.

Also, find out who the driver or previous cover drivers are and ask questions . Get to center early enough to do these things and it will make a difference.

If after you go through all the efforts and at last second Manager flips the script and tosses you on a different rt. then drop on your knees and pray that you get threw another day safely and take your breathes to keep calm and youll clock out eventually.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
The COMPANY gets paid " Good $ " to manage routes and have them traced correctly. It's the "WHOLE" purpose of having E.D.D. We are supposed to be able to mindlessly follow "planned day".

E.D.D. 's purpose was to take the process of remembering stops, the looping of stops away from the driver and make us more efficiant at production !!!

L.O.L

All it as done is free'd us from memorizing the addresses and how many pieces each stop should have.

Isn't our "trace" a big reason why drivers are now getting 170+ stops and 20+ pick-ups in a planned day in contrast to before E.D.D. when they were running 80 stops !!!

So, why isn't the trace being, well, "traced out".

They want us to up our game, but they get paid good also and have good bonus so why not some of the time spent on badgering drivers for whatever the cause, they put that time and effort into "tracing" and checking times to insure there are no missed commercial and no over lapping pick-up schedules !!

Oh, "drivers get paid good $" 2 do that is what I hear.

Well, so do they!! and they set up the trace, not us drivers.

Oh, what, there is a logistics answer 2 this.

To much accountability on drivers running blind and not enough on how dispatch is managed.

I've seen routes were the pick-up schedule was a train wreak and they admitt that it's set up in hopes that some are not having a pick up or very light pick-up but then next you know, all pick-ups are heavy and you are late on compliance and businesses closeing as u pull in the drive.

I can't put all the blame on a driver cause I know better.

We need to focus on our job and doing it safely, they need to focus on managing a route to work realistically and to insure that we keep our customers happy, even if it cost more $ .

Saving $ just to loss an account is not saving $, it's loosing $, and you can take that to the BANK !!

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Are you serious with these questions? Service Failures are NOT an option. Once you get behind the wheel of a package car, you are RESPONSIBLE for controlling the load. You have to act proactively to control the delivery process and that means identifying all business stops for the day. If you have to break off trace to get them delivered, then thats what you do.

You dont have an option to fail packages.

You are lucky you havent been fired as of yet, but keep up this kind of activity and you will be.

Service failing packages is not an option when you lose control of the load.

Peace

TOS

i-lol-d.jpg
i-lol-d.jpg

I was surprised by one of the posts from a Steward here.......didn't really fit his modus operandi.
\
When you've walked in the shoes you would understand. Being a steward means you spend most of your time trying to justify others mistakes. You spend about 95% of the time in frustration for members who will bad mouth you after you have bent over backward to help them get out of whatever situation that they are in. It's like a what have you done for me lately mentality.

I spend about half my time with members telling them what not to do and what to do. Most then go and do what they want to do and when they get themselves in trouble and then it's time to bad mouth the union. I don't know if you didn't like my post or the one from TOS but I bet what you didn't like about it was it was something you didn't want to hear. Sometimes it's the things you don't want to hear that you need to hear. Sometimes when TOS or I come off sounding like a dick it's because we are just plain tired a d frustersted. If people would just hear what I tell them they wouldn't get in trouble and there wouldn't be such a need for me.

Pm me your local number so I can check how strong yours is. I will keep it between us. If its not as strong as you are portraying it to be I won't say so that would be disrespectful.

Buck Fifty

Are you serious with these questions? Service Failures are NOT an option. Once you get behind the wheel of a package car, you are RESPONSIBLE for controlling the load. You have to act proactively to control the delivery process and that means identifying all business stops for the day. If you have to break off trace to get them delivered, then thats what you do.

You dont have an option to fail packages.

You are lucky you havent been fired as of yet, but keep up this kind of activity and you will be.

Service failing packages is not an option when you lose control of the load.

Peace

TOS

Need to go easy on the brainwash shampoo .

brownrod

I've done over 20 routes "blind." I've had a lot of missed schools and churches that are loaded on shelf 7/8. If the package label and EDD has no indication it's a business AND I've never delivered that area before then it is unreasonable to expect me to not miss them. I've never had a problem from management in this situation. Never gotten a warning letter. They generally understand the situation but expect it to not happen again in the future.

But I agree that if you know you have a business on shelf 8 then you have to break route and deliver it even if it's 10 miles away! EASY MONEY!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

BUT, the recent DIAD training on residential/commercial deliveries said that if there is a residence anywhere on the property that is a residential. Another one of those "Catch 22" deals.

That's not what was meant and you know it. They were referring to a single-family home in which the homeowner operates a business out of a separate building on the same property. Nice try--thanks for playing.

What'dyabringmetoday???

That's not what was meant and you know it. They were referring to a single-family home in which the homeowner operates a business out of a separate building on the same property. Nice try--thanks for playing.
Actually, this time I am not "playing". My point is that several of the "methods" you are expected to follow end up being "open for interpretation". I understand your angst as I usually give you a hard time here. This time I was not.

brown_trousers

I've done over 20 routes "blind." I've had a lot of missed schools and churches that are loaded on shelf 7/8. If the package label and EDD has no indication it's a business AND I've never delivered that area before then it is unreasonable to expect me to not miss them. I've never had a problem from management in this situation. Never gotten a warning letter. They generally understand the situation but expect it to not happen again in the future.

But I agree that if you know you have a business on shelf 8 then you have to break route and deliver it even if it's 10 miles away! EASY MONEY!!!

Why would you sheet those as "missed"? Why not show up a bit later and sheet as "NI" or "CL"?