Can You Top This? (break from contract)

robot

Has A Large Member
when i worked in the hub i use to work the midnight shift 10pm to 3am, then i would run a shuttle to the airport from 5am to 730ish or so followed by running next day air from 8am to 1030 or so.

well one day when i when i got back from my shuttle run the division manager and my center manager called me into their office saying i needed to 'drive' a route while a guy on TAW showed me how to run it. i guess they didn't know i worked the midnight shift because they flipped out the next day when i showed up realizing i worked 20+hours(10pm to about 8pm the next day) in one day. i had only been with the company barely 2 years and was just doing what i was instructed to do. looking back i think i only got straight time for all that work...grr! i wish i knew the things i know now back then!

upsgrunt

Yes,I remember.It used to have once a year the UPS world records in it.I think that is what you are refering to.I submitted a request to be in the world records for the largest COD collected.It was around 1987,I made a delivery to a place that made computer chips out of gold.I collected a little over $100,000.00 (too long ago to remember exact amount).The Big Idea people kept asking for all sorts of documentation that I couldn't provide as proof so I never made it into the record books.

I used to have a software distributor on my route in the late 90's and would get 1 to three of these DAILY. I think the biggest was around $180,000. What a great feeling it was to carry these checks in my front pocket all day as the stop was always the first of the day.:sick: I didn't ever think it was a record of any sorts.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
I used to have a software distributor on my route in the late 90's and would get 1 to three of these DAILY. I think the biggest was around $180,000. What a great feeling it was to carry these checks in my front pocket all day as the stop was always the first of the day.:sick: I didn't ever think it was a record of any sorts.

$180,000.00 I don't think mine was that hi.Somewhere around $125,000.00. So let me be the 1st to congratulate you on holding a UPS world record for all these years.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
I use to deliver to a airplne repair shop that would get cylinder heads for crop dusters cash only COD. They would pay in hundred dollar bills. Sometimes I would leave with over ten thousand in cash from one stop. I would make a sup sit down and count it out with me at the end of the day and sign off that I turned it in. CYA
:anxious:

Leftinbuilding

How did you manage that one? 10 story building with around 5 stops per floor?

This was a long time ago. We used to deliver telephone directories to all the businesses in our area. They had what were called "release numbers" (before driver release) and because we had so many of them, we were allowed to del them to businesses without getting a signature. Still had to sheet them up. (on paper) Anyway, on this particular day I knocked off 47 stops in an hour, in two or three office complexes.

tfinnegan

happy exupser
The route that I was on for a year delivered in 1 state but at times you had to go thru 2 nearby states in the same day just to complete all the deliveries....

UPS Lifer

I was a supervisor in 1985. I came in at 6 AM. The District Xmas Planning Mtg was the next day. The mgr didn't have the plans completed. I stay until 5 AM the next day to help him with the plans. The mgr told me to come in around 11 AM. I got home at 5:30 AM and got a call from my mgr telling me his dad passed away and he wasn't coming into work and that I would have to present the Xmas Plans to the District Mgr! I went right back to work and dispatched the center and went to the meeting and started to crash about 2 PM (no sleep - 1 hour travel to and from my house back to work with 1/2 hour for clothes change). Will never ever forget that day!

6 AM to 3 PM next day with 1.5 travel time and change - no sleep - no extra day off - just a WONDERFUL :biting: memory and 33 hours later...:knockedout:

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
I use to deliver to a airplne repair shop that would get cylinder heads for crop dusters cash only COD. They would pay in hundred dollar bills. Sometimes I would leave with over ten thousand in cash from one stop. I would make a sup sit down and count it out with me at the end of the day and sign off that I turned it in. CYA
:anxious:

Used to have a clothing store,daily drop that no 1 wanted to do.Guy used to keep me there for 2 hours deciding which of the 20 cods he wanted then would pay in $20's.Usually around $20,000.00.1st time I couldnt stuff it all in the safe.Boy was I nervous.Every time after that I went right to a local bank and had them make a certified check.

browned out

I pu around May, 1997 at Kmart and it was on the paper book that some customers still use. Did not see any high value so I acted accordingly. Next week sup says I missed a 10,000 high value and if it didn't turn up; it would be my responsibility to pay. I got a copy of the pu record and found out I missed because the shipper put the value like this 10000. I was thinking about quiting before paying this amount. 2 weeks later with alot of help from oms or service rep. We tracked it down and who signed for it.

Another time I took a company check instead of certified funds for 3000 dollars. The check bounced. LP said they would try to collect. If not it would be mine to pay. The cust was a retailer that sold suits like Deion Sanders or Don Cherry (Hockey night in Canada) would wear. I went in and talked to them and told them I would have to take a couple of the suits in leu if I had to pay for this mistake.

LP collected so my suit collection still has no style.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Once had a stop with 65 COD's. Each pkg had its own tag. These were in the old days before DIAD. It was some exhibit being transfered to a museum. Can't remember how long it took to pull all the tags and add them up. Nice thing was it was a blowout from the route next to me. Thanks buddie.

SmithBarney

I guess it depends on what I'm topping, but here goes..

My first peak, I get the 28Ft Straight Truck 3-4 helpers
and work main street for 8-9 Blocks(not much) but about
700-800 Pieces start at 10am finish by Noon Send helpers home or
to their other drivers.
I take lunch, and drive 1hr and go pickup 900-1200 pieces outbound
from an internet retailer, meet another driver take all his pickups(that he gathered
from other drivers in the area) then drive back 1 hr..
Get back around 5-6ish, then take a lil truck out and do some random resi's or go home.

Not bad for a first peak... had some great numbers...