Can You Work outside your Bid Job?

SquirrelBoggie

I would file on it. We had a situation here where an art 22 was picking off when pick off wasn't on his job bid. His job bid was irregs/unload. By picking off he screwed the next guy in line for pickoff out of it even though he had more seniority. I agree with seniority but if you sign a full time bid then I agree you should work according to that bid. If your situation is like this I would file.
It's exactly like this, thanks for the advice, the whole belt is gonna file, our union steward also told us all to file

Dr.Brownz

So it's cool to work outside your bid job just cause, I get it, thanks for the advice, you guys are the best

So here is some advice ignoring what has transpired in this thread up till now.

Ups will say PTers have no right to bid preffered jobs and thus no basis for grieving the FTer working anywhere.

Whether that is true or not depends on your local and if it has been allowed in the past. Here they were able to establish the right for local sort workers to bump to preferred jobs because of past practices

Dr.Brownz

but, but, but, according to the job classification, you are a "package handler" whatever position is available
Just make sure your pay rate reflects the job required

If pick off is a raise then that position should be assigned by seniority among package handlers. Its been won in many grievances

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
It would also open up more jobs for PTers to become FT but I see being selfish is your forte
it's certainly not being selfish. it is adhering to the contract and job security. if you are not willing to fight for that you deserve to be walked on.

everybody is selfish and wrong unless it is happening to you.

d.