Canada Collective agreement 2010

klein

Für Meno :)
First of all, the first offer should always be turned down (kind of a golden rule), secondly, don't you think the pay should be getting closer to par with the Americans ? (without their generous pensionplan, and they don't need to pay for healthcare here).

DS

Fenderbender
In 5 yrs we will be well over $27.00 an hour,that's almost what most states pay,but
we don't have to pay for healthcare like they do.As far as turning down the 1st deal goes,
thats ok for you to say,but last time we disagreed with their 3 yr deal,we ended up with a
6 year contract,No better really than the first one.I'm 55 years old man.Two more 5 year
contracts(God willing) and I'm out.It sounds fair to me but I still need to read the fine print
before I decide .Maybe I should start a poll..................... how would you vote yes or no

tieguy

Banned
The dispatch would have to keep the airport shuttle and feeder pull times in mind when creating the dispatch.

Our local highway departments work a 4 x 10 schedule during the summer and love it.

While I would personally like the 4 x 10's I don't see it happening any time soon.

you would have to have year round cover drivers to make it work. Bids would include SDO's on different days of the week. In the long run it would probably result in less wear and tear on the body and less injuries for the company.

browned out

Much more info needs to be obtained. If UPS could work single vacation drivers on the fifth day; why would they ever hire a new full time driver. Our center over utilizes these single vacation day drivers and seasonals. We have seasonals who want full time and have been seasonal for over 5 years. No May June July August November December or days replacing driverszzz(no matter what month) who split up there option weeks count toward seniority. Very shifty. Read the fine print Canada

DS

Fenderbender
you would have to have year round cover drivers to make it work. Bids would include SDO's on different days of the week. In the long run it would probably result in less wear and tear on the body and less injuries for the company.
They already have full time cover drivers,they have to for call ins and vacations.
Signing on to this would be no OT unless you went over 40 hrs
It may sound like wine and roses to you guys,but If I gave up my
1.5 hrs OT every day I wouldn't be able to afford either one.

browned out

Much more info needs to be obtained. If UPS could work single vacation drivers on the fifth day; why would they ever hire a new full time driver. Our center over utilizes these single vacation day drivers and seasonals. We have seasonals who want full time and have been seasonal for over 5 years. No May June July August November December or days replacing driverszzz(no matter what month) who split up there option weeks count toward seniority. Very shifty. Read the fine print Canada

Bonus offer also spells Garbage

tieguy

Banned
They already have full time cover drivers,they have to for call ins and vacations.
Signing on to this would be no OT unless you went over 40 hrs
It may sound like wine and roses to you guys,but If I gave up my
1.5 hrs OT every day I wouldn't be able to afford either one.

Ds you're right you do have cover drivers. In feeders we have sdo jobs. they may cover driver A's SDO on monday, Driver B's on tuesday etc. 4/10's add drivers to the payroll. Not sure why the company would agree to it other then eliminating the overtime. From my experience what the company gains on overtime reduction they lose on the extra h & w , pension, vacations etc.

klein

Ds you're right you do have cover drivers. In feeders we have sdo jobs. they may cover driver A's SDO on monday, Driver B's on tuesday etc. 4/10's add drivers to the payroll. Not sure why the company would agree to it other then eliminating the overtime. From my experience what the company gains on overtime reduction they lose on the extra h & w , pension, vacations etc.

Tie, your expertise is in the US. You need to remember companies don't pay those generous payments you receive there in the US.
Pension : 30 years = $1500 (new contract, not retro active will be $2300). No healthcare costs for employers, except for perscription drugs, dental & eyewear, which is only about $100 for single and $200 for family.
They have never and probably will never constribute to a 401K here, either (called RRSP plan here).

So, if you do the math with those numbers, it is cheaper not to pay OT and instead hire.

browned out

Tie, your expertise is in the US. You need to remember companies don't pay those generous payments you receive there in the US.
Pension : 30 years = $1500 (new contract, not retro active will be $2300). No healthcare costs for employers, except for perscription drugs, dental & eyewear, which is only about $100 for single and $200 for family.
They have never and probably will never constribute to a 401K here, either (called RRSP plan here).

So, if you do the math with those numbers, it is cheaper not to pay OT and instead hire.

Right you are. You guys do have that national health care thing right eh. Different ballgame all together.

Anyhow if there is a bonus it is a bribe. Small raise would be much better in the long run.
As for the 4 10's; screw that if you want 4 10's use your option days and split up your option week if you can. Request days off and call off if you need to. Combine these days with the other holidays you guys get (boxing day, etc,) You can easily have at least 20-25 weeks a year where you work 4 days a week and get paid overtime for anything over 8.

klein

Right you are. You guys do have that national health care thing right eh. Different ballgame all together.

Anyhow if there is a bonus it is a bribe. Small raise would be much better in the long run.
As for the 4 10's; screw that if you want 4 10's use your option days and split up your option week if you can. Request days off and call off if you need to. Combine these days with the other holidays you guys get (boxing day, etc,) You can easily have at least 20-25 weeks a year where you work 4 days a week and get paid overtime for anything over 8.

Wrong, Canada UPS only gets 5 option days per year, regardless of seniority. Ofcourse, they count as sick days, too.
If I was still working there, I would opt for the 4x10. I don't need the money, that badly, rather have time off, and stay healthy and fit.

Besides, we have certain holidays (like Family Day in Feb), that UPS doesn't pay for, and nobody else works.
So, we are forced to take an optional day for it.
I think we have 2 of them. (leaves 3 for sick days or optional).

browned out

Wrong, Canada UPS only gets 5 option days per year, regardless of seniority. Ofcourse, they count as sick days, too.
If I was still working there, I would opt for the 4x10. I don't need the money, that badly, rather have time off, and stay healthy and fit.

Besides, we have certain holidays (like Family Day in Feb), that UPS doesn't pay for, and nobody else works.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still much better of to request days off or call in once or twice a year if you need to. Why would you give up overtime after 8 hours. Do the math; scheduled for 5 days only work 4 at 10 or 11 hours plus OT and you are way ahead. you will be paid for ot wage for 8 hours.
So, we are forced to take an optional day for it.
I think we have 2 of them. (leaves 3 for sick days or optional).

DS

Fenderbender

I agree the bonus is a bribe.Last contract we went on strike for a day,they were not impressed.Got a 6 yr contract that worked good for us because the 3 yr one we voted down would've ended just when the recession started,Gave free shipping to everyone in Canada for a day DOH! lost more doing that than they expected .
One thing you guys keep reflecting on is the 4 -10 hr days.From what I heard it is not mandatory,you have to sign up for it.

browned out

I agree the bonus is a bribe.Last contract we went on strike for a day,they were not impressed.Got a 6 yr contract that worked good for us because the 3 yr one we voted down would've ended just when the recession started,Gave free shipping to everyone in Canada for a day DOH! lost more doing that than they expected .
One thing you guys keep reflecting on is the 4 -10 hr days.From what I heard it is not mandatory,you have to sign up for it.

The big picture is who fills in for the other day or two if u guys work saturdays? If these are seasonal or single vacation day cover drivers who don't gain any seniority for these days worked. How many full time drivers will UPS hire if they can abuse seasonals year round? This is a bad proposition all around.