Can't do anything right

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Well the important thing here is that she is doing o.k. now. My steward and BA both told me to not worry about what my center manager has planned for me Monday mourning. They said if I am disciplined they will not accept anything short of all back pay.

That is the important thing, and even if your center manager gets off on pursuing silly things-and this is-the only repercussion you should suffer is the annoyance; he can't even suspend you a day or send a letter, unless you have a habit of not reporting injuries until later.

Myself, I am looking at your account as what I should do if in your situation. I also realize other drivers may wonder about the same thing, and we all can benefit from the knowledge gained from this. But really, this should all be much ado about nothing.

Package_Donkey14

milk was a bad choice
I would hope that your center manager will have taken the weekend to review what happened, taking in to account the obvious concern that you had for her well-being, and will simply want to review the procedures for reporting injuries with you.

You went above and beyond and are to be commended for your compassion.

I shudder to think what MarneVet would have done if he were the driver in question.

I thank you for all your advice and knowledge. I even learned a little about concussions so I feel more prepared if I am ever in this situation again.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Aches and pains are one thing-----I am only 52 but I do the "old man walk" every morning.

If I were to twist my ankle on Monday and wait until the 27th to report it my center manager would have an absolute fit, especially if it resulted in a lost time injury.
Not sure how it works for the drivers, but I've always worked under the assumption if I get hurt while loading, say twist my ankle. I tell my sup but don't file an accident report. I go home, come in the next day and want to file a report and see a doctor, I will not qualify for comp because "technically" without witnesses, I can't prove I injured it at work. And if comp won't cover it, I would not qualify for TAW. Not sure how accurate that is, but wouldn't want to find out the hard way if the injury was bad enough to keep me out of work.

oldngray

nowhere special
Drivers can wait until they get back to building to report it, although its good to call it in when it happened. They just can't wait until next day.

Well the important thing here is that she is doing o.k. now. My steward and BA both told me to not worry about what my center manager has planned for me Monday mourning. They said if I am disciplined they will not accept anything short of all back pay.

If he has a brain in his head ( I know, I know) he won't say anything more than for the sake of doubt call sooner next time, period. Anything else should be immediately grieved and RTS'd.

Also it should be pointed out that the PCM, THAT DAY, should include managements' directives on how similar matters should be handled to remove all doubt as well as training for all on what to look for in cases of similar injuries. If they don't do that, and have taken disciplinary action against you, then grieve it as both a safety issue ( lack of proper driver training) and as harassment (singling out a driver yet failing to bring directives to centers attention). Also a call to OSHA to report lack of training, yet disciplinary action being taken against employees, on this safety issue would add a little piss to the Wheaties.

Play the game accordingly.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
So here we go again.. Another example of no matter what you do you're doing it wrong. My area had a really bad freezing rain storm yesterday that left all the roads and walkways 1 big ice skating rink. My helper fell and hit her head walking back to the truck. I helped her up and got her back in the jump seat. She said she was fine and wanted to keep working. So we did a few more stops but I could tell something was bothering her. I asked her if she wanted medical attention and she said absolutely not. The conditions outside were getting worse so I made the decision to bring her back to her car and call it a day for her. She said she was scared to drive in the ice storm so she called her mom to come pick her up. I called the center and let them know that she fell but she said she was ok and wanted to work but I was not going to keep her in fear of another fall. I stay with her until her mother arrives and that was that....so I thought... Couple hours later my center manager calls me and ask's why he wasn't informed about my helpers concussion. Apparently her mother forced her to go to the hospital on the way home. I said I didn't know about the hospital visit and I told him I had called it in and told my on car what happened. The center manager then tells me to report to his office 8am Monday mourning. WTF?
Do you start at 8am? If not your center manager can see you at start time.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Not sure how it works for the drivers, but I've always worked under the assumption if I get hurt while loading, say twist my ankle. I tell my sup but don't file an accident report. I go home, come in the next day and want to file a report and see a doctor, I will not qualify for comp because "technically" without witnesses, I can't prove I injured it at work. And if comp won't cover it, I would not qualify for TAW. Not sure how accurate that is, but wouldn't want to find out the hard way if the injury was bad enough to keep me out of work.

Doing it that way, you CYA, but in reality it is not up to you or you sup on whether or not they are to file a report: they are supposed to file, regardless. However, once you tell them, you have absolved yourself from any repercussions should your injury be more serious than originally thought and you need medical attention, or worse, time off.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Doing it that way, you CYA, but in reality it is not up to you or you sup on whether or not they are to file a report: they are supposed to file, regardless. However, once you tell them, you have absolved yourself from any repercussions should your injury be more serious than originally thought and you need medical attention, or worse, time off.

A few year ago I twisted my ankle on area. Sent an ODS and told them I could finish the day. Went to clinic when I got off road (on-car met me there), determined it was a mild sprain and that a day off to rest it would suffice. Took a sick day and was good to go the following day. Injury was not called in.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

If he has a brain in his head ( I know, I know) he won't say anything more than for the sake of doubt call sooner next time, period. Anything else should be immediately grieved and RTS'd.

Also it should be pointed out that the PCM, THAT DAY, should include managements' directives on how similar matters should be handled to remove all doubt as well as training for all on what to look for in cases of similar injuries. If they don't do that, and have taken disciplinary action against you, then grieve it as both a safety issue ( lack of proper driver training) and as harassment (singling out a driver yet failing to bring directives to centers attention). Also a call to OSHA to report lack of training, yet disciplinary action being taken against employees, on this safety issue would add a little piss to the Wheaties.

Play the game accordingly.

It is frustrating how things like this aren't mentioned in PCMs to help those who don't know better get the info they need. Stress this isn't about embarrassing anyone-if anything, focus on complimenting the driver for ultimately doing the right thing, as well as as refresh the procedures for handling such a situation, including calling ASAP.

Incidentally, I remember now something like this happening: driver called in helper's seemingly-minor injury right away, but helper wanted to work on. A report was filed, however. Months later, helper tried to file a suit against UPS, claiming more severe injuries, but was thwarted since the report had been filed immediately. Kudos was given to the driver for following the procedure, and it was presented as an example as to why we are to call these things in.

Package_Donkey14

milk was a bad choice
Do you start at 8am? If not your center manager can see you at start time.

My scheduled start time was 910. Im a satellite driver. I was told Friday night after I was punched out, to report Monday at the center at 8am. Im told 8 is the start time for all drivers starting out of the center

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
No, an accident report will not be filed, in my experience, unless insisted by the employee. I injured myself on the job not too long ago, told my line sup what happened. I was pulled off the line and immediately ask by PM if I wanted to go home and rest and see how I felt tomorrow. When I refused (not wanting to lose 4 hrs of OT), was sent to do computer work for the rest of my shift, I insisted an accident report be filed, asked for a claim # and was driven to the UPS doctor by a manager. If I'd just gone home when they offered to let me, I doubt a report would've been filed.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

A few year ago I twisted my ankle on area. Sent an ODS and told them I could finish the day. Went to clinic when I got off road (on-car met me there), determined it was a mild sprain and that a day off to rest it would suffice. Took a sick day and was good to go the following day. Injury was not called in.

In August cut my arm rather badly on a trailer whose corner had been damaged by being backed into; I walked too closely. I bandaged it up, but told my sup anyway. The safety sup wanted me to go to the hospital to have it checked out, have an official report filed. I ultimately decided against it, but it was nice knowing that if my arm had start turning green over the weekend (it happened on a Friday) I could go to the hospital and tell em what happened, and know management was aware.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I wish you would have mentioned the satellite driver thing right away----now I can see why your center manager was all bent out of shape. Make sure you have a steward with you and let us know what happens. Dave.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

No, an accident report will not be filed, in my experience, unless insisted by the employee. I injured myself on the job not too long ago, told my line sup what happened. I was pulled off the line and immediately ask by Preload manager if I wanted to go home and rest and see how I felt tomorrow. When I refused (not wanting to lose 4 hrs of OT), was sent to do computer work for the rest of my shift, I insisted an accident report be filed, asked for a claim # and was driven to the UPS doctor by a manager. If I'd just gone home when they offered to let me, I doubt a report would've been filed.

I know in most cases a report won't be filed, but one is supposed to be, however minor. Honestly, though, it often boils down to who wants to fill out a sheet of paper that will just sit in a folder, never to be seen again. It will almost never bite you in the butt, until the day the small cut that you've had happen a thousand other times for some reason this time gets infected; you will then be given the riot act about not following procedures. Still, even then you shouldn't be disciplined, although I realize some CMs out there may try, but it shouldn't matter or stick.

Again, though, if you get the cut and tell a supe, who then decides to not file a report if you don't insist on filing one, if that cut gets infected it's on him for not filing the report, rather than on you for not insisting he filed the report, or whether or not you want him to.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Filing a report is not a UPS thing, that's an OSHA thing. It's why not reporting an injury is such a big gamble; heavy fines and sanctions can be levied because someone didn't think a report was worth filling out.