Can't find packages

margaritaville

Sorting my truck often has made UPS sooo much easier. I get that in the morning you wont have room but the second you have any utilize it. If you don't see a package instantly just sort the area it should be. The only thing that can really suck if some dick supe or loader tosses an air in towards the front of your truck and it lands elsewhere. Than youre friend-D!

Brown_Star

Methods Man
Whats worse is when you get a seasonal hire preloader who doesnt put any effort into the load at all. Yesterday my shelves weren't in order AT ALL. There were 2000 spa labels in the middle of my 2000 shelf and 2700 spa labels clear up at the front of the shelf. All he does is find where a package might fit and put it there. Not to mention that as soon as I make my first turn my 5000 or 7000 shelf has already flown off the shelf because it isnt even close to being secured.

I think I spent more than an hour yesterday just sorting my car. I ended up finding a bunch of packages I was missing because they weren't even on the right shelf. Needless to say I am showing up extra early on Monday to "talk" to this kid

Don't instruct the work force!

Ms.PacMan

OK based on the comments here I was thinking of doing the following:

Arrive early, line up all my 1000 stops and NDAs in order.

Go off trace to deliver aisle cloggers

After clearing the 1000 shelf, as I work on pulling packages from the 2000 shelf, I will create street piles on the bare 1000 shelf.

Continue with the same pattern until the lunchtime sort.

Another driver told me it's a waste of time to send the helper on streets with a handtruck. Should I let him off, or have him run the packages up to the houses?
I wouldn't recommend breaking trace to deliver bulky items - it won't be that helpful and it will kill you on time.
Use your helper as a runner and keep him/her with you.

Last edited:

Big Babooba

I've been doing this for years and has worked out well for me. The proper method is to find a temporary storage box behind any commercial establishment. You then load as much as you can into it. Once you do that you can then sort out the remainder of your load and deliver it. Then return to the temporary storage box and retrieve the rest of your day's work.
DSCN3209.jpg

(If it's still there.)

Big Babooba

It is the loaders fault when you have told him numerous times to at least put them in some sort of order. When the first package on your 2000 shelf is 2500+ spa label that means he isnt trying at all. I know hes new and didnt get proper training, but it isnt rocket science to put lower numbers before higher numbers

But it IS rocket science to put the larger numbers first:

Ms.PacMan

Single bulky items? No.

Bulk stops? Yes.
Dave, he's a seasonal driver. You need to explain this better.

Only break trace for a bulk stop within a reasonable distance. Drivers crawl around the truck to push, pull or drag stuff forward.

Scot - you're doing a tough job at the toughest, most impossible time of the year as an off the street seasonal driver. You're the man!! People fail at this doing half or a quarter of the work during the regular year. You're doing a good job and you'll get more proficient at it as the days go by. You can do this!

Box Ox

Don't sweat what you can't control. For me, a second run at the end of the day for stuff I couldn't find the first time is a given during peak due to seasonal loaders who do not care. Expect your first 3-4 hours to be an absolute, literal crawl and use any space you free up on your shelves to pull stuff off the floor. Be clear with your location about your ETA given conditions and be specific about why load quality is not acceptable when asked in the board at the end of the day.

Don't let management make you think that things that are only within their control are your problem. They're not. Just do your best and make it clear if you need help.

We work for a multi-billion dollar company that can make things work any time it needs to if you let it know it needs to get its A in gear.

UPSGUY72

Last week I helped a seasonal driver out Monday, Wednesday and Thursday two towns over after doing my 150+ stops in the hills. I took 30, 45, and 35 stops each day. Then I went as far as setting the rest of his stops up in the 1000 and 2000 section so he wouldn't be hunting and pecking at each stop. Each day I met him those sections were empty. On Thursday I took 35 stops and left him with 14 set his car up and then said you got 14 I got 35 try to beat me back to the building. He took offense to that and called my SUP and said I was talking down to him. Guess who I'm not helping anymore...

Last edited:

Brown_Star

Methods Man
Sorting my truck often has made UPS sooo much easier. I get that in the morning you wont have room but the second you have any utilize it. If you don't see a package instantly just sort the area it should be. The only thing that can really suck if some dick supe or loader tosses an air in towards the front of your truck and it lands elsewhere. Than youre friend-D!
Your not friend-D ... you didn't load the truck.

iowa boy

I had a bricked out p500 Friday. Then they decided to bring the rest of the the packages that wouldn't fit out at 5:00 so I got to basically run my whole route over again. ( I went though all the packages that wouldn't fit in the car at the building and use the not found function in the DIAD so I wouldn't be looking for them) My helper sucks thank good I won't have him the rest of peak. I handed him a 42 in TV and he thought he was carrying oneside and me the other. So I just delivered it myself to save time.

One stop at a time. Help delivers you look for the next couple of stops. Repeat...

I also had a bricked out p5 on Friday. They ended up cramming 280 boxes into this p5. (Had to leave a gun safe, 55" tv and other big boxes just to get my back doors shut. Called in to inform dispatch sup I couldn't find air and was asked when I was coming back to get the stuff I had left behind. Needless to say sup got a little pissy when I laughed at him.)

I had a bulk stop loaded as my first stop on my 2000 shelf. Couldn't find 8 boxes, but ended up finding them about 4 that afternoon loaded around the drivers side rear wheel well. My loader was on his 10th day of loading yesterday. For some reason, I kept using the words "epic fail" a lot yesterday.