Cant get hired beacause of family policy???????

D

dannyboy

HR guy

IF the job opening is full time, and you are going outside of UPS to fill it, then how can you not hire someone that is qualified to do the job just because they have someone that already works at UPS. IT would seem to me that would be discrimination against that person.

IF he qualifies for the job as an outside hire then he should be brought in just like any one else.

As for managment, I could see a conflict of interest there.
d

S

szekers

I know of more than 3 married friend/T drivers in our bldg. The only thing that cant happen is for one to go and be a delivery sup.
I recall about 3 or so years back they lifted the not hiring of relatives.

S

smf0605

Danny, It's a policy, and it's a policy that is uniformly enforced so it's not discrimination.
Drivers can marry each other, there is nothing the company can do about that after they are already employed.
The change in the relative hiring policy was changed a couple of years ago. The old policy said no relatives. The new policy says relatives can be hired into part time positions only.

synystergates

I'm a new hire and my brother in law is a delivery driver and I'm a loader. So where does that put me? Am I not able to move up in the company? I am going to college as well as working part time but if the situation arises where they want to promote me, can I move up in the company? I don't really understand this whole thing.

trickpony1

It's my understanding that your brorther in law is not related by "bloodline" so it shouldn't make a difference.
In the old days in may have but not now, of course, I'm not in HR so maybe someone who is could post an answer to your question.

JustAnotherBody

Ive been told that If u have a relative in managment you cant have a relative work in the same building.. the term relative is a relative term i guess though as there must be a thousand variables to this policy which could probably become a seperate policy book onto itself. (in my few years at ups i cant count the 'policies' that come into effect and are forgotten within a month and replaced with some other impractical ridiculous idea(lately in my building they are back on the no cell phones no radios WE WILL KEEP them policy, we all 'signed' off on that last week although I text messaged my way threw my shift all week and haven't heard a thing about it)

2 examples.
In my building my former full time Outbound Coordinator (manager) has a daughter working part time at the airport gateway down the road.

A part time supervisor in my building has a cousin in law working on the same sort in the same building.

CTOTH

Not retired, just tired
I worked in the same center as my father. I worked Local sort and he drives, never was an issue.