Cant make it in..

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
So both my kids didn't have school today and childcare was unavailable. I got such a hard time taking the day. Any advise on these situations.

You will get a hard time and a guilt trip EVERY time you call out, for any reason, because now they have to find a body to cover your route. Ignore it. That's why we have personals, floaters and vacation. Family first.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
So both my kids didn't have school today and childcare was unavailable. I got such a hard time taking the day. Any advise on these situations.
Yea, just hang up. All you have to do is inform them you won't be there. As long as you have days you can take them whenever the hell you want to. Just make sure they acknowledge it, then just say okay bye. Never ask, you TELL them.

Purplepackage

Yea, just hang up. All you have to do is inform them you won't be there. As long as you have days you can take them whenever the hell you want to. Just make sure they acknowledge it, then just say okay bye. Never ask, you TELL them.
Even if you don't have days to take, your job cannot punish you for calling off 1 time, excused or unexcused. You aren't indentured to the company

ch317273

When your bank says no, champion says YES
image.jpg
Just beetle-bomb 'em.....

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Yea, just hang up. All you have to do is inform them you won't be there
I called in once about 2-3 hours before start time. Came in the next day and was called into the center manager's office. He said he was going to discipline me for calling in less than 1 hour before start time. I'm guessing the dispatcher forgot I called in until my start time, then got into a bind because he couldn't cover me. I assured the center manager I called in before my start time, and after that, I used my cell phone, where at least I had a record of what # I called and what time I called it.

STFXG

Given the OP's situation do you really think a labor board is not going to side with her? Good luck with that.
If someone gets fired for not showing up to work? The business isn't responsible for personal problems. The labor board would find it a justifiable firing.

MAKAVELI

If someone gets fired for not showing up to work? The business isn't responsible for personal problems. The labor board would find it a justifiable firing.
It's not job abandonment when you call in . Thus it's not justified. Besides at Express we have sick leave, which you cannot be disciplined for using. Try again sir.

CJinx

Just because you call in doesn't mean your absence is excused. If the manager doesn't believe you or is a jerk then it could cause problems later on down the line. Based on a quick google search, collecting unemployment after being terminated for attendance appears to be hit or miss depending on what state you're in and whether or not the unemployment board is in a particularly generous mood that day.