Cant make it in..

dezguy

If someone gets fired for not showing up to work? The business isn't responsible for personal problems. The labor board would find it a justifiable firing.
The OP has a legitimate reason for calling in. On top of that, the OP actually called and wasn't no call, no show. That is not job abandonment.

MAKAVELI

Just because you call in doesn't mean your absence is excused. If the manager doesn't believe you or is a jerk then it could cause problems later on down the line. Based on a quick google search, collecting unemployment after being terminated for attendance appears to be hit or miss depending on what state you're in and whether or not the unemployment board is in a particularly generous mood that day.
FedEx has specific policies to follow in regards to discipline and termination. They aren't going to fire someone for 1 absence, regardless of what the manager thinks of the reason. If they don't follow their own policies they open the possibility of litigation. The OP did what she needed to do, call her manager and let them know she couldn't make it in to work.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Even if you don't have days to take, your job cannot punish you for calling off 1 time, excused or unexcused. You aren't indentured to the company
Lol actually I made a mistake when I posted this. I didn't realize it was Fed Ex haha. Sorry everyone! Don't take my advice at all!

STFXG

Something not right about that guy in the pinstriped suit.

he's big and he's strong
and he knows that he's badder
and he knows what he gets
he knows what he knows
and he knows what he has
and he knows what he digs
it gets better

and he's a tough guy
and he knows
he knows the best

Artee

So both my kids didn't have school today and childcare was unavailable. I got such a hard time taking the day. Any advise on these situations.

If you are in California you have what are called "kin care" days. You can use up to half of your sick days to stay home and care for your kids/spouse and more. Those sick days will count as a sick, but cannot be used in the calculation of your attendance score. There is nothing your manager can say about it. Its state law, but FedEx is not going to advertise it. Now you have to fib a bit and say the child/spouse/parent..etc is sick. You cannot use the excuse of not having child care believe.

Goldilocks

As a mother of 3, two of them I carried to term while still on the road, don't get me started how Fedex treats Pregnancies, as Operational Need pointed out, FAMILY FIRST. They will make you feel so bad, but as long as you have some day's or even if you need an LWOP day, TAKE IT...

Years ago, a manager had the nerve to tell me to have my 1st grader walk home by herself because he needed me to deliver. They put so much stress on mothers and fathers but especially mothers because we really worry. I know many cases of women couriers that did not carry to full term or simply lost their baby due to the heavy lifting. Good Luck to you and when you start to feel guilty or bad, just look in your child eye's.....

ch317273

When your bank says no, champion says YES
is this the mt3 you are referring to?????
image.jpg

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
As a mother of 3, two of them I carried to term while still on the road, don't get me started how Fedex treats Pregnancies, as Operational Need pointed out, FAMILY FIRST. They will make you feel so bad, but as long as you have some day's or even if you need an LWOP day, TAKE IT...

Years ago, a manager had the nerve to tell me to have my 1st grader walk home by herself because he needed me to deliver. They put so much stress on mothers and fathers but especially mothers because we really worry. I know many cases of women couriers that did not carry to full term or simply lost their baby due to the heavy lifting. Good Luck to you and when you start to feel guilty or bad, just look in your child eye's.....

I actually had a SM tell me one time that I had to choose between my child and my job. While I was on the road, I got a message on the powerpad telling me that I had to cover a route that night. I told the manager that I couldn't because there was noone to pick my then 4 or 5 year old up from daycare. He told me to talk to the SM. I called the SM and that's when he laid it out to me. When I flat out refused, he told me to come in early and be in his office. As soon as I hung up, I called HR. Rep was on vacation. I demanded the number for HR rep in closest district and called her. Told her what happened and that I felt that he was threatening my job. She told me that no, he couldn't do that and that she would take care of it, but go to the meeting in the morning. He was singing a whole different tune at that meeting. Winning!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So both my kids didn't have school today and childcare was unavailable. I got such a hard time taking the day. Any advise on these situations.

One of my favorite topics. You and your family always come first. Keep firmly in mind the fact that FedEx could care less about you and that it is SOP to harass employees who take time off for any reason other than vacation.
Eff them.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
View attachment 27420 Just beetle-bomb 'em.....

Moms Mabley and MT3 got together and well, uhh...you see the unfortunate result. What's more pitiful is the poor white fellow trying really hard to be black (and cool). There's a name for folks like him, and it starts with a "W" and rhymes with "bigger". He is one, and looks like a perfect Ground driver candidate.

Last edited:

pkg4me

We have a driver that almost every Saturday he doesn't show up. He has to be called and woke up or he just comes in late. Why does he not get fired? Wouldn't that be a no call no show if the manager has to call and wake him up every other Saturday?