Captive Meeting In San Bernardino

thedownhillEXPRESS

This sounds all too familiar.

Yeah, pretty much the stock reply anymore.

Scenario 1

Driver- I can't get up that snowcovered mile long driveway!

Manager- new guy number one can.

Scenario 2

Driver-But the last two times I tried to get an ASR there I got bit by a pit bull, and you gave me a warning letter.

Manager-new guy number 2 can do it (signs for ASR)

Scenario 3

Driver- but I can't transport that radioactive 3, I don't have my hazmat.

Manager- new guy number 3 has been , and he never complains.
Poor guy is infertile, and our medical plan sure as hell won't help him, but he does it dammit!

Sound like your station guys?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yeah, pretty much the stock reply anymore.

Scenario 1

Driver- I can't get up that snowcovered mile long driveway!

Manager- new guy number one can.

Scenario 2

Driver-But the last two times I tried to get an ASR there I got bit by a pit bull, and you gave me a warning letter.

Manager-new guy number 2 can do it (signs for ASR)

Scenario 3

Driver- but I can't transport that radioactive 3, I don't have my hazmat.

Manager- new guy number 3 has been , and he never complains.
Poor guy is infertile, and our medical plan sure as hell won't help him, but he does it dammit!

Sound like your station guys?

Any time you have a safety issue or otherwise question your task at hand/workload, that means you have a "bad attitude". Joe obviously has one because he doesn't want to deliver a residential area out of a 48' trailer. This company is insane.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Any time you have a safety issue or otherwise question your task at hand/workload, that means you have a "bad attitude". Joe obviously has one because he doesn't want to deliver a residential area out of a 48' trailer. This company is insane.

While it is a terrible work environment, it's one that most Express couriers are all too familiar with. The whole rule changing midstream is so very ignorant, but it is a daily occurrence.

Mgr-- "Why didn't you punch in 20 mins early like we announced via PPad and notes in the check in room?"
Courier -- "You didn't announce it until 1330 and I am gone to my other job by noon every day. I even came to your office to see if you needed any help on the PM side and you could have mentioned it then."
Mgr -- "it's your job to anticipate changes in the workplace and be flexible for operational needs. This is a copy of 2-5 acceptable conduct on tardiness."

Sadly, this was an actual conversation I overheard this week. Not at all uncommon.

DontThrowPackages

While it is a terrible work environment, it's one that most Express couriers are all too familiar with. The whole rule changing midstream is so very ignorant, but it is a daily occurrence.

Mgr-- "Why didn't you punch in 20 mins early like we announced via PPad and notes in the check in room?"
Courier -- "You didn't announce it until 1330 and I am gone to my other job by noon every day. I even came to your office to see if you needed any help on the PM side and you could have mentioned it then."
Mgr -- "it's your job to anticipate changes in the workplace and be flexible for operational needs. This is a copy of 2-5 acceptable conduct on tardiness."

Sadly, this was an actual conversation I overheard this week. Not at all uncommon.
No way I've would have signed anything, in that situation. The schedule is posted. We look at it and plan accordingly. If its my day to work til 1200pm and they decide some big wig is coming in for a surprise meet and greet at 5am and Im schedule for 7am, thats not my fault for coming in at my posted time. My manager could have texted me or called. What do they want, 40 couriers calling them at their homes every night asking if the start time changes in the last 5 minutes?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Amazing, but not surprising. They use the phrase "anticipate" a lot, as in "anticipating the hazard", and "anticipating changes in the workplace". Maybe we need to bring Kreskin out of retirement so he can teach us to be psychic or perhaps FedEx should issue Ouija boards to each of us so we can know what is to happen next. I would have not signed anything and called-in sick the next day. Screw them.