Car and Bike Talk

Rico

I've always wanted a Deuce and a half. A later turbo diesel model, with air assist steering and a winch. I just haven't figured out how to sneak it past the wife.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
I've always wanted a Deuce and a half. A later turbo diesel model, with air assist steering and a winch. I just haven't figured out how to sneak it past the wife.
Nice. I've always wanted an old Oshkosh like this one
image.jpg

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Just dropped my 65 mustang off at the media blaster before I headed out on vacation. Gonna look like Swiss cheese when I get it back I'm sure.

Rico

Yea, but you'll know where the body needs work. Better than having a bunch of paint blisters start popping up a year or so after you get it back on the road.

If I had to do it again I'd take and have it dipped. Nowadays it will come out clean and coated to prevent corrosion just like a new car.

When I stripped my car I was on my drivers :censored2: list after ordering all these 60lb bags of walnut shell from Eastwood

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
did you do the paint? I've done a couple of trucks, but not nearly the quality of thar camaro.

I did everything on my cars except upholstery.

I averaged about 18 months start to finish on my cars.
Nice. I haven't painted anything in a long time - just work trucks using cheap paint- they came out just ok,
A little dust. & orange peel, but for work trucks, it was fine. Nothing like your work for sure

That was the first car I ever did. I took forever because I was so obsessed with getting the paint perfect. The second car didn't take as near as long as I had the expieriance then.

​I wish I had that car back. I have so many different directions I would take it today.

Rico

I did everything on my cars except upholstery.

I averaged about 18 months start to finish on my cars.

On the first car my dad restored, he was convinced that with my help he could do the upholstery. We wound up getting frustrated, drinking too much beer, and arguing like a couple of teenage girls fighting over whteher a boy is cute or not. He ships it off to someone for the upholstery now.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If I had to do it again I'd take and have it dipped. Nowadays it will come out clean and coated to prevent corrosion just like a new car.

When I stripped my car I was on my drivers :censored2: list after ordering all these 60lb bags of walnut shell from Eastwood

The problem with dipping is it can remove rust from spots that you will never see. There are parts of the car that are protective coated while its being built that no one can ever get to again. Also dipping is very expensive and hard to find a place to get it done at anymore.

In a few years I may invest in a dustless blasting system to make a little extra money. The dry ice just evaporates all u have is a little water run off. Clean up is a breeze.

The problem with dipping is it can remove rust from spots that you will never see. There are parts of the car that are protective coated while its being built that no one can ever get to again. Also dipping is very expensive and hard to find a place to get it done at anymore.

In a few years I may invest in a dustless blasting system to make a little extra money. The dry ice just evaporates all u have is a little water run off. Clean up is a breeze.

The dipping I looked into was a three part process that stripped and dissolved rust leaving the good metal, rinse dipped it, and then dipped it into a solution that was charged I believe to coat the metal with anticorosion material.
For what I spent on materials, industrial high volume compressor rental, time involved, cleanup,etc, plus a wife po'd at the entire process, having the car dipped would have been a bargain.

At the time, baking soda was the best method of blasting. Haven't heard of the dry ice. The lack of clean up would be appealing.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
[video=youtube;6s3e_SrrFUk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6s3e_SrrFUk[/video]
Amatuers. I general take a dim view of stuff like this, especially on public roads. "Hey everybody, look at me! " Only time my front wheel leaves the ground is when I twist the throttle a little too far and nobody is around.