Car and Bike Talk

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is my dream car:

images

Cementups

Box Monkey
This is my dream car:

images

Your dream car is a $40-50k car ready at any dealer at this moment?!?! Aim Higher Dave.

When I owned my Volvo S60R ($45k sticker but I paid $35k), guys at work would rag on me about having such a nice car. Call me money bags and such. I was like, that's stupid because your F150 cost more than my fancy luxury car.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Dave lives a frugal lifestyle. A Beemer would be an extravagance.

Actually, my plan is to use my 401k to pay off the lease balance on my new Altima when I retire.

Yeah, I will probably never own another luxury car. Higher priced car means higher priced repairs. My wife still owns a Volvo S60 but it's 10 years old now. They wanted to charge us $450 to change the rear brakes. I did all new rotors and pads for less than $150 on it my on driveway.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Looks nicely done, but a swap like that would completely remove the original character of the Mini.

The motor mount kit is $2600 (new undercarriage) but they sell a complete kit that includes Rebuilt Honda B16 VTEC Engine/Transmission Complete, MTB2 Kit, B2 Aluminum Radiator Kit, Poly Engine Mount Kit, Superbrake Kit, Swivels Hubs, Drive Flanges, B2 Axle Upgrade, S Coil-Over Shock Kit, B16 Chipped ECU, B Wiring Harness, and shifter for $11,200. Drop in and go!!! Vroom vroom!!!!

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Yeah, I will probably never own another luxury car. Higher priced car means higher priced repairs. My wife still owns a Volvo S60 but it's 10 years old now. They wanted to charge us $450 to change the rear brakes. I did all new rotors and pads for less than $150 on it my on driveway.
The real brakes financial sodomy starts with Mercedes. People need to understand the upscale monetary aspect doesn't end with the initial purchase.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Dave lives a frugal lifestyle. A Beemer would be an extravagance.

Actually, my plan is to use my 401k to pay off the lease balance on my new Altima when I retire.

The real brakes financial sodomy starts with Mercedes. People need to understand the upscale monetary aspect doesn't end with the initial purchase.

What @1BROWNWRENCH said. If you want a BMW, Dave, you better deeply research maintenance costs. There are plenty of cheap used BMW's, Merc's and Audi's that have never been properly maintained.

oldngray

nowhere special
And I'm sure still expensive to keep up.

My son once looked at a really nice 2002 (the model, not the year), and even though I liked it as much as he did, I talked him out of it.

Usually those luxury cars get traded in about the time they are due for expensive maintenance.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
You probably don't remember, but we had this conversation a few years ago. Helped me decide against a Mercedes.