Catatonic

Nine Lives
This is my dream car:

images
Does it have 4-Wheel drive?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I've looked at several Opel GT's over the year and the biggest reason I never pulled the trigger for one is trying to find parts. Scares the crap out of me. I'm sure I could find some stuff in Europe but I would blow my budget in shipping.

They sure were purty, though.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I've looked at several Opel GT's over the year and the biggest reason I never pulled the trigger for one is trying to find parts. Scares the crap out of me. I'm sure I could find some stuff in Europe but I would blow my budget in shipping.
A truly odd and rare car here. Poor man's Corvette with no rear hatch. I was thinking a little Chev 2.8 V6 would fit in one nicely.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Poor man's Corvette

I had a good friend in junior high and high school who's father was a mechanic at a Studebaker/Buick/Opel dealer.

Now and then he'd bring cars home for us to check out. The GT and the Avanti are two that stick out in my memory.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I had a good friend in junior high and high school who's father was a mechanic at a Studebaker/Buick/Opel dealer.

Now and then he'd bring cars home for us to check out. The GT and the Avanti are two that stick out in my memory.
You can get Avanti replicas if you really want one. I'd like a supercharged Hawk.

Cementups

Box Monkey

Avanti's are one of my favorite cars of all time. LOVE them. Most people don't like them and most people my age and younger don't even know what they are.

I was on my route 2 routes ago and delivering this guys house and he had the garage doors open. We instantly became friends. I walked by him, handed him the package and just kept right on walking into his garage to check out the beauty in bay 1. In the process I asked if he minded if I checked out his car. He asked if I knew what it was to which I replied, "I could spot an Avanti a mile away." That's when he made my jaw drop. He said, "But I bet you never saw one of these. It's originally factory supercharged." Shut the front door!!!! After a few conversations I asked if he ever planned on getting rid of it. Said his kids wanted nothing to do with it so eventually he would have to sell it. I told him to let me know when. Unfortunately I got bid off the route and lost contact with the fellow. :(

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Avanti's are one of my favorite cars of all time. LOVE them. Most people don't like them and most people my age and younger don't even know what they are.

I was on my route 2 routes ago and delivering this guys house and he had the garage doors open. We instantly became friends. I walked by him, handed him the package and just kept right on walking into his garage to check out the beauty in bay 1. In the process I asked if he minded if I checked out his car. He asked if I knew what it was to which I replied, "I could spot an Avanti a mile away." That's when he made my jaw drop. He said, "But I bet you never saw one of these. It's originally factory supercharged." Shut the front door!!!! After a few conversations I asked if he ever planned on getting rid of it. Said his kids wanted nothing to do with it so eventually he would have to sell it. I told him to let me know when. Unfortunately I got bid off the route and lost contact with the fellow. :(

My friend's father gave us a ride in one just like this. And, yes, it was supercharged and a 4-speed. (Mechanics back then got to have some fun test-driving new cars.:))

63avani.jpg