Car and Bike Talk

rod

Retired 22 years
I hate ALL Fords.......

I've got a friend who has never owned anything other than Fords. He got it from his dad who was the same way. He uses nothing but Ford factory parts and MotorCraft oil (Ford). I swear he has a orgasm ever time he sees a Mustang. Last fall he bougt one of those 600 hp Mustangs. Being that it is a convertible I had to ask him why he got the "girls" model. He wouldn't talk to me for a week.

clean hairy

I've got a friend who has never owned anything other than Fords. He got it from his dad who was the same way. He uses nothing but Ford factory parts and MotorCraft oil (Ford). I swear he has a orgasm ever time he sees a Mustang. Last fall he bougt one of those 600 hp Mustangs. Being that it is a convertible I had to ask him why he got the "girls" model. He wouldn't talk to me for a week.
He is going through a midlife crisis?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Weather ford ppl like it or not the mustang is kind of known as a chick car.

clean hairy

Folks, would like some feedback on this one.
I know a guy has a '79 Firebird (not sure of engine/trans combo, but do know it is a V-8 all numbers matching, 100% stock)
His Wife bought it as her first car.Failed Emissions in the mid 90's, so they have had it parked in the garage ever since. No body damage except for the obligatory door dings, paint is still great.
He wants to have it restored one day.
I say to pull the original engine and trans, put in good used drivetrain, keep the original in the garage untouched, and make it driveable as it sits, no restoration, it is only original 1 time.
Best route to go on it?
Is it a car I should consider buying if he decides to sell, and what price?

moreluck

golden ticket member
When I see something like this it almost makes me want to cry.

View attachment 67889
when I see something like that.....I want to watch a person over 60 get into it........It's a car from their time you know.

Reminds me.....parked at 99 Cent Store........very tall truck....rope out the side door and milk case tied to rope as a step to use....so redneck, I laughed out loud!

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Folks, would like some feedback on this one.
I know a guy has a '79 Firebird (not sure of engine/trans combo, but do know it is a V-8 all numbers matching, 100% stock)
His Wife bought it as her first car.Failed Emissions in the mid 90's, so they have had it parked in the garage ever since. No body damage except for the obligatory door dings, paint is still great.
He wants to have it restored one day.
I say to pull the original engine and trans, put in good used drivetrain, keep the original in the garage untouched, and make it driveable as it sits, no restoration, it is only original 1 time.
Best route to go on it?
Is it a car I should consider buying if he decides to sell, and what price?

Unless it's some really special engine/transmission combination, he'd be better off just getting it running again and fixing the emissions problem. Being over 25 years old, he might be able to remove all the emissions equipment legally.

It will never really be worth a lot, despite what Richard Rawlings says.

oldngray

nowhere special
Unless it's some really special engine/transmission combination, he'd be better off just getting it running again and fixing the emissions problem. Being over 25 years old, he might be able to remove all the emissions equipment legally.

It will never really be worth a lot, despite what Richard Rawlings says.

79 was in the middle of the low horsepower emissions control years. Nice car but not a classic. I wouldn't mind having one for my own use but not to sell.

friend-body has weak suspension and usually the rear end will sag after a few years. I had a 79 Camaro that was similar.

moreluck

golden ticket member
79 was in the middle of the low horsepower emissions control years. Nice car but not a classic. I wouldn't mind having one for my own use but not to sell.

friend-body has weak suspension and usually the rear end will sag after a few years. I had a 79 Camaro that was similar.
Had an '83 IROC Z Camero.....Brown with gold striping.....drove it (stick) in Idaho Falls snow. Played Culture Club on the tape player.

oldngray

nowhere special
Had an '83 IROC Z Camero.....Brown with gold striping.....drove it (stick) in Idaho Falls snow. Played Culture Club on the tape player.

83 had a different body. Smaller and I would have guessed not as good in the snow. My 79 was great in the snow though.