careful what insurance plan you vote for

I am very concerned about the health insurance information that is being given.

Is there a discretionary clause that if a MAJORITY of union workers sign up for this switch over to the "new ups health insurance plan" that this could in fact null and void the existing health benefits we currently hold. No negotiating until the next contract.

If you have a majority (51%) of workers that enroll for this health insurance plan the company could then say that it is a financial burden to continue the current plan and could null and void the existing healthcare plan.

If you have a majority of non union and union employees in this plan could that constitute as a majority?

Is enrolling for this plan literally enrolling us out of our rights under the current union contract?

Ask questions and becareful as it says once you enroll in this program you CANNOT go back.

We are not signing up for this. Please ask more questions......don't jump to this and dont let the company scare you into this.

Kind regards.

JonFrum

Could you tell us more about the situation? Most of us aren't faced with a switch in health care plans so this is the first we've heard of it.

What are the plans? What Locals does this apply to?

One thing I do know, is that if a plan and/or its features were negotiated and agreed to, they can't be unilaterally changed by the Company mid-Contract without first bargaining over the change with the Union.

But if the Contract language allowed the change in the first place, then no further bargaining would be needed.

Cezanne

Read Article 34 (Master): Monetary weekly increases into either the Pension or Health and Welfare Trusts. This is part of of our negotiated benefit package, any decreases in coverage has to be explained. If Jonfrum can confirm this, I believe that with this last contract that most of our benefit raises went into our pension and health and welfare plans instead of our hourly rate. I am guessing that you will not see any drastic changes in any health and welfare plans over this next contract, probadly small stuff here or there in order to save money.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Read Article 34 (Master): Monetary weekly increases into either the Pension or Health and Welfare Trusts. This is part of of our negotiated benefit package, any decreases in coverage has to be explained. If Jonfrum can confirm this, I believe that with this last contract that most of our benefit raises went into our pension and health and welfare plans instead of our hourly rate. I am guessing that you will not see any drastic changes in any health and welfare plans over this next contract, probadly small stuff here or there in order to save money.

First off - it's not an insurance plan, it's a health benefit plan. That tells you something there. :wink2:
I looked at my Tax Return and I paid $16,841 last year for health related costs not covered by my UPS Health plan (note: $3,500 was at pre-tax dollars through the UPS Flex Account reimbursement plan). Probably $8000 was related to dental implant cost.
I don't know how that compares to other UPSers but 15 years ago, my costs out of pocket would have been much less.

UPSGUY72

I don't pay anything but my monthly union dues. No copays except for drugs and we get a $600 allowance for stuff like that or dental that's not covered.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
(c) During the life of this Agreement, the Employer will continue to make applicable contributions to all
IBT Health and Welfare Funds and all IBT Pension Funds (or the successor funds in case of merger of
funds) for full-time and/or part-time employees in all Supplements, Riders and Addenda where the
Employer was making contributions for full-time and/or part-time employees on May 1, 1982, unless
stated to the contrary in this Article or changes placing these employees in UPS plans are negotiated
and agreed to by the National Negotiating Committee.
(d) In those Supplements, Riders and Addenda where the Employer was providing health & welfare
and/or pension benefit coverage to employees (either full-time or part-time) on May 1, 1982, the
Employer will continue to provide health & welfare and/or pension benefit coverage under the Company
plan(s), with funding under the related trust(s) established by the Employer for this purpose, for the life
of this Agreement unless specified otherwise in the applicable Supplemental Agreement, Rider, and
Addendum or this Article.

^^ these are key.

So if and when the IBT and UPS agree to remove this language in 2013 and tell the part-timers to "Vote Yes on this amazing agreement" , such as what happened in 2008, the word needs to be spread quickly that it is a set-up.

P.S. no part-timers with 1 year or less get holiday pay for Columbus day. Thank you UPS and Teamsters!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
P.S. no part-timers with 1 year or less get holiday pay for Columbus day. Thank you UPS and Teamsters!

What a shame. I've been with the company 20 years and never got paid for Columbus day. When is Columbus day?

UnconTROLLed

perfection

What a shame. I've been with the company 20 years and never got paid for Columbus day. When is Columbus day?

It is probably a New England thing. We get double time and a half Monday, except 1 year or less part-timers.

Could you tell us more about the situation? Most of us aren't faced with a switch in health care plans so this is the first we've heard of it.

What are the plans? What Locals does this apply to?

One thing I do know, is that if a plan and/or its features were negotiated and agreed to, they can't be unilaterally changed by the Company mid-Contract without first bargaining over the change with the Union.

But if the Contract language allowed the change in the first place, then no further bargaining would be needed.

We received info from UPS hr in the mail and hr has been holding meetings with drivers asking them to drop our current aetna negotiated plan and enroll in a different aetna plan that has significant changes.

They are telling the drivers it saves the company money.

This plan now has us paying for prescription drugs, co pays for dr visits, er visits plus out of pocket expense.

See, once you opt out you cannot go back and since this is not the plan we negotiated.....anything goes. They are keeping the part where once you opt out you cant go back but it states it in the fine print.

Just as managements plan changes every year so will this.

Many young drivers are looking at it as "wow now they pay for well child baby checks and immunizations"......well once signed up you can only pick from selected doctors.

There is a pre existing clause for "serious illness".

We are afraid of repercussions. We have a sick kid.

I have papers that the company has sent. Should we take this to the union hall?

Thank you for your help.

JonFrum

We New Englanders also get Veterans Day as a paid holiday. (Straight time holiday pay plus time-and-one-half for the hours actually worked, which means double-time-and-one-half for the day.)

But don't feel too bad. We probably gave up something else in negotiations to keep these two holidays.

And our pension plan, which has been less than 50% funded for years, is now down to 43.5% funded. :sad-very: