Carry over days a thing of the past?

helenofcalifornia

No one in our center that has taken this upcoming week off for vacation is getting the "carry over" extra day the following Monday. They were told they will either get an extra day of pay or an agreed to day off in the future. Is this happening nationwide?

bluehdmc

In my local we just get the extra days pay. At least that's how it works for feeders. Some people take a holiday week off just to get the extra days pay. Makes up for OT lost. Of course there hasnt' been too much of that lately either.

helenofcalifornia

Feeders are a whole different animal. I was talking package and PT. Feeder drivers never get sick or take time off where I am. Different breed. Maybe walrus? Kinda big, moody, mean and always sounding gruff.

P

pickup

Feeders are a whole different animal. I was talking package and PT. Feeder drivers never get sick or take time off where I am. Different breed. Maybe walrus? Kinda big, moody, mean and always sounding gruff.

I would think there are a few reasons for that. For example , we got a few package guys here in the browncafe that have to go to the dentist. Most dentists aren't open 10 oclock at night (unless you're elvis, did you know he visited the dentist late at night and the next day , he died? but I digress) . So you guys have to take a day off to see the dentist. A feeder will be off anyway (those that work at night) and can see the dentist. A feeder that works in the day ain't seeing overtime anyway these days and can schedule after work and be pretty safe assured he can make the appointment.Even if there is overtime, he can safely refuse it knowing that there are others who will gladly grab that scrap of meat. PC drivers are over 9.5 constantly and are pressured to make sure the packages are delivered.

A feeder driver doesn't generally have to cover for another feeder driver once he is out on the road so his fate isn't tied to others and he is generally delivering one big "package" and his handtruck is literally a truck.

Yes, feeder drivers get sick and when they do, they can be less talkative to conserve energy and just stay within themselves to do the job safely. PC drivers have to talk to a million people : their overseers, the customers etc and park constantly. Parking can drain ya in my opinion especially in tight areas. Plus PC drivers have to keep up the sense of urgency going at all times. Feeder drivers can drag their feet when they are sick and the only time it will show is when they are hooking up a tractor to a trailer and doing the walk around. Once you are in the truck, it doesn't take a lot of energy to keep the foot on the pedal. Maybe some of you PC drivers have had the dream run once in a while where you went 115 miles and did few stops(recent thread?) . Other times, you are doing a tight circuit with multiple stops , multiple time pressures, etc. Out of those two scenarios, which one are you more likely able to do when you are sick?

Also, during peak, feeder drivers are accustomed to working 13 hour days that sometimes creep near 14. When peak is over, and we go back to less hours and we get sick we can alway pull into our memory of what got us through the string of the 13 hour days and get the 8 hour day in and let it be known that we are not feeling well so we get no overtime.

As for a guy like orangeputeh(feeder) who puts in 12 hour days on a consistent basis. He has a couple of things going for him when he gets sick. (including all things mentioned already) His run is known to him before he shows up at work, there are no suprises . He just has to get hooked up and point the truck in a straight line and rely on his honed skills. Plus Orangeputeh was once a long distance driver with another company where he probably worked many 18 hour days and taught himself how to push through when he wasn't feeling well because being out of commission was something his company didn't want to hear. A 12 hour day to him is less in comparison to what he once accustomed himself to doing

I am not saying PC drivers are wimps, heck no ,it is just the demands on your energies are greater than on ours and when you are sick , you are more likely to call in and also as mentioned your daytime hours preclude you many times from seeing a doctor. We feeders don't lift packages(that much) and we can bang our knees like you PC guys do and hurts our arms but we can get by recovering in our air conditioned trucks (oh dear lord that ac does wonders for a fever and the outside heat doesn't wear us down consistently during the summer.

Also, when we do our bulk pickups, sometimes when we backup to the shipper, we can sit there for 45 minutes and we will get woken up by the shipper when everything is done. PC drivers will go to other stops if this is the case for them. Also feeders who go to the airport sometimes have the opportunity to lie down in the tractor for up for 1 or 2 hours. How welcome that can be when you are marginally sick.

We are encouraged to take our lunches and even when we do, sometimes our loads aren't ready even when we get under the trailer (again another 30 minute nap).

Don't get me wrong, feeder drivers have tough days where we are lifting empty pallets out of our trucks, where our time deadlines are tight and where the stakes are higher if we don't manuever out trucks correctly(doubles) But we generally know what we are doing the day before and another driver calling in sick does not add more "packages" to our trucks. Plus it is my opinion that a center will keep extra drivers busy in shifters and then pull those drivers out of the yard if they need to cover for a sick driver.

I could go on forever but I think you got my point. As I was writing, the epiphany that came to me was the air conditioning. What a difference maker that is. I probably could have told some more about the tough stuff about feeders. The reason we don't always make eye contact with a pc driver passing by is that sometimes we are too damn concerned about where the blindside (momentary , but blind nevertheless) of the back of the trailer is when we are driving in tight traffic that we can't afford to say hi with a glance and a wave of hand.

I'll just throw this up against the wall now. I like using orangeputeh as an example a lot of times because we know a little bit about him and his run

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pickup

I would also like to add ,for those who don't know or remember, is that I was an off the street hire and never did pc for ups. However, for many years, I drove a straight truck (non ac a lot of times) and busted my hump. This is when I was a much younger man . I don't think I could do it now. My hat is off to you pc drivers.

One thing I forgot to mention about feeders is the night time hours in terms in how it affects our sleep. We can come in refreshed at 10 or 11 or night and hit the wall at 3:30 in the morning because everything is telling our bodies that it is time to sleep.( A lot of our lunches are used to answer this call from nature but it still leaves us grumpy when we wake up) . Salvation to this problem often comes in the form of the sunrise where we get our second wind in response to the light but then we can't sleep well when we get home and then come in the next night unrefreshed and then use all those chances we can get to close our eyes for a few minutes or to stretch if we are waiting on a load in order to get our bodies or minds to cooperate in our labors. If we can't do this especially with the mind, I can assure you an accident is just waiting to happen.

P

pickup

To sum it up, when pc drivers are sick, they are fighting themselves and the world. When feeders are sick, we only (for the most part) have to fight ourselves.

Good post pickup, most of that I had never even thought about. I have never had any animosity toward feeder drivers. They do their job and I do mine. The main reason I never applied for feeders is I don't like to drive period, but specially at night.

helenofcalifornia

Pickup, that was almost an homage to package drivers. I never quite thought about it, but parking that truck at least 170-200 times a day is a bit of stress.
I did not intend this thread to be a slam on feeders at all. You guys have earned that job for the most part with years driving the smaller truck. My reference in comparing FDers to walruses was intended to be humorous, nothing more. I will leave the funny stuff to Hoax from here on out.

But, is anybody out there on vacation this upcoming week, getting the following Monday off?

Pickup, great post. Explained the differences between the two types of drivers well.

A

anonymous6

Sounds like me. ( but good looking )

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
No one in our center that has taken this upcoming week off for vacation is getting the "carry over" extra day the following Monday. They were told they will either get an extra day of pay or an agreed to day off in the future. Is this happening nationwide?

Hahaha, they tried pulling that here on us part-timers. Said it was different for us (not PC or 22.3 or feeder) under our new (LU705) contract. Even though the language didn't change at all (there weren't even any wills to change to shalls). I think it was an attempt to appear magnanimous when they graciously grant the affected employee his/her "carry over" day. Our PT language is separate/different from FT, but my point is the language didn't change for either, and their bluff was called. "Carry over" days granted.

bluehdmc

I don't consider myself moody, mean, and ALWAYS sounding gruff, (just sometimes) :happy-very:

Cementups

Box Monkey
Took this week off,by mistake. I just got an extra days pay. No time off.

I NEVER take holiday weeks off. I would rather have the day off than paid for an extra day. I have been lucky enough the last few years to get the week before Labor Day off so that that way I have 10 days off instead of the standard 9.

helenofcalifornia

That's the way everyone will be picking vacations now out here I imagine. I lucked out and picked the week before Labor Day too this year. Another UPS milestone bites the dust with the demise of the "carry over" day. We should make a list of all the things that UPS has eliminated this year. Circle of Honor, Thanksgiving turkeys, numerous districts, safety awards, etc. Quite a year for UPS in their cost cutting.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
We never had carry over days in my district. Would have been nice.

If I am not smiling at work it must mean I am sick. I feel like I hit some kind of UPS lottery since transferring to feeders.

I look at the grumpy feeder drivers and have to wonder: if they were in package it must have been so long ago they forget how good they now have it. Or, they are off the street and really do not know the true darkside of big brown.

Hangingon

26 years and I've never even heard of carry over days. We get paid an extra day for the holiday and come in bright eyed and bushy tailed on Monday. Must have been part of your supplement or a carry over that one of the bean counters finally noticed.

A day off for Birthday's like I hear some areas have would be nice too.

Last edited: