Casual Driver - make a journey out of it?

jackonack

Driving on the island
I did something rather usual this summer. Through happenstance, I managed to get a casual driver's position on Nantucket, MA for the heavy season (high tourist area here). The strange thing is that I'm from Buffalo NY and came here for the job and to see the coast. Now that I came here and my position ended late Aug, I'm considering going back home and doing the holiday season as a casual again (assuming it works; we've spoken by phone and it sounds like a good possibility).

I'm thinking this has potential for some adventure and journeying around; has anyone started as a causal and going different places just for the adventure? I'm all ears for tips.

Jack

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You use the term "casual" but I think you were a seasonal hire. A casual is a driver who does not have his/her own route. There are also drivers who are FT casuals or bid cover drivers who do not wish to have their own route. There are days when I would love to be a casual again but, for the most part, I enjoy having my own route.

I guess it would be possible to bounce from area to area to work as a seasonal hire.

John19841

In Mass seasonal and casual are interchangeable. What you refer to as a casual, we refer to as cover. Every driver is full time. Those without the seniority to bid a route, are cover drivers.

P

pickup

I did something rather usual this summer. Through happenstance, I managed to get a casual driver's position on Nantucket, MA for the heavy season (high tourist area here). The strange thing is that I'm from Buffalo NY and came here for the job and to see the coast. Now that I came here and my position ended late Aug, I'm considering going back home and doing the holiday season as a casual again (assuming it works; we've spoken by phone and it sounds like a good possibility).

I'm thinking this has potential for some adventure and journeying around; has anyone started as a causal and going different places just for the adventure? I'm all ears for tips.

Jack

Hey Jack, what a cool idea.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Jack

I don't know Jack!
That sounds like an interesting way of working and UPS is more open to different way of doing things. Perhaps talk to the HR person that hired you for the Nantucket area and see if he/she will facilitate your placement in Buffalo or another area.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
In Mass seasonal and casual are interchangeable. What you refer to as a casual, we refer to as cover. Every driver is full time. Those without the seniority to bid a route, are cover drivers.

Not the buildings and centers I've worked (ene, nne)

Seasonal = vacation covers (summer) and peak, post Oct 1st. No FT seniority
Cover driver = FT bid cover driver.

In other areas, (such as Atlantic) "casual" are different classification than FT cover or seasonal, and have a different pay scale.

John19841

Not the buildings and centers I've worked (ene, nne)

Seasonal = vacation covers (summer) and peak, post Oct 1st. No FT seniority
Cover driver = FT bid cover driver.

In other areas, (such as Atlantic) "casual" are different classification than FT cover or seasonal, and have a different pay scale.

Sorry, I should of quoted. I was responding to upstate. What you are saying, and what I said are the same thing...Although you did word it better. In Mass, seasonal and casual are the same thing.