Casual Driver, What Union Benefits?

MassWineGuy

There's a good chance that I'll be hired as a casual, seasonal driver for the holidays, as well as for two or three months in the summer. I'd be paying the initiation fee, which is fine with me. Can someone please tell me how I'd be covered under the contract (or not), assuming I get through my 30 day probation without a problem?

Thank you.

cb1969

First, if you are not a regular employee with UPS you are still covered by the CBA. Second, I believe if not a reg employee you have to get your 30 days in before you can join. Third, if you are a pt employee now, your dues are based on your pt job and there is no initiation fee for pt members.

MassWineGuy

Thank you, everyone, for this good information. I guess I'd be a full time seasonal employee. We were told that the initiation fee will come out of our first 10 checks. Maybe that starts after the 30 days.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
You get the right to run 3 plus hours over every day. What can they do, fire you? We got temps going out with small splits that would take any regular driver 6 hours to bang off. They are getting it off in 9. This is gravy work too. Way to go!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Thank you, everyone, for this good information. I guess I'd be a full time seasonal employee. We were told that the initiation fee will come out of our first 10 checks. Maybe that starts after the 30 days.
The initiation should be deducted immediately. When you're let go after the free period (most likely), you can recover the init. fees if that interests you.

opie

You get the right to run 3 plus hours over every day. What can they do, fire you? We got temps going out with small splits that would take any regular driver 6 hours to bang off. They are getting it off in 9. This is gravy work too. Way to go!

It figures because they can pay them less, and not pay for their benefits/pension. They just sent 4 part-timers back to PT at my building. Cheaper to use casuals.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
You will have to be a bit more specific as to your location. Rules vary by region and state. Right to work states are very different than closed shop states. Here in a right to work state you never become a Union member as a seasonal and have no contractual rights other than the pay. As far as I am concerned seasonals here are SCABS!!

MassWineGuy

You will have to be a bit more specific as to your location. Rules vary by region and state. Right to work states are very different than closed shop states. Here in a right to work state you never become a Union member as a seasonal and have no contractual rights other than the pay. As far as I am concerned seasonals here are SCABS!!

I'd be working out of Lynnfield, Massachusetts.

Don't be so hard on those who need seasonal work. Is it that they can't join the union even if they want to, or that most can and do choose not to join? Certainly, as a seasonal driver's helper I wasn't able to join. Now as a seasonal driver I've got to join, which is ok with me. I'm still unclear about the initiation fee. If I last until Jan. 15th, the layoff date UPS gave me, I can get the money back? How? Haven't heard of that. Of course, if I end up loving the job, I'll leave the money where it is and drive again in the summer.

upschuck

Assuming you do not work at UPS part time, get a withdrawal card from the union after the seasonal period, that way your initiation fees will be credited to you upon further employment with any teamster company. Good luck