CASUAL DRIVERS NY

S

screwed

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHY CASUAL DRIVERS HAVE NOT GOT A PAY RAISE IN 6 YEARS AND DO THE SAME WORK AS FULL TIMER'S, NO VAC PAY, 8 YEARS DOING THE SAME CRAP AND WE GET #####ED! WHAT A GREAT UNION!!!!

F

fups

what the hell is a CASUAL DRIVERS???? not sure of that one..... is it true in other regions and other parts of united states that drivers under their contract can wear GO T's .... facial hair??? if so That sucks bad

F

feeder

First of all, casual drivers' are like ghosts in the feeder dept. They make 75% of top rate(in my local), they get NO Vacation time, NO Personal days and NO Sick days. Second, they dont get any medical benefits(eye,dental and prescription), no contribution to the pension plan, but, they have to pay union dues. They fill in when needed and they are always on call!
And finally, I view casual drivers as workers who are trying to become full-timers by using the "back door tactic", by flashing a CDL. I personally believe by paying your dues by: starting part-time(unloading or loading trailers) then advance to full time.. I just dont belive handing some casual driver a $75,000 job without paying your dues, and for this reason, I have no sympathy for them!!!

K

kidlogic

The Union doesnt want Casual drivers at all. UPS wants them. I agree with feeder that it is part of paying your dues trying to take the fast track to the top. I wonder if Screwed had to unload feeders for 5 years and juggle another job at the sametime like the rest of us insiders had to do if he would still be there. Blaming the union because UPS has taken advantage of you for 8 years instead of hiring you is weak. This is the reason why the union doesnt like the casual driver because of the way UPS will string them along as long as they can so they dont have to pay them as much.

U

ups_vette

From my experience, CASUAL feeder drivers are just that, casual. Typically they are men/women who have a CDL and have other full time employment, who fill in when there is an absentee unabeled to be covered by a UPS empoyee. These casuals are people such as policemen, firemen, or others, looking to supplement their income. The vast majority of then are not seeking full time employment with UPS, although there are those who are.

K

kidlogic

Vette can you explain if that is the policy why Screwed has been doing this a full time job for 8 years. I know before the language was changed in the contract on drivers we had 3 guys in a center of 24 who were strung along for 4 years.

U

ups_vette

kid:
You see to be reading into what screwed has posted. Nowhere in the post was it indicated he,or she, worked full time for eight years and received no benifits. He,or she, posted that he, or she, does the SAME WORK as a full time union employee WHEN working.
As I'm sure you know, there are certain criterior required for a person to gain seniority, such as working 30 days in a 90 day period, performing new work, working during peak season, etc.
I personally know of a teacher who, during his summer vacation, worked covering vacations in a small center for many years.
I don't know screweds situation, and I don't believe you do either.