Casual package driver?

I've heard different terms being used for drivers. Is a casual package driver a full time employee or just seasonal help? Do casual drivers get 40 hours or are they part time.

Thanks in advance. Just want to clear some confusion.

UPS4Life

I've never been in package but in feeders a casual is an employee that works as needed. May be 60 hours a week, may be 10 hours Monday and you don't hear back for a week. They do go by seniority and if called are guaranteed 8 hrs but not guaranteed a phone call every day. Just trying to shed some light if anyone knows the package car side of it feel free to chim in.

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I've never been in package but in feeders a casual is an employee that works as needed. May be 60 hours a week, may be 10 hours Monday and you don't hear back for a week. They do go by seniority and if called are guaranteed 8 hrs but not guaranteed a phone call every day. Just trying to shed some light if anyone knows the package car side of it feel free to chim in.

It works the same way on the package side.

UPSGUY72

I've heard different terms being used for drivers. Is a casual package driver a full time employee or just seasonal help? Do casual drivers get 40 hours or are they part time.

Thanks in advance. Just want to clear some confusion.

When you work it will be 8 or more a day. But as a casual your not guaranteed any hours. You could work everyday one week and none the next. In most cases you will be working most days if you want a better chance of working every day they you need to be producing hood numbers.

As a ft regular driver don't really care about there numbers as the union doesn't recognize them and if you can take be harassed by management its not a big deal. As a casual since your basically working at will you need to produce or you could find yourself not working.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
In my area Casuals are temps. After December 25 services are no longer needed...Good Day!

PT Car Washer

Along with driver helpers. Has to be the two worst jobs during peak. At least seasonal package handlers have a chance of being hired on permanent after peak.