Casual/seasonal driver to preload question/s

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Hello all,
I was reading bsbmc's post regarding working out of the free period and it is now making me ask the question regarding my situation. I have been all over this site looking for answers and have not found any so here goes.
First my background info.
I work in the metro jersey area, i started as a casual/seasonal driver ( I guess depending where you work) in July. I worked from July to December 30th, I drove 32 days between the september 8th pay period and October 27th. I was laid off on december 30th, two weeks later I received a call from HR and asked if i would come back to preload, at first i said no, then they offered me sat air driving and decided to do it so I have been working since Jan 16th, that is when my employment as per HR says started
Question, since i worked straight through with no layoff as a driver in September and October, did I in reality make my 30 days as a driver and should I file a grievance? I also noticed in one of the supplements, that if you worked as a casual/seasonal and are brought back within a certain time, your seniority dates back to when you first started, so if the answer to the above question is no, can I or should I fight to have my company seniority backdated to when I started in July? Any help would be appreciated and I do apologize for the long post
Thanks

UPSGUY72

Hello all,
I was reading bsbmc's post regarding working out of the free period and it is now making me ask the question regarding my situation. I have been all over this site looking for answers and have not found any so here goes.
I work in the metro jersey area, i started as a casual/seasonal driver ( I guess depending where you work) in July. I worked from July to December 30th, I drove 32 days between the september 8th pay period and October 27th. I was laid off on december 30th, two weeks later I received a call from HR and asked if i would come back to preload, at first i said no, then they offered me sat air driving and decided to do it so I have been working since Jan 16th, that is when my employment as per HR says started
Question, since i worked straight through with no layoff as a driver in September and October, did I in reality make my 30 days as a driver and should I file a grievance? I also noticed in one of the supplements, that if you worked as a casual/seasonal and are brought back within a certain time, your seniority dates back to when you first started, so if the answer to the above question is no, can I or should I fight to have my company seniority backdated to when I started in July? Any help would be appreciated and I do apologize for the long post
Thanks

Why don't you run your situation by a steward (preferably one that drives) in your building they would be able to help you better.

P

pickup

Hello all,
I work in the metro jersey area, i started as a casual/seasonal driver ( I guess depending where you work) in July. I worked from July to December 30th, I drove 32 days between the september 8th pay period and October 27th. I was laid off on december 30th, two weeks later I received a call from HR and asked if i would come back to preload, at first i said no, then they offered me sat air driving and decided to do it so I have

I believe all time between Oct 15 through the last day of December is considered the free period during which days worked do not count towards making your "30 days". You got 32 days from memorial day( before memorial day, working days is also a free period, right?) up till October 27th.

I don't know why you chose to mention Oct. 27th in your post because it is not the important date. October 15th is the important date(well actually, the 14th really is). Did you get 30 days in from the date after memorial day and up to and including Oct. 14? I don't think that was possible in 2011.

Scotty, I don't think you got your thirty days in before the free period started again.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You don't have to get them in in between once you work one day past season all your previous days go towards your 30. You should be a driver file. We just had someone hired for this very reason.

P

pickup

Hmm, Scotty, I stand by what I wrote above, but the question to me is since they brought you back with in 60 days, that time you accrued between memorial day and oct 15 still stands and counts towards your book. But you weren't brought back at the same classification. But you did air driving. Hmmm . This is where I am confused. My question is did you add to the days in your "book" as an air driver or even on the preload?

I am not qualified to answer that question.

Scottyhawk

I just picked the date since it was closest to the 31st of October, i have been getting conflicting information regarding when the free period starts and ends. I started driving the last week of July and drove almost everyday up until the end of December. There were 2 weeks i drove only 3 days, one week where I only drove 2 days, but every other week i drove either 4 or 5 days during the week. I started air driving in January and did not count that at all

P

pickup

Scotty , after thinking about it a bit more , here's the way I look at it. You worked two free periods that sandwiched a period that counted towards the book. Even if you had worked straight from the day after memorial day, which would be a tuesday straight through Oct 14.( 5 five day work weeks, and one four day work week), that would have given you 29 days towards your book. If that were your case(which it wasn't because you didn't work every work day), then if you had just worked one more day in january as a regular driver (no more free period), you would have had your 30 days.

Now based on what you told us, you didn't have 29 days but a bit less, not that it makes a difference in this case as a miss is a miss. You are now working as a driver in a different classification than the one you were in as a seasonal driver so that time doesn't count towards the job you want.

In your last post, you have the 31st of October listed now as a date to consider. The real date that counts is when the free period started which was Oct 15.

Just my opinion, but I am pretty sure of that Oct 15 date. If the shop steward you are talking to doesn't know how to answer you, talk to another one or find a driver that came in as a seasonal and became a regular. He might be able to enlighten you and hopefully contradict what I am saying. Remember, there are also lot of ex stewards floating around that know their stuff.

Scottyhawk

Pickup, thanks for the responses.
I have spoken to a few of the drivers and they were all surprised that I was not kept on as a driver.

P

pickup

Pickup, thanks for the responses.
I have spoken to a few of the drivers and they were all surprised that I was not kept on as a driver.

I don't know if they kept other casuals(who may have not done as well as you) and didn't keep you and if that is your case, you have my sympathy. Sometimes there are apparent reasons for this and sometimes not.

If they did keep on others and not you ,it might be as simple as this: you stay a driver and some preload manager loses a good worker(you) permanently. If they hire another competent casual who had no connection to UPS before, they gain a driver, no loss to any other department.

Scottyhawk

So now a new twist to my employment with UPS, 3 weeks ago the center manager calls me and asks if I want to change my hours and do pm air driving? I am like sure. HR sends me an email to fill out yet a third application and then I went to the airport for fingerprinting and background check to get an airport access card which I received last week. My understanding was that I was going to do the air driving for 2 weeks, today I will be driving my 4th week.
in your opinion to anyone who would like to answer, any chance that this will be a permanent thing?

The issue I am also having and again only looking for opinions because I am making the request today is that I have a family wedding to go to on Friday and will need off. I made a comment to two sups a couple of weeks ago about the wedding because I put in a request for Saturday off the sat air driving job, not thinking I would still be doing pm air driving, but back in preload where I would not have needed Friday off? Do you think they will give me a problem to get Friday night off, and/or if they were going to keep me in the pm air job not offer it to me.

Thanks in advance for your opinions

Indecisi0n

Page 19: You must work back to back casual periods May-Oct then Nov-Dec. If the company calls you back before April 1st then you gain instant seniority and keep your original hire date. If you are hired after April 1st then you go through progression like you are brand new.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Page 19: You must work back to back casual periods May-Oct then Nov-Dec. If the company calls you back before April 1st then you gain instant seniority and keep your original hire date. If you are hired after April 1st then you go through progression like you are brand new.
I didn't know that. Huh.

Scottyhawk

I have seen that, and no one in the building can tell me if I am called back before April does it have to be the same position or any position to get my hiring date of july

Indecisi0n

Like Meno mentioned i don't believe the positions matters. Only requirements are as stated: Work 2 back to back casual periods and get called back prior to April 1st.