Caught on camera: UPS Driver kicks dog.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
You're absolutely wrong. And going off just the video, the other guy DID NOT engage first. That's your self defense arguments done right there. I know a lot about this stuff
In the police academy I learned how to defend myself without looking threatening/prepared. As an example, if you hold your fists up in front of you or stand in a forward stance expecting an attack you're telegraphing that and you look aggressive.
They teach you to hold your hands up in front you in that situation and to play with a wedding ring on the opposite hand. That way if you have to put your guard up, it's essentially already there. They actually told us if you're not married, get a ring to spin around on your finger.

rod

Retired 22 years
To add more... Me personally I would not have kicked that dog nor have I ever had to. I have a "killer" pitbull my self who looks like she will kill you but she wouldn't harm a fly. Any dog not big enough to do serious harm to me isn't worth kicking or hitting I would prefer to get nipped than to kick a little dog just tryna say hi. But I'm a dog lover to the extreme and Im open minded enough to know most people... More so ups drivers are scared of any dog

After you've been bit 2 or 3 times bad enough to require you to visit a doctor for a tetnus shot --then come back and post the same thing. Personally I got fed up with being bit by dogs who "wouldn't hurt a fly" .

rod

Retired 22 years
In the police academy I learned how to defend myself without looking threatening/prepared. As an example, if you hold your fists up in front of you or stand in a forward stance expecting an attack you're telegraphing that and you look aggressive.
They teach you to hold your hands up in front you in that situation and to play with a wedding ring on the opposite hand. That way if you have to put your guard up, it's essentially already there. They actually told us if you're not married, get a ring to spin around on your finger.

Faceplanted

After you've been bit 2 or 3 times bad enough to require you to visit a doctor for a tetnus shot --then come back and post the same thing. Personally I got fed up with being bit by dogs who "wouldn't hurt a fly" .
I agree. But 10 years Of driving I got bit once by a little mini pincher who I didn't see till it was on me. Not to be on that dog whisperer stuff, but u portray to the dog that you are the boss and they back down 99% of time. I read their body language a lot and it has kept me safe. I have been in 2/3 bad situations and I ran at the dog snd screaming waving my hands and was able to back away slowly to the pc. If you don't understand their body language you WILL get bit. Dogs can read your energy more than you can understand. I might get bit tomorrow but like i said I love all dogs and I try to read them as best I can before putting my self in a situation where I have to harm a dog just trying to say hi. Sounds ignorant and stupid but any dog not over 45/50lb is not a threat to me. I would rather try everything besides a kick to defuse the situation. Not to sound dumb but at the end of the day a bite is a paycheck from the owner it it's really that bad. A check worth more than my pain. Growing up with amstaffs/American Pitt terriors you learn to give them respect but try not to show fear. I can guarantee you my pit will never bite anbody unless she senses negative energy from a person or I tell her. im sure she would bite of somebody came with the wrong energy. I disagree wirh treats too. It actually gets them excited imho when what you want is a calm dog who respects you.

People are diff with dogs and I totally understand. I use an approach that has kept me safe from dope boy killer dogs and some mean looking stays. I Actually found a mean looking american bulldog last week who got fostered by one of the apt maitnance guys after I got him to take the dog to the office and figure something out. When swing driving tons of customers were amazed how I handled their "killer" looking shepherds, dobermans and pitts. Respect in life goes a real long way even with dogs

If u get bit once and let it change your outlook you WILL get bit again. Kinda like getting stuck by lightning

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
I agree. But 10 years Of driving I got bit once by a little mini pincher who I didn't see till it was on me. Not to be on that dog whisperer stuff, but u portray to the dog that you are the boss and they back down 99% of time. I read their body language a lot and it has kept me safe. I have been in 2/3 bad situations and I ran at the dog snd screaming waving my hands and was able to back away slowly to the pc. If you don't understand their body language you WILL get bit. Dogs can read your energy more than you can understand. I might get bit tomorrow but like i said I love all dogs and I try to read them as best I can before putting my self in a situation where I have to harm a dog just trying to say hi. Sounds ignorant and stupid but any dog not over 45/50lb is not a threat to me. I would rather try everything besides a kick to defuse the situation. Not to sound dumb but at the end of the day a bite is a paycheck from the owner it it's really that bad. A check worth more than my pain. Growing up with amstaffs/American Pitt terriors you learn to give them respect but try not to show fear. I can guarantee you my pit will never bite anbody unless she senses negative energy from a person or I tell her. im sure she would bite of somebody came with the wrong energy. I disagree wirh treats too. It actually gets them excited imho when what you want is a calm dog who respects you.

People are diff with dogs and I totally understand. I use an approach that has kept me safe from dope boy killer dogs and some mean looking stays. I Actually found a mean looking american bulldog last week who got fostered by one of the apt maitnance guys after I got him to take the dog to the office and figure something out.

I really hope your way of dealing with dogs works out for you. I would warn you though that all dogs will bite given the right or wrong situation. Just ask my brother-in-laws insurance company after his "wouldn't hurt a fly" dog bit a little girls face when she tried to kiss it. I had warned him before that his dog was wacko after seeing how it went beserk every time the door bell rang. At his meetings with the lawyers he argued that the little girl was at fault for moving in on his mutt the way she did. The other side argued that according to city laws he must be in control of his animal at all times. Guess whos side won.

wayfair

swollen member
Ok glasshouse. Hi pot, meet kettle.
We are both "ups drivers". The difference between you and I though are vast after that. I actually still graduated college while I'm wondering if you even made it through high school.

This is getting old with you. Time to move on princess.
so what , you wasted your parents money, who gives a sheet. Got the job in college so stfu...

MendozaJ

Can we at least agree on a few things about Ponytail after reading this small excerpt from an article on the incident and watching the video:

“As I went to retrieve the dog, the driver then hit me in the chest, dislocating my rib from my solar plexus and re-breaking one of my ribs,” Paulsen said. “This assault was completely unprovoked. The driver threatened to kick me as I tried to calm the situation down.”

After the residents went to bed, Paulsen called the Atascadero Police Department.

1. Those are the most poorly trained, undisciplined "service dogs" in history.

2. He made no attempt to retrieve the dog.

3. He did not seek medical attention, at least not within a time frame that a person claiming such injuries normally would.

4. He's full of it.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
so what , you wasted your parents money, who gives a sheet. Got the job in college so stfu...
Getting an education is never a "waste". It's always a valuable thing to have regardless of what you do in life.

There's always the alternative. I could of not have received an education and ended up a clueless :censored2: like you.

Life is all choices. Although I'm betting you being stupid is more just genetic rather than a choice for you.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I'm sorry.....what?
Getting an education is never a "waste". It's always a valuable thing to have regardless of what you do in life.

There's always the alternative. I could not have received an education and ended up a clueless :censored2: like you.

Life is all choices. Although I'm betting you being stupid is more just genetic rather than a choice for you.

It's called auto correct in the app. I fixed it for you Dave.

Do you still need further explanation?

Areyoukiddinme

best 2 weeks ever
jeez, someone is gonna have a bad day. ABC news says its a service dog and it happened at an assisted living home. if the driver would have jumped at the dog the way he jumped at its handler it may have ran away.

Areyoukiddinme

best 2 weeks ever
we don't know what happened before the video but since the driver left the back door open(oops) he could have stepped inside instead it appears the driver waited for the dog to get close enough to kick

Orion inc.

I like turtles
that went way over your head genius.
No actually it didn't. I was pointing out that if someone is going to shoot you, you'll have very little time to react.

And if someone runs up to you going to attack with whatever, a push or shove is the last thing you should do in that situation. It puts you in a bad body position to react and could leave you off balance.

Plus if the attacker isn't affected by the push, it might put them in a better position for a second attack attempt tactically.

And usually 99% of the time when someone is attacking you, it's never one on one. They usually have friends or such who join in and 2-3 people versus you changes the whole dynamic. And many times those people will be armed with some type of weapon and they'll try to get you down on the ground. And once you're on the ground in that type of scenario, you're pretty much dead
That's my experience in this type of situations.

So no it didn't go over my head. But if you would like to clarify more, I'd love to hear your point of view.

Last edited:

porkwagon

If this driver has not been a problem and his pittsburg (sp) is thin, verbal warning is enough discipline for the driver in my opinion.