Caught on camera: UPS Driver kicks dog.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
And as someone who's studied Aikido and other Japanese martial arts for 20 years, this was just handled poorly from a conflict resolution standpoint. The body language suggests aggression and escalation on the drivers part. If someone is coming to hit you, stepping back and not projecting makes it less likely the aggressive one will engage.

clean hairy

What would reaction be if the pooch had run up on the driver and got ahold of his leg?
Then the Owner grabs the dog and yanks him off the drivers leg causing serious injury and time off work due to the owners negligance?
The driver reacts in a manner to minimize this happening, and he is being raked over the coals.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Sorry, p tmer, I asked years ago about self defense... and that's what we see here

Self defense isn't hitting first. You step back if the aggressor has a raised fist. Give him plenty of room so if you do engage him after HE throws the first punch, you can control his attack and keep him neutralized by pinning him etc etc.

The driver pushed first and proceeded to step forward towards the aggressor. At that point he became the aggressor and the self defense arguments are void

There are ways for conflict resolution other than pushing first. He was wrong and that is not what is seen here by people with training and an eye for this stuff

Orion inc.

I like turtles
What would reaction be if the pooch had run up on the driver and got ahold of his leg?
Then the Owner grabs the dog and yanks him off the drivers leg causing serious injury and time off work due to the owners negligance?
The driver reacts in a manner to minimize this happening, and he is being raked over the coals.
The dog didn't approach threatening IMO. The driver handled this poorly. There's ways to react in situations like this and he didn't. He looked stressed and probably was having a bad day or something and lost focus.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
I usually let the little dogs bite me before i punt them or crack them with the diad. A bloody bite mark negates the customer complaint that soon follows. That being said the driver is acting way too aggressive, look at his body language, he is done

Browndriver5

Don't you love the customers that say "Oh he's fine he wont bite no one." As the dog is barking and wont let you out of the truck. I hate dogs and people who cant control them

Orion inc.

I like turtles
So your just gonna stand there and get you arse kicked
That's what I figured
Go ahead and throw the the first punch or push and when you're out of a job, FedEx ground hires fighters like that.

Seriously acting tough while at your job and following through like this guy will get you fired. There's ways to de escalate a situation. You might want to learn them. It sounds like you would be like this guy. Unemployed

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Sorry, some dude runs up to me with a raised fist.... I'm not waiting for him to strike first!

You would be an idiot if you did.

Not true. So you'd attack someone who has an aggressive posture and a raised fist but hasn't engaged you or swung? Guess what? That's assault on your part and you're out a $100,000/year job. That's a fact. And the other guy could sue you also after. That's another fact.

You have two options in a conflict, fight or flight. And what if you push this guy first and he's armed with a knife or gun and now you're dead? You have to assume the other person is armed in a conflict and you might want to take the tough guy emotion out of the your decision making process in this scenario.

Best case is to carefully walk away with situational awareness on the other. Leave and notify management or law enforcement.

Or just show how tough you are instead and you will be unemployed

clean hairy

How do we know this Driver had not been bit however many times in the past, and seeing this pooch running towards him he mighta been thinking "Hail no! NOT again!" and this was his reaction.
Again, though, if this Owner had complied with the law and had Poochie Poo restrained on a leash, this would not have been an issue.

MendozaJ

Not true. So you'd attack someone who has an aggressive posture and a raised fist but hasn't engaged you or swung? Guess what? That's assault on your part and you're out a $100,000/year job. That's a fact. And the other guy could sue you also after. That's another fact.

Here's the only fact that matters: The guy still has his job.