CDO Stupidity

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I can't go into specifics, but I'm aware of several CDO packages at my station today that probably cost $300 to attempt, all for nothing, because they came back as Code 8's. This pattern is undoubtedly being repeated everywhere else. Send out a couple of couriers for a handful of packages, and lose money on probably every single transaction. Not very cost-effective. Our upper management is increasingly moronic with every passing day. I wonder what the next brilliant idea will be?

vantexan

I think the day will come when all Express pkgs will be held for pickup at a Ground office with only Ground being delivered. If a customer wants to ship Express they have to drop it off at the same office unless they are a volume shipper. Our greatly reduced courier force would still pick up big shippers and man the Express pick up/drop off side of the Ground facility. Express pkgs could still be delivered by a Ground guy for an extra charge. The company would be flying Lear jets. Think of the profits!!

whenIgetthere

We had to sign a letter stating it is now a violation of P 2-5 to not reattempt a business DEX08 same day. I spoke up in the meeting, asked my SM if this was going to be part of the 1.7b in cuts, because any maroon can tell it is going to cost millions daily, company wide to do this. Perfect example, on a route yesterday I've bever done before, get to my first P2 at 1205, didn't know they close at noon on friday, even though sign on door said open M-friend 8-5, so it was a DEX08. I had to backtrack 20 miles later (while on OT of course, and an express saver to boot) to reattempt. Maybe if Fedex hadn't shot themselves in the foot by declaring business DEX08's against service, we wouldn't have to deal with this BS. As someone stated before here, spend a dollar to save a dime.

Nolimitz

We had to sign a letter stating it is now a violation of P 2-5 to not reattempt a business DEX08 same day. I spoke up in the meeting, asked my SM if this was going to be part of the 1.7b in cuts, because any maroon can tell it is going to cost millions daily, company wide to do this. Perfect example, on a route yesterday I've bever done before, get to my first P2 at 1205, didn't know they close at noon on friday, even though sign on door said open M-friend 8-5, so it was a DEX08. I had to backtrack 20 miles later (while on OT of course, and an express saver to boot) to reattempt. Maybe if Fedex hadn't shot themselves in the foot by declaring business DEX08's against service, we wouldn't have to deal with this BS. As someone stated before here, spend a dollar to save a dime.

Lately I have been getting an "Outback Steak house" added to my west end ( thanks to DRA) that has posted hours that are so lame that the only time to del is after 2pm Mon thur Fri. I have explained this to my mgr and the eng. and I can never del it cause my pup rte is on the other side of town... Fri I had to leave it at an Fdx auth shipper so a PT pu driver could del (after 2 attempts)

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Perfect example, on a route yesterday I've never done before, get to my first P2 at 1205, didn't know they close at noon on friday, even though sign on door said open M-friend 8-5, so it was a DEX08.

If that were me, and I had never done that rte. before, that would have been a resi. del. with an "unsecure location" dex.

DontThrowPackages

Just do what they ask. You're still getting paid to travel the 40 miles(there and back). Sounds like a nice day.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Lately I have been getting an "Outback Steak house" added to my west end ( thanks to DRA) that has posted hours that are so lame that the only time to del is after 2pm Mon thur Fri. I have explained this to my mgr and the eng. and I can never del it cause my pup rte is on the other side of town... Fri I had to leave it at an Fdx auth shipper so a PT pu driver could del (after 2 attempts)

There are many businesses that only take deliveries during specific hours or have weird hours. Restaurants and theaters immediately come to mind. I simply "work as directed", so even if I know the theater opens at noon, I'll make my first attempt at 0915 or so. On the pickup cycle, it's totally out of the way, and it easily kills 25 minutes in traffic to get there and make the required reattempt. I simply send a message to Dispatch requesting that pickups be removed so I can perform a reattempt per policy. Otherwise, I will "not make the CTV" departure and will have to drive to the ramp.

Do it their way, even if it's totally stupid. Be like MT3...a maroon, and see where it gets them. Dumb effers.

hypo hanna

Why tell your managers and engineers of the potential problem with that policy? Those are the big brains of the enterprise. You are not paid to think. Work as directed and leave the problem solving to the experts. ;)

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Why tell your managers and engineers of the potential problem with that policy? Those are the big brains of the enterprise. You are not paid to think. Work as directed and leave the problem solving to the experts. ;)

You truly get it. Bravo Zulu!! As long as you just do it "their way", it's all good because when it turns to poo, you're off the hook. Always work as directed and put the onus back on management where it belongs. They make the dumb policies, so let them figure out how to make them work.

hypo hanna

Keep in mind when it turns to poo its every one for themselves. If they can deflect blame and hang it on a driver, CSA, dispatcher or fellow manager, they will.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Keep in mind when it turns to poo its every one for themselves. If they can deflect blame and hang it on a driver, CSA, dispatcher or fellow manager, they will.

This is true, but as long as you can prove you were simply working as directed, the poo sticks to them, not you. It always makes me happy to say "I'm just doing what you told me to do", and then watch them struggle to spin the feces into gold.