Cell phones instead of IVIS in tractors

tireknocker

Heard today that cell phones will be used in tractors. You will punch in and out on them, sign off (DVIR) and trailers.
Coming before peak!!

P

pickup

Heard today that cell phones will be used in tractors. You will punch in and out on them, sign off (DVIR) and trailers.
Coming before peak!!

Please elaborate if you can. Will the cell phone capabilities of the ivis be activated? As for the dvirs, many other companies such as Schneider already use the onboard computer for them. I look forward to such a capability as the red tags will now be in the system and a trailer and/or tractor won't be dispatched until the written problem is addressed.

We have a few dispatchers and a manager who like to walk out to the tractor parking area and rip off the last page of the dvir off of the tractors they feel don't have problems even though they were written up. Not surprisingly , this seems to happen when tractors are needed.

Hopefully they won't be able to do the same thing with a computer key but if they can, hopefully there will be a record of the editing.

trickpony1

They have GPS tracking on the IVIS currently in use. How much more accurately do they have to track us?

"Oh, trickster, we did a GPS study and observed you drift across the solid white line on the shoulder.".

I can't even imagine the money the company has pissed away on different IVIS systems, 3 so far, and now a fourth.

P

pickup

Maybe they are trying to slowly kill all the feeder drivers with the increased exposure to radiation?

They have already been doing that by having the transmitting and receiving antenna installed 2 and a half feet away from the head of the driver as opposed to installing the antenna outside on the far corner(as they did in the past.)

This new practice saves on time and wiring but I don't like it.

trickpony1

pickup-
The new system may have a DVIR and CCR function but I'm guessing it won't be activated or, if it is, automotive will find a way to skirt it.

We can't keep roadworthy trailers on property as it is due to red tag trailers. Peak is gonna be even more fun if this system is activated.

trickpony1

They have already been doing that by having the transmitting and receiving antenna installed 2 and a half feet away from the head of the driver as opposed to installing the antenna outside on the far corner(as they did in the past.)

This new practices saves on time and wiring but I don't like it.

....and when statistically significant numbers of feeder drivers mysteriously succumb to brain cancer, years from now, it will be a complete mystery as to why.

P

pickup

....and when statistically significant numbers of feeder drivers mysteriously succumb to brain cancer, years from now, it will be a complete mystery as to why.

If it does happen in that fashion, many of those drivers would have themselves to blame as an increasing number(especially the younger drivers) put their wireless blue tooth earpieces in their ears when they wake up and take them out when they go to sleep.

They use these ear pieces for phone calls and streaming music but it transmits as well as receives and it does so omnidirectionally not uni directionally in the direction of the smartphone.

The intensity of the radiation increases by the square of the distance reduced between transmitter and target(smartphone or brain tissue, the radiation does not discriminate) And brain tissue has water in it and hence the equivalent of a microwave oven.

So on the whole, we drivers are screwing ourselves with regards to radiation exposure way more than the company is.

The solution in regards to this problem is to use a ear piece with a wire to the cellphone thus keeping your brain far from the transmitter.