Cellphone and Bluetooth?

Sspuds224

So our new center manager is really tripping. We as package drivers can't wear Bluetooth and are being told that we must leave our phones in the back of our trucks. Is there a true policy via UPS? Or is this the after peak flavor of the month?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Does it matter. Leave the phone in the back. Don't answer for anyone including them. Just smile and say ok. You'll make much more money communicating thru the diad.

its a good thing...when they ask you to call the center..say i cant or I wont...my phone is in the back of the truck..and im in the front of the truck...and I dont want to mess up my SPHOR by picking up the phone and calling your sorry BUTT!!!thats what DIADS are for...P.S. Im on the DO NOT CALL LIST...LOL

barnyard

KTM rider
Work as directed.

Why do you need to have an earpiece in while you are driving????? Do you really have that many important calls that you cannot miss????

I have been putting my phone in my lunchbox. The peace and quiet is wonderful.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My phone is clipped to my drink holder throughout the day. I am an infrequent cell phone user but do carry it "just in case". I have lost count as to how many accidents I have called in to our local police.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I leave mine in the hazmat pouch in the cab so I can get to it if I need it. I will seldom call the center on my phone, you want something from me, send a message.

upsmanclt

I leave my cell phone in my personal vehicle. I was falsely accused of taking pictures of a working part time supervisor during Christmas, so I no longer bring it into the building. I never used it to communicate with the center. I did like checking my email and random tweeting while walking off long driveways. To the OP, no cells phones in cabs and no bluetooth is the undisciplined rule here. I say undisciplined, you will see drivers, mostly safety club members, walking around with bluetooth stuck to their head like something from a sixties Star Trek episode.

stink219

To and from building is one thing. But I carry mine at all times. Family may need to contact me in an emergency. You know how many times I need to talk my grandfather through switching the VCR to Cable? Some days it takes a second lunch.

Indecisi0n

Does it matter. Leave the phone in the back. Don't answer for anyone including them. Just smile and say ok. You'll make much more money communicating thru the diad.

Agree. And when they send a message to call the office send back "I will go find a public phone and get back to you in Xxx time."

bluehdmc

Agree. And when they send a message to call the office send back "I will go find a public phone and get back to you in Xxx time."

Then go try to find one. I think the only places they can be found are outside inner city convience stores where they sell calling cards so "undocumented" workers can call home.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
In feeders, the DOT says you need a bluetooth or else you risk a $2750 fine if you have a phone on your ear.

over9five

Staff member
In feeders, the DOT says you need a bluetooth or else you risk a $2750 fine if you have a phone on your ear.
Yup, seems it would apply to Package drivers as well. (It can be bluetooth or a wired earpiece). You can't even reach for your cell OR dial it. You have to be able to use a push to talk feature.

As for the OP, I believe the contract says we can use cellphones provided we abide by the law. Can't find my contract book, so I'm hoping someone can quote it for me.

Last edited:

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
or you could just not use a cell phone while driving.

We don't play these kinds of games in Feeders. If Dispatch needs you to reroute to a hot pull, they call you. Pulling off to use a cell phone, pay phone, or the IVIS can mean a 20 minute delay once you get off the highway and find a place to park.
Also, cell phone use is encouraged for drivers to talk to each other instead of standing around in the yard. Talking to someone is a great way to stay awake on those long drives. We keep each other informed of accidents and traffic delays too, and many times the buildings we are dropping at are all locked up so no phone is available.

If you center wants to enforce this rule then just stop using the phone all together and call them 1-800-COLLECT ever time you need to. A little solidarity will fix this nonsense.

over9five

Staff member
So our new center manager is really tripping. We as package drivers can't wear Bluetooth and are being told that we must leave our phones in the back of our trucks. Is there a true policy via UPS? Or is this the after peak flavor of the month?
Article 18:

"Applicable laws regarding the use of cell phones while driving will be followed by all employees while driving company vehicles. The use of cell phones by other employees will be with the approval of the Employer."

Your center manager is tripping.

over9five

Staff member
Your center manager is tripping.
Maybe that was a little harsh. Your center manager is trying to reduce accidents, he's just trying to do that by walking all over the contract.

REMEMBER, the law says you can't touch your phone while you're behind the wheel. You MUST use voice dialing, and answer the phone with one touch to your earpiece.

ALSO, I don't know if your STATE has tougher rules than the DOT. In that case, you'd probably have to follow the state rules.