Cellular Device as GPS

You've Got Mail

If you can memorize 16 turns after looking at a map for all of 30 seconds on a blind route, you are too smart to be working for UPS.

Maybe I smoked too much weed in my day, but if you give me 16 turns in an area I've never been to before, I guarantee I'll forget everything after the 4th or 5th turn.

Last edited:
T

Turdferguson

If you can memorize 16 turns after looking at a map for all of 30 seconds on a blind route, you are too smart to be working for UPS.

Maybe I smoked too much weed in my day, but if you give me 16 turns, I guarantee I'll forget everything after the 3rd or 4th turn.

I've heard that before, but conversely if you can't maybe you shouldn't be driving?

You've Got Mail

I've heard that before, but conversely if you can't maybe you shouldn't be driving?

I don't recall being asked if I can memorize a ridiculous amount of directions at the interview. My phone got me through peak just fine. Never needed a paper map. My sup broke out the map sometimes. I'd be in the jumper seat with the directions already up on my phone and he'd still be looking up where to go.

T

Turdferguson

I don't recall being asked if I can memorize a ridiculous amount of directions at the interview. My phone got me through peak just fine. Never needed a paper map. My sup broke out the map sometimes. I'd be in the jumper seat with the directions already up on my phone and he'd still be looking up where to go.
Are you sure you remember correctly? You seem to have difficulty memorizing or remembering things.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Of course there is another way. It is called using a paper map.
How am I going to snapchat with a paper map though?
How old are you guys? Paper maps aren't the quickest or easiest way to get where you're going anymore.
I'm 23 years old. Paper maps > Phone apps any day. The problem these days is nobody ever uses a paper map so they don't know how to use them. Too many people are used to plugging stuff in their phone/gps and tada! Directions.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I have memorized every route I have ever learned. I use a paper map for areas that I can but not everything is on the paper map. I do have Google on standby just in case but now that I've been on this route for 6 months I rarely ever need it unless something comes up that I'm not too familiar with.

I also have a suction cup mount for my phone to attach it to my windshield for easy visibility. It's mounted there all day next to my camera/tv. That also makes it easier to see who is calling or texting me while I am driving without physically having to touch my device if not necessary.

mjjlohn

Phone is much faster/better than a map nowadays.

When running blind just run a few streets at a time. A paper map can't tell where number ranges to a street are or which side is even, and knowing those things before you get on the street is huge.

Also a phone will pinpoint disjointed street number ranges and one way streets a paper map probably won't.

oldngray

nowhere special
Phone is much faster/better than a map nowadays.

When running blind just run a few streets at a time. A paper map can't tell where number ranges to a street are or which side is even, and knowing those things before you get on the street is huge.

If you know a route you will have the number ranges memorized. Even blind you can estimate where the number breaks will be. Also, odd numbers are normally on the south and west sides of streets, even are on east and north. You don't learn things like that by just staring at a phone map.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
For in town I'll use my phone to get me to a subdivision. From there Edd will run you into most of the streets.

For rural routes. NOTHING beats a map.

Give me a laminated map a county on the grid system and a dry erase marker and I'll run within half an hour of the regular driver day 1.

wayfair

swollen member
If you know a route you will have the number ranges memorized. Even blind you can estimate where the number breaks will be. Also, odd numbers are normally on the south and west sides of streets, even are on east and north. You don't learn things like that by just staring at a phone map.

here the odd numbers are on the North and East side

even numbers are on the South and West.

one small town I delivered to, the numbers would switch when you got on the North side of town or the East side of town... kinda weird