Cellular Device as GPS

rod

Retired 22 years
You would knock on doors and ask where so and so lived. Most people did know their neighbors and could tell you.

I would run into those who would say "go ask old Joe---he has lived here for a 100 years and knows everybody". The trouble was old Joe was senile and couldn't remember what his dogs name was.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
When you get out in the country you can see strange things but inside towns is more normal. At least with 911 service many odd areas have been renumbered. I remember when you might have a dozen stops with nothing but RR 1.
We have an area that still isn't 911

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
And absolutely no one had their name on the mail box because "everybody knows them". My 1st RR bid was an area that involved 7 different rural routes and 2 small towns that people just addressed their stuff PO Box #. That one had me seriously thinking about leaving UPS-------especially when it came to after dark delivery.

Oh, come on. I had a rural route consisting of nine zip codes. Only one "town" had a named street and even then only one street was named. Everything else was PO boxes and RR numbers. I love it.

mjjlohn

Yeah I don't know about you guys but there's a million streets everywhere with irregular numbering and street ranges. Only with a phone can you know where/how before hand.

By The Book

Oh, come on. I had a rural route consisting of nine zip codes. Only one "town" had a named street and even then only one street was named. Everything else was PO boxes and RR numbers. I love it.
The way po boxes jump around it is a good thing we didn't have Orion back then.

livin the dream

I just use google maps as an actual map. I don't see how that's so different from a paper map. it's the same map, but you can search addresses if you need to. I never use turn by turn

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I prefer to use (and for some reason quite enjoy using) paper maps. However, it's not always possible to have a map on hand covering every road you may have to deal with along the way.

That being said, I keep a load of printed maps with me when I drive. Many times I've come across a road I didn't know and that wasn't on one of my maps. In this instance I will look the road up on my Garmin ($0 per month, fully loaded with maps regardless of reception) and draw an addition or write it in on one of my maps, along with address ranges between intersections as I find them.

All my route maps I keep saved on my computer, so later on, I will go in and permanently edit the map with the new addition that I labeled or drew in, so it will always be there if I must reprint it.

Despite all this, when running Saturday air, I won't hesitate to GPS my way to every single stop (all ten of them), simply because I have the tool and I'm in a different area looking for a different road every single time and frankly don't really care to actually learn it.

upschuck

I did one of those my 2nd day after thanksgiving. At 3pm ish, I called in and the sup said "there is no street names on them?" I brought all the RR's back. Got all the in town stuff done.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
And absolutely no one had their name on the mail box because "everybody knows them". My 1st RR bid was an area that involved 7 different rural routes and 2 small towns that people just addressed their stuff PO Box #. That one had me seriously thinking about leaving UPS-------especially when it came to after dark delivery.
Just get it close they'll figure it out

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Maybe if your in a rural area without many streets. You could look at J8 on a map here and spend 3 minutes trying to find a street, the Google Map app gets you there in 5 seconds max.
Good for you. I'm in this game for the long haul. Maybe if you run fast enough you can come take stops from me.

AKCoverMan

Very unusual. I never heard of any place like that. I have seen oddballs with number on opposite side of street but not every address.

There's a street in a town I cover where some houses are numbered off the town numbering system and some houses Re numbered off the borough system(we have boroughs here instead of counties).

So imagine three lots side by side addressed
12501 East Main Street
715 West Main Street
12551 East Main Street

Get lots of NSNs when rookies run this.