Cellular Device as GPS

Whargoul

Swing driving and going out blind, Google maps app is the best and I laugh at all the old farts who try to tell me otherwise. I had a sup who told me maps were better and then one day we go out to the country and he can't find any of the stops and I whip out google maps and save the day. I mean the phone has a map of everywhere on it plus GPS and internet so I can look up phone numbers or hours of operation. It tells me how many miles from point A to B and how much time it should take to travel. But you keep using your papers maps since you run the same route everyday.

Grey

I use my phone if I can't find the address. When one doesn't exist it's pinpoints a corner or something and says "approximate location".

T

Turdferguson

Swing driving and going out blind, Google maps app is the best and I laugh at all the old farts who try to tell me otherwise. I had a sup who told me maps were better and then one day we go out to the country and he can't find any of the stops and I whip out google maps and save the day. I mean the phone has a map of everywhere on it plus GPS and internet so I can look up phone numbers or hours of operation. It tells me how many miles from point A to B and how much time it should take to travel. But you keep using your papers maps since you run the same route everyday.
Don't need a map if you run the same route every day.

Grey

I bring a tablet and set it on the dash with a map app open all day. It's basically a paper map that follows me around turn for turn.

You need Google Glasses home slice.

Hearing-aid-disruption-6.jpg

rod

Retired 22 years
Years ago I delivered to a plastics molding company that was WAY out in the sticks. Its only address was Acme Plastics ---and the town name--even though it wasn't anywhere near this town. One day the secretary told me they had to order some stuff from out east and the company wouldn't send it UPS because they said we insisted on a street address-not a PO Box #. I told her to make up a street address. From then on out all their stuff came to Acme Plastics--10,000 Plastic Parkway.

chris9834

I use my phone if i pluck in any address it would be the 1st stop of my day on a route i dont know. Then i will just look at the surrounding streets around the address to get a idea, to me there are pros and cons to both phones and maps. I just prefer phone maps because its a pain with the paper map pages flopping around on the dash that and in my area they build new housing additions left and right so the new streets wont be on paper map. That and paper maps are becoming a dead trend due to phones the paper map companies are going under its hard to find a recent map in my region mapsco was the thing and the latest addition i have is 2010. As far as phones go if you run out of battery you are now officially blind foreal or if your phone gets damaged or suffers a melt down, i recommend always having a paper map as a back up, and get a outdoor phone charger i got one from Batteries Plus i paid $30 for it and it will charge my note 3 up 3 times from dead to full battery. Also yes if use gps on every single address it would be absolutely a time killer and a battery killer just use the map as if was a paper map.

SCV good to go sir.

I only use the phone as a last resort. Maps require you to think more, which helps you learn the area knowledge. I have a laminated Thomas Guide in my backpack just in case the phone dies or I'm unable to get maps.

FatherBrown

Smart phones can give you a satellite photo of the stop, which can be very helpful on rural routes if you are unsure of how long the driveway is or whether there is room to turn around.
I do this on dead end streets I'm unfamiliar with for the same reason. If I know there's no place to turn around I can walk it off or back down it.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
I've been covering a rural route this week where it seems like most of the farms have their own "Private Road xxxx" for their driveway. Google Maps has been completely useless. Two things have helped. 1) A map with notations from other cover drivers, that I continue to make notations on, and 2) a local school has a large, labelled satellite image of the area when I get stuck.

ajax25

Depending on whether or not I know the route very well I print out a map in the morning. I do use my phone throughout the day when needed as well but the secret to saving time is using Siri and headphones. I just use the mic on my headphones and simply tell Siri to get me directions to (whatever address) while in walking back to the truck. that way by the time I've got things started back up Siri is giving me turn by turn directions in my ear and I'm already on my way. I only use it when needed and often us it more at night because it tells me exactly when I am in front of the house I'm looking for and I don't waste time trying to find it in the dark.