Center instructed to ignore DIAD training

Catatonic

Nine Lives
We were also told that, "UPS does not insure cardboard. The box may be damaged, but the contents are fine. Do not sheet a package as damaged, unless you know the contents are damaged. blah, blah, blah."

This is the most intelligent post in the thread so far IMO.

Thanks barnyard.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
But who are we, as drivers, to decide whether or not the contents of the package are damaged? Isn't that up to the customer?

Think about what you are suggesting.
You want drivers to open packages on route to determine whether the contents are damaged?
Neither the Teamsters nor UPS would ever agree to that.
Not even management is authorized to do that on route!
UPS does not want to put anybody in a position where their motives and actions can be questioned.

If the customer wants to sign for the package and accept the shipment, they are free to inspect the package to determine if the contents are damaged.

barnyard

KTM rider
If the customer wants to sign for the package and accept the shipment, they are free to inspect the package to determine if the contents are damaged.

and in the comments section type in POT DAM, which is potential damage.

Obviously this is a growing problem. The more smaller shippers we have, the more of a problem it will continue to be. Shippers have to be reminded that insurance is not a replacement for good packing.

kingOFchester

You want drivers to open packages on route to determine whether the contents are damaged?
UPS does not want to put anybody in a position where their motives and actions can be questioned.

But when you have a box of juice leaking all over your shelf, and told to ignore the DIAD training.....well something is amiss in Happy Valley

iowa boy

The whole reason I bring that up Hoax was because I have been instructed not to deliver anything that is open or damaged. Be it a box, bag, or whatever. I delivered a package that was open that contained a comforter set and supposedly was missing something, according to the customer.

So if the box that is open enough to cause any concern for me or a bag with any sort of a tear or opening to make me nervous, I sheet it as "hold for inspection" to CMA.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My DIAD training stated to sheet as MISSED. Supervisor says sheet as NI1. You are saying don't sheet.

We are told to sheet these as futures with check for damage in the remarks column.

Iowa, I type the word "Open" in the remarks column for packages that are not damaged but are open. This gives the customer "leverage" if they have to file a claim.

barnyard

KTM rider
My DIAD training stated to sheet as MISSED. Supervisor says sheet as NI1. You are saying don't sheet.

No.

I am saying that my center manager said, "Do not sheet, bring it to the center, if it is damaged, we will take care of it. If it is not, you will sheet as missed."

Seems over-complicated to me, so I just type, "pot dam" and let the chips fall where they may.

Evidently, last week we returned 2 packages to shippers, saying they were damaged when they were not.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The underlying problem here is simple. We work for a company that is not capable of giving us clear and consistent instructions on how to correctly handle, process and record a potentially damaged parcel.

Something is clearly messed up when we are told by local management to willfully disregard corporate- generated DIAD training.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The underlying problem here is simple. We work for a company that is not capable of giving us clear and consistent instructions on how to correctly handle, process and record a potentially damaged parcel.

Something is clearly messed up when we are told by local management to willfully disregard corporate- generated DIAD training.

I can just see the little nerdy I.E. guy fresh out of college gnashing his teeth and tearing at his clothes because the local pukes will not follow the video he worked so hard to put together.

Time to man up and put on the camo and head out to the outer reaches to put some compliance in the corral.

With chaps!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I can just see the little nerdy I.E. guy fresh out of college gnashing his teeth and tearing at his clothes because the local pukes will not follow the video he worked so hard to put together.

Time to man up and put on the camo and head out to the outer reaches to put some compliance in the corral.

With chaps!

UPS has every right to establish whatever policy it wishes regarding the correct handling and recording of damaged packages, and to instruct its drivers to follow that policy.

All I am saying...as a driver....is "make up your mind, UPS!"

I personally could care less what the policy is, I just need it to be consistent.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
UPS has every right to establish whatever policy it wishes regarding the correct handling and recording of damaged packages, and to instruct its drivers to follow that policy.

All I am saying...as a driver....is "make up your mind, UPS!"

I personally could care less what the policy is, I just need it to be consistent.

Consistency is so boring!

barnyard

KTM rider
Customers are paying for shipping. That includes getting/shipping their items in packaging that's in decent shape. That's how I look at it.

I do not think you are looking at that correctly.

Very few customers pack their items per UPS guidelines. If a package is packed in paperboard, there is no way it is going through the system undamaged. Same thing if a package has 2 or 3 labels on it. That box is going to zig zig through the system until it is cardboard dust. A box that has been reused 10 times, at the bottom of a tier, is going to crush. Is that our fault??? I think not. How about the packages that fall because the tier fell because of the too many times reused box???

For the most part, packages that are packed per the guidelines make it through the system just fine. The ones that mess the system up and wreck it for everyone are the ones that are not.

CAFAL

so you're paid to receive training and then told to disregard.....I'm sure UPS stockholders would love to know of this blatant waste of money

Actually when sheeted as damaged,it's an automatic refund. We are told to sheet as refused and out "poss dam" in remarks. Most packages aren't damaged. They are inspected and repacked. Don't think shareholders would like to pay damages when package can be repacked and delivered the next day.

kingOFchester

Actually when sheeted as damaged,it's an automatic refund. We are told to sheet as refused and out "poss dam" in remarks. Most packages aren't damaged. They are inspected and repacked. Don't think shareholders would like to pay damages when package can be repacked and delivered the next day.

Customer happens to be or know someone high up in the chain of command. The higher up comes down on the center, will your management team tell corporate that they instructed you to sheet as refused? Will they take the heat for falsifying records?